Concerns about Cash Items

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haukeye, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haukeye

Haukeye Avatar

Seriously though. All you keep doing is adding more cash grabs. Why not give a little back to those people who are testing the game, you know the people who backed you? Instead of trying to bleed us for money.

Don't get me wrong, I like the cash items too, but for cryin out loud why not toss some freebies to the backers too? You know like gosh guys n gals we sure do appreciate you! I don't want to hear people say well gee we do get the hats. I have well over 1600 dollars backed in this game and it really gets old seeing cash grab after cash grab.
    Heck instead of the cash grabs why not try to promote the stretch goals? Like the mounts? Sorry if I am ranting, as I Am sure I will not make many friends with this post, but I can not be the only one who feels this way.

iansmellios, Isaiah, jkinkead and 8 others like this.
  2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Lies!

3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I love buying things.........more please.....more.

4. Zerk2012

Zerk2012 Avatar

What did you expect they need more money so at the end of 2015 they can announce the new release date is expected in Q2 or 2016, then year end 2016, then Q2 2017.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hey Hauk and of course you are not the only one, but a misdirected one of them.;) We have to have this money for the game. If the game does not have more money they can't hire more developers, add more features that we want. If you look at games like STWOR (Star Wars Old Republic), although we are not them, it cost 200 million to make. Please don't vote for restricting the cash flow right now in development. We have 5 episodes to fund and there would be nothing worse than a game that is less than it can be due to budget restraints. Let us get up there with Star Citizens budget, please, please, please or pass them up. Go SOTA Go!:)

Sophi, Dinsoo [MGT], FrostII and 6 others like this.
  6. Haukeye

Haukeye Avatar

I am not saying they should stop. And if they are low on funds? Well they did a poor job with the kickstarter then. MY point is why not give a little instead of asking for money at every turn. I have a right to my opinion, heck I bought into the hype. I just think give a little back instead of asking for more all the time.

licemeat, Ice Queen and Dewderonomy like this.
  7. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

This game is crowd funded. Meaning that we, the backers and devoted supporters, are largely footing the bill for its development. If you read the latest update you will know that they are looking for two more staff members (scene builder, vfx artist) - this is a GOOD THING, as it means more and faster content in the game.
    These guys would like to eat, just like the rest of us. So it's a matter of "innovative ways to raise money". Many of us (me as well who has somewhat more than $1600 in the game) really like this stuff, and every dollar raised gets us a better game.
    If you don't want to buy all the cool stuff that's OK - your choice and privilege. Just reflect that it is all helping to power the game so it can be all that we want it to be.

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

What do you want them to give......I mean there is a hat quest, there is a virtue quest that gives items as well.....there is the $10 bonus at the moment. The last thing i'd want is them opening up quests just so people get items......thats better left until the game launches.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well perhaps they did, but kickstarters are only to get the game started, not sure why you are upset, we are doing fine. Not very much of a game can be made on 1 million and yes the wording should be help us get this game started and that yes we will need more cash later, but spilt milk we are hopefully getting it now. I'd say they are giving a lot back and what is it that you want given back to you? We get to participate in early showings of this game, interact with Devs, get pledge rewards, sometimes get new and unexpected wonderful features, we get to have our feedback make a difference. Hmmm not sure what you are upset about. You will have to be more clear. I am happy to share when I have it. Let me know.:)

10. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

If you backed during the Kickstarter then you have gotten some extra rewards-founder and Darkstar rewards-for free.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Deliverence, Ronan, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  11. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I would like to see much more added to the store. This is how the game gets funded! Items to buy for our houses and our character are good for the game. You do not have to buy them. It's not free to make this game...I don't understand why anyone would be bothered by this...Sheesh...

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sorry to rebuke you Majoria but many very excellent games have been made on less than a million, some even in some peoples free time... games that are still played to this day all over the planet.

Star wars is a strange comparison because 180 millions goes to the "cinematic" company which have to buy the rights for 150 millions, rofl... lemme laugh a bit here, I probably wouldn't have replied to this topic weren't it for this absurdity.

"yarn often costs more than the shirt itself" kinda half-step logic.

Have you ever walked into studios like that ? do you know what kind of hierarchy they usually use ?

It's impossible you would think that way if you knew. While I agree Portalarium is doing a good job, I don't know how many shortcuts they took without releaving it to us because of all the secrecy going around which reminds me of 10 years I spent with EA.

Although I see a light at the end of the tunel that I didn't see with EA, it dosen't keep me from complaining to the tunnel miners, especially that I gotta breathe in here and they didn't even think of installing a ventilation system.

I say it since the start : one step at a time.

13. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

I wouldn't mind the constant store updates, if they weren't now starting to sell to things which are edging towards core features at full game price; pavers, teletype machines and new radios at $30? It's just asking too much and trying too hard to tempt people to spend large sums at once.
    I want the game to be funded, I really do, but they really need to put much, much more budget fripperies in instead of big ticket items. And perhaps add them to the Stretch Goals to get them completed and give everyone something. Like a $1 "Yaaargh" emote under the Sailing Stretch goal. A $1 rare decorative hay bale for pack animals...
    Honestly, I've recently taken a new job and have more disposable income again, but the thing really putting me off funding more is I personally feel the financial focus is losing it's way.

14. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Who does it hurt to have things for us to buy? Also, they give us a free hat every release and other free things here and there...

I have been hoping they'd start adding many things to the add-on store for years...Now that they do it what happens? Complaints about it...And why? I just don't understand...Why can't we just be happy when good things happen? I'm beyond frustrated to hear complaints about helping fund our game. I want it to go beyond 10M in funding...Sorry but I want a good and fun game. I want features galore. Let's just be happy when the amount of funding to the game goes higher instead of saying it only needed 1M...We all know that it's impossible to make a good game that cheap.

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ummm well why would you even want to rebuke me, I don't get that. As to the comparison, if you read my post I said we are not that stature of a game and will not be. We will be whatever stature we get funding for limited to a Unity Engine. You are welcome to your thoughts. So stand by more funding or don't that is your choice. You will not change my thinking on 'wanting this game to get more funding'. Jumping on something I said is fine, but the point to me is always 'please more funding for this game'. I will advocate it until there is no more time to advocate for it.

Sophi, Spoon, Womby and 2 others like this.
  16. Mortanius

Mortanius Avatar

I think this would be nice... or give us a quest to get this item:
    https://d2sx9mrt4zumaq.cloudfront.n..._10207147013299157_3594808240401449079_o1.jpg

17. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

At first read I was onboard to help make the case for loyalty-based rewards, but in retrospect, I looked through that long list of exclusive content and perks I already earned through my backing. Just in (happily) climbing the hill to Ancestor, I've accumulated what amounts to a literal s**t ton of freebies and benefits. In addition, being able to take advantage of other items, like the prosperity tool packs, that may ultimately someday no longer be available...and I'm good.

18. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I'd like to join the "give me more free stuff" camp whether or not they add and charge for things in the store. I pledged to get stuff and more additional stuff at no charge is even better. I want so much stuff that I can't see my stuff.

19. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

SWTOR didn't cost 200mil to make, it cost 50 million for advertising, 50 million for George Lucas licensing, 50 million for Yachts for EA executives, and 50 million to make the game. Star Citizen has a bigger budget than SWTOR, Star Citizen currently has 84 million in funding. CR has said he plans on spending $0 on advertising, which is why he doesn't pay for it, he does interviews and goes to conventions, so theoretically he does spend convention money but it's not the same as the $50 million in banner ads and commercials SWTOR had everywhere. Also CR doesn't need or want to pocket the money, he claims to actually want to make a game.

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Milady Majoria,

I totally don't understand why you think I was saying that !

The rebuke was about the attitude to come in a thread and justify, relativise the devs. It's not a good logic unless you have something to propose as an alternative, and telling people to stop investing or go somewhere else if they're not happy isn't mature or wise or anything at all actually.

It's just so offending, like for me to say that seeing things like that dosen't make me want to continue investing... we lack information, even in dev+ there is tons of critical info we don't have for us to "participate" in the building of this game with our feedback properly.

I've beta tested so many games and been treated like a real human but here I feel like a hamster in a spinning wheel... Ultima online cost about 5-6 millions to make... and there is a WORLD of difference when I look at every single aspect.

Don't start with me about inflation...

*growls*

*bows*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.