Announcing SotA Con at Gen Con 2015!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Caveloot.com Owner, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stile

stile Avatar

Did you go in 2014 and want to go again in 2015? Did you miss it in 2014 and after hearing how cool it was you wish you had went?

No worries, I am doing it again for 2015! Announcing SotA Con @Gen Con 2015!

Visit the Facebook group to sign up for the event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/846526838737100/

Last year I hosted a player meet at Gencon. This was a series of various meets at different places at different times so that people could enjoy the convention as well as meet players from SotA! You can see some photos

I am doing it again this year but with some lessons learned from last year I expect it to be better!

So here is the plan. I am going to Gen con this year as a single day trip only. I will arrive early Saturday morning on 8/1/15. I plan on spending the day enjoying the convention.

The players meet will take place at 8pm across the street at circle mall, in Granite city. Like last year I will get a private room. This is pending my ability to make reservations as the event gets closer and I have a head count!

I expect the meet and dinner will last approximately 4 hours, at which time we can all go our own ways (and I will be heading back home).

I will have a phone number I will give out prior to the event I can be texted on. Please keep it private so that I don’t have to burn it afterwards!
    -Event Details​
    If you are going to be at Gen Con longer and want to host events on other days, please let me know and I will make you a host on the event page so you cant set them up!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  2. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I think I'll go again this year. It was pretty fun. Anyone else thinking about it?

3. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Spoon likes this.
  4. stile

stile Avatar

I got it scheduled,, woot! Getting some goings already, and its a ways off and i just set it up.. so its looking promising. I just gave Bill Kirkman a shout out to see if he might come again as well.

https://www.facebook.com/events/846526838737100/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

After the mistakes learned last year, I think it will be a better event. First of all people know where to go.. second of all I have a google phone number set up to forward to my cell i can give out for it. If i ever hae an issue with it, i delete it.. acts as a burner for no cost. I can get text or voice calls on it :)

So if people have trouble finding the place I can try to help get them there faster, but i can describe it better at the outset to avoid issues.

I know what the room is like, ill have a better idea of what to expect, etc....

Im only going to run it for one night though, saturday night for about 4 hours. Maybe 5. So a decent amount of time but not a ton, allows people to enjoy the con fully.

I figure if anyone else wants to coordinate something else over the con, i can make them a host on the event and the can set up other meets.. but for me, I want to do it again this year but i want to keep it a little less simple. Last year was just to much.. part of it was the hernia surgery.. I should have went at all but the doctor had really under-rated how major the recovery period was.. IM STILL in pain at varying degrees from day to day, although i can finally tell at this point its good healing pain and things are starting (i think) to get back to normal.. but that tells you how bad of an idea it was to be doing that a week after :)

So still want to go this year and do it, but just going to keep it to a single evening meet for myself this time! but i figure others can spinoff that for more if they want!

5. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I'll be going so...

bump ;)

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

When is GenCon ? I'd really like to go for a change if it's possible. Is it in Indianapolis again ?

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

"Join gamers from all 50 states and more than 40 countries for the event of the summer, Gen Con 2015, taking place in Indianapolis from July 30 - August 2, 2015." -https://www.gencon.com/

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I'll bring a DSLR with a wide angle lense :) I'm not a photographer though! :D

9. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Can't travel this year unless we have to (hubby is up further on the list, so we need to stick close to home), so party for me too!! :D

10. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I really wish I could go this year but my body is not up to it. I am feeling better than I was last year but I'm still not well enough to get into all of the trouble that I'd like. I hope that you guys have a great time but not such a great time that we don't get ourselves permabanned from GenCon... while I'm not there to deny that SoTA would do such things!

licemeat likes this.
  11. stile

stile Avatar

I was just thinking this past weekend (mainly thanks to gencons newsletter i got), that I needed to start spending a little focus on this as its creeping up close quickly!!!

Im going to call Granite City in the next day or two and get one of the private rooms reserved again. It was fantastic last year!

Id encourage anyone who has ever thought about going to Gencon but has always been on the fence, to let this be the bit that pushes you over! I can completely understand not going! Its easy for me as im 3 hours away. However if its something that nothings really stopping you from doing it, then id say go for it!

Its hard not to have a good time at Gencon, no matter what your into. Theres a little something for everyone as long as your willing to try to have fun and look for it, youll find it. If you want to do events, and not just the stuff thats always going (like vendors, auction, etc).. be sure to go to the Gen Con site and look at the events and register. Some events only allow so many people and then they close for registration.

I HIGHLY recommend signing up for any of Tracy Hickmans events also.. he knows how to entertain a group and its a blast!

Personally this year im going to skip doing any events this year and im just keeping it simple :). Auction, vendors, food, the sota meet and food, back to home :)

FrostII and Doctor like this.
  12. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Hmmm... Drive to Indiana for dinner and then return...
    That'd be crazy.
    Right?

13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Definitely but maybe crazy fun too?

14. stile

stile Avatar

Not Crazy at all, if got nothing else going on and would have a good time!

Well talk about it this weekend!

Duke Violation and Sir Frank like this.
  15. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Have a good time and I could distribute Dead Horse Ducats.
    That could be reason enough.

16. stile

stile Avatar

NICE!

Ill up the ante!

You can follow me home Saturday after the dinner meet, and your welcome to use my guest room before making the trip home Sunday. Can do brunch sunday at a local place near me called macadoos. Great food and ill buy!

Sophi and FrostII like this.
  17. stile

stile Avatar

RESERVATIONS ARE FINALIZED (no i haven't been slacking, had some troubles).

Ok, Reservations have been finalized but with a slight change to the location. Reservations are for at Champps, which is across the street in the same mall as Granite City.

Probably wont be quite as comfortable as a private room at Granite city but im rather miffed with them. I think they may be having some internal structural issues.. It took me 4 weeks to make a reservation being passed from person to person and playing phone tag, until I finally spoke to the General manager. His statement was that one of the other people I talked to had already been told to take all gen con reservations.. Then he wanted to give me a 600.00 minimum for the group. I could go on, but suffice it to say I didn't feel it was a good option.

I Called Champps and they took care of the request immediately, where very polite and friendly, great service, etc. Menu probably wont be quite as expansive but its decent, they have alcohol, and its family friendly. I will also cost less than Granite City which im sure many can appreciate.

I have a reservation for 15-20 from 8pm until close (1am). I feel confident well have at least 10 based on confirmations ive gotten (heck im 3-5 in my group alone), and if we went over 20 I doubt itd be a huge amount. So I figure long as where close theyll be ok with it. Where just shy of 15 at the moment, with 4 weeks to go so I think the number is solid.

It honestly is very hard to get a reservation anywhere during Gencon, which is why I was happy with Granite city last year. Most places just refuse to take them and you have to wait for up to 3 hours for a large group..

Heres the details of our location:
    http://www.simon.com/…/circle-cent…/stores/champps-americana

I Was really hoping with this being year two to establish a good relationship for a annual reservation with Granite City. A bit disappointed that seems to not going to be able to work out but maybe Champps will turn out to be the answer.

Spoon and Sir Frank like this.
  18. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Looking forward to this. The sneak peek at upcoming board games is great. The shopping is great. The hanging out with SotA folks is great... overall this is a lot of fun. HUZZAH!!!

19. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I'm so excited for you guys! Remember: do not get permabanned! I'll still deny that you guys would do whatever they would ban you for but I just want to be able to deny it morw vividly... yeah that's it!

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

I'll be at GenCon this year.

Hope to see some SoTA folks !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.