Concerns about Cash Items

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haukeye, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

We could make a list with extras since Kickstarter?

i will start:

Swimming
    Jumping
    Basements
    PoTs

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I am talking about what the community demanded and partly got.
    Senash got it right with the list.
    Thats what costs more money.

3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Multiplayer SOTA is not a game where "getting ahead" means becoming a King/Lord or acquiring town/castle ownership. If that is a player's ambition, the planned Single Player version may possibly provide a means to achieve that end.

For the most part, high level backers who own towns, castles, etc, are extremely engaged individuals who are contributing their time and creativity to make the world of SOTA more interesting for everyone. Many are organizing community events and tournaments, providing rental housing for people who can't afford to buy their own property, and making plans for community-run quests. Town owners who want to attract visitors are working hard to make their towns attractive for future residents and visitors alike. Everyone in the game profits from these efforts, especially new players who don't have the means to spend a lot of real world cash.

If you decide to play the game, you will easily find players who are more than happy to help new players get a footing in the game.

4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

That is very understandable and i often feel the same way when browsing for a new game. The only things from the pledge rewards and store that feel like any sort of purchased advantage to me, is the housing (as you mentioned). Putting aside the fact that you don't actually need a house to play and assuming that everybody wants one for one reason or another, i look at the plans that people have for their holdings. The majority of player town owners are looking to build communities and very few are restricting their towns to their own guilds and groups, they are actively seeking to attract residents and traffic. The town owners themselves can not make use of their entire town, they have just purchased control of its initial design and the ability to decide who lives there. There are quite allot of town owners with a variety of plans but the thing that most of them have in common is that they want people to both visit and reside on their land. With the future ability to subdivide and share housing there is many opportunities to be a part of one of these communities and in many cases the only cost is that you don't disrupt their events and roleplay.

5. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

This has been going on for ages with people trying to get technical about what the definition of Pay2Win rather than looking at the microtransactions as a thing in themselves

and then they bring out "pay for bank slots"

Defend it now

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Sure, you can buy bank slots with gold in game.

7. High Baron Asguard

You do realise what pay to win means don't you. it doesn't just mean the ONLY way to win is to pay, it means that you can just pay real cash to skip the game

8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Bank slots are cheap in game, the only reason to pay cash for them at all is if you bought a ton of useless decorative collectibles from the store and are going to begin the game with a bank filled beyond capacity.

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Bug report ? :p

Rollplay... I read rollplay and my brain froze... "its what SOTA is all about"

10. High Baron Asguard

Please reread that. Your saying that these pay2win microtransactions are perfectly ok because you will only need them if you get sucked into buying OTHER things from the devs the way they clearly want you to.

Ummm, ok, right.

Lets look at your argument and see if it makes sense. If I am PAYING to buy something don't you think as a customer it would be pretty much expected (and fairly so) that I should be able to take possession of that item. I have never had my playstation jump up and down at me because I have bought to many items and it now wants me to pay to upgrade its download list so I can take possession. Neither has steam (and I have bought a few of the bundles so there are a fair amount of items in that store), providing the product IS PART OF SELLING THE PRODUCT

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I realise you have just logged in for the first time recently but that is not how it works. You start with it all available to you, the bank will be filled beyond capacity. You just wont be able to put more stuff IN to the bank until you take it out. I think you are trying really hard to find problems that do not exist for the sake of arguing and i don't really feel like an argument.

Gaelis, Lord Baldrith, Sophi and 4 others like this.
  12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

This game has A LOT of stuff we can talk and discuss about. P2W is just not one of them. I can not see p2w in this game so far.
    Your definition of p2w seems rather strange to me.

13. jkinkead

jkinkead Avatar

I think it is reasonable to say that micro-transactions are impacting the game.

Dewderonomy, sn0tub and Atogrim like this.
  14. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Even in this pre-alpha I have noticed that titles/pledges can easily be overcome. I see people without houses or titles become an integral part of the game. Sometimes I wonder if pledging high isn't selling yourself short in some of the game play. Not to say I don't want to see people pledging high but I don't see it as a barrier of entry as large as some perceive it.

15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Oh, it is.

16. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

This is a concern I have since a long time: a few people doing everythng.

Besides the risk that they will get too much influence over the development direction, I fear also the burn out effect.

OTOH, I've seen in first person how easy is to get into the right circles of involved people, because they're an impressively welcoming bunch, even with total strangers, and I think this is an asset, and not a liability.

17. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Because crowdfunding is this. If I wanted a traditionally funded game, I wouldn't pay with my wallet for the setup costs, and let a publisher do it - like it happens with the majority of the other electronic entertainment products.

I want to be part of a niche. This is a niche. A nice niche. But a niche nonetheless.

Every expansion of GTAV has been free, so far. There are other business models, relying on other types of cash flows.

The sooner we accept that, the better.
    The strange small skull.

One or thirty thousands of them. (Hi Athanil!)

Nepenthor, Atogrim and Sophi like this.
  18. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I think the overriding question is how long did it take to develop?

*edit- Dark Souls

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Nepenthor and Atogrim like this.
  19. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

I prefer the option of the cash-shop. I have VERY limited time to play. Back in 97', playing UO, I could barely afford the monthly fee, but had plenty of free time. Now it's reversed. I see the cash-shop as a way to help me in game to enjoy every minute of game play and not grind for gold or hope there is a lot free by the time I have the gold in a few months. The basic tax-free lot over a year time-frame is around $22/mo. I've had an active account in UO since 1997 and plan to stick with this one for a long time as well. So I'm willing to invest in the game to have that freedom. I could save up millions of gold and simply buy a house from another player, but "ain't nobody got time for that" anymore.

20. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

+100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.