Concerns about Cash Items

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haukeye, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I'm not against trying to bring in money to fund the game at all, but I would like to see some sort of campaign to push the stretch goals, especially the mounts.

2. Haukeye

Haukeye Avatar

Maybe this sums it up better than I could say. I would like to see more effort put into the stretch goals. IF they put half the effort into those as they do the add on store I think it would all be funded by now. I am saying spread the love. Not take it away. And if they are hurting to make this game with 6.5 million dollars, then something is costing way to much.

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

If you see an item for sale in the AddOn's store and you think it's a good value, then buy it. If it is not, to you, a good value - then do not buy it.
    I think that having lots of addons in the store is a good thing for all of us... Since there's nothing there that is game-changing, nobody is forced to buy anything in order to compete...

At least, that's the way I approach it........ ;)

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Im sorry your experience here is like that and no comparing UO either. It was made in 1997, but truly. I'm not sure what the fuss is. I am trying to make you feel like anything, that is up to you. I welcome you, I am available to help you at anytime, whenever I speak up it is for my thoughts on what I think for this game. Personally I don't put down a person, we need many types of diversity to flesh out the game. So I don't want to have a conversation about you or me, just about the game. I feel we need more cash and perhaps you don't or not since I'm not sure. You can always ask me for help or assistance and Im not here ot criticise you so of course I am not doing that. You have your own ideas and they are yours. So **cheers as always**

Womby and Lord Baldrith like this.
  5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

It's very alright, and I did say sorry for rebuking you, so it kinda makes it alright... there is just no "advocate" for portalarium since you can't lawyer them bros anyways :p

Just let the criticism come, and hopefully some of the ideas I and others I liked shared will be considered, there is no reason ever I would want less cash, but you can't account for that so let it be what it is.

There really isn't any problem per say... everything shall fall into place, and that means me too I guess, since we're being led blindly by the nose. What do we have to lose right ? Our sanity ?

Nothing so serious...

6. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

People nowadays are spoiled, they want every thing and best free.
    Today making a game with only 6.5 Mill budged in that scale with all the featurs we want, its not easy to do.
    I dont mind the addon Store Items. Peaple who want support can buy them or not.
    I think some of the prices are little bit high, special since most of the items in the addon stare are 75% -50% off.
    I musst say i would haddnt bought so much if this all would had been full price.

All gimik items like, decorations, capes, mask ect, arnt by any means a advanteg to buy. If you like them or they fitt your char or home, buy them.
    Thinks like teletyper the new radio, are need, but you are not forced to buy them again, its optional.
    Houses are ok, wy? Most pleadg reward houses have more space inside, than the houses you can buy. (wich is a bummer^^)
    They look cool but only few are realy usfull if you are looking for a lot of space.

Sophi and Logain like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

"Although BioWare has not disclosed development costs, industry leaders and financial analysts have estimated it to be between $150 million and $200 million or more, making it, at the time, the most expensive video game ever made."

Yes no worries I was just going from reading the above. Its not important and not a good game comparison for SOTA since we aren't in the same development class, not to say we can't be extra special for what we are though with a reasonable amount of funding. I do occasionally play the game and I can imagine a game that has every single quest have voice and cinamatic with your character speaking to the quest giver would be a bit pricy. ;)

8. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

When SWTOR subscriptions started tanking they force auto-subbed everyone for 3 months, they did it with me, and many others, I saw the threads, illegal force auto-sub for 3 months, even though I specified after my first 3 months to un-sub. Shortly after release they started circulating how expensive and amazing the voice acting was how it had more voice acting (most expensive) than any other game ever made. So I wouldn't take their word for anything, they are pretty much dishonest in my opinion. That's the impression I get when a company auto subs and forces my debit card to subscribe to something I manually un-subbed from.

There seems to be a medium needed for a successful game, that is lost when a development team has too much pressure, not enough pressure, too much money, not enough money, etc. Let's hope we have the right ingredients. I'd say whatever ingredients SWTOR had was a failure. They had too much money, too little focus, it's almost as if the original concept meetings were this... "WoW clone with a Star Wars skin?, sounds good to me". They had a bounty hunting class and never had bounty hunting, talk about a waste. I could go on and on.

Ultima VII was amazing, it had a 1 million dollar budget. Which is roughly 1.7 million dollars today but that was single player.

Ultima Online's prototype had a budget of a quarter million dollars. Which is roughly $376,000 today.

I'd say we have a good chance at a great game, we just need to support the team and, perhaps game design is more expensive today, but the tools are there and a great game can be made.

Sophi, Ahuaeynjgkxs, Acred and 2 others like this.
  9. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

This post edited!

Razimus likes this.
  10. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

It's a typo. I was talking about SWTOR. You have to admit when talking about both SOTA and SWTOR it's not too difficult to get the two acronyms mixed up.

Plz edit the misquote, reminds me of the time I was talking about Star Citizen and the guy puts my quote in bold yellow attempting to deceive people into thinking I was talking about SOTA. The illegal forced 3 month sub fiasco for SWTOR is famous though. It was the first time I saw such a desperate attempt to retain subs, as if those players would magically enjoy being held at gunpoint to play their game.

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  11. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I edited my post since it's not needed anymore. :)

Edward Newgate likes this.
  12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I guess I don't mind the store at all. There is one thing that bugs me though. I wish they would clarify what will and what will not be available in game after launch and can be bought with in game gold.

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes they are making the game. Let's move on. My thought is they may not have known how popular the game was going to be. We have great ideas that need funded. This idea has taken off and evolved. Sorry you begrudge that, I definitely do not. I never wanted a skimped on, low budget game. When I heard about Shrouds, I wanted all that was possible and I still do. I have no bad feelings and am not dwelling on something from the past. **cheers**

14. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Early Access on Steam did more harm then good.

The budgeted for a mil, got it, now struggling to complete with 6.

Milking existing players for more cash.

So question is why make a budget if you need more? Why sell more cosmetics from store (yes I know if you dont like dont buy /agree)

You just gotta google search SOTA and see the perceived P2W that is out there (I dont see it like that but perception is everything).

It is perceived as money grubbing by people outside the community and by some inside therefore its money grubbing.

The consumer is correct. I am really wondering if the game is going to bring new players who havent already backed furthermore for those of us who have already backed substantial amounts our bonus and perks will be perceived as an advantage over late comers or people who purchase on release which again creates the Pay to Win stigma to perspective customers.

Personally, I think (and yes just another opinion in the sea of opinions out there) that the add on store is in poor taste when it is adding vanity items in this stage of development instead of working hard to produce a product people enjoy, to change perceptions of it in the wider gaming community and create a product that will have a larger player base then we have now so that the pledge rewards arent so obvious. I get that micro transactions are the future but I would rather it be for content and extra quests then masks etc.

TLDR? Didnt really say anything important lol

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Hauk and Dewderonomy like this.
  15. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

Are they struggling? I haven't been keeping up with current events. Did they publish a budget stating how much has been utilized of the 6 million? I don't know how transparent they are.

16. jkinkead

jkinkead Avatar

I am a loyal back and loved UO but I feel as well that everything seems to be for profit in a huge way. I mean, really a crowd fun to create ride-able mounts? I really want to speak well about the game but it seem every other minute it is give us money for this, back this, buy this and then we get a 10$ credit when purchasing 10$. I think OP has a solid complaint but it seems everyone is just ready to throw him under the bus as not courageously supporting the game.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Hauk and Dewderonomy like this.
  17. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

The mount stretch goal was for ep1. It will come in ep2 for free

steanne likes this.
  18. TantX

TantX Avatar

In 1-2 years after launch (est. 2017-2018). Episode 2, additionally, will not be free.

Hauk likes this.
  19. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I mean it will be part of ep2 and not an stretch goal again or only available over add on

20. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I think a lot of the complaints actually have to do with the level of participation the community feels they have. The one thing Star Citizen has done, and, been very successful with, is an organized way for the community to feel involved. The "nickel and diming" and"why are we not further along? " feelings comes directly from players not feeling incorporated into the game decisions(just my opinion). I've watched both games very closely and this seems to be the difference.

SotA is proud of the fact that there is no marketing budget, but is making a poll on which mob(etc.) should be designed next considered marketing? The coolest part of Star Citizen is that when you are buying a ship you feel like you've walked into a dealership and the brochures make you want to buy a ship. Is that considered marketing? The housing page on the website was an excellent start to this but has died on the vine. I truly believe with these two items alone we could be at double the population and budget.

At some point, I would like to have a discussion on how to draw in more people instead of relying on a small population to carry the game forward. Don't get me wrong, I own at least one of every item that has ever been put out and think SotA can be a huge success. The frustration for me always comes from seeing the potential and missed opportunity.

I guarantee we wouldn't be having these discussions if there was a large population and 25 million to work with. How do we accomplish this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.