Public Forum Posting Privileges $5 Nice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I'm glad they added this. A lot less spam/trolls. And, it worked for other games. So, for those on the fence, just get the lowest pledge and bam, instant forum access and, a digital download of the game + current testing access. What more could you ask for.

2. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

If there was a game I was interested in and had to pay $5 to get a couple questions answered... I'd find another game. There are plenty of people who are trust worthy on this forum who would love to have something to do like handle the LOVE REVENGE BLACK MAGIC kind of spam if given the privilege. If they are going to charge then make it 99 cents or something that doesn't sound like they are trying to make money off a forum. Disclaim it is for spam... something.

Tarsin, Freeman, Brandon3 and 6 others like this.
  3. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

For questions they can still enter the chat or?

4. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Steam did the same and implemented also the Rule , that you need to have at least spend 5 Dollars to be able to leave a Early Access Review for example.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/steam-limits-users-who-haven-t-spent-5-to-prevent-/1100-6426742/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about if you spend 5 Dollars on the game and later decide to purchase Shroud of the Avatar the 5 Dollars become right away Add on Store Credit?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  5. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

People can always email support@portalarium.com, but it would probably be a good idea to put a contact link on the homepage when users are logged out. Personally I don't like having to actually register for a forum to get my questions answered, so not sure charging for forum posting is that big a deal. The SPAM filled forums would be a bigger black eye to people looking up the product, and that does not even consider the poor mods and staff having to clean things up.

6. Gix

Gix Avatar

It wasn't until I pledged for SotA that I realized that some people were still using IRC. Seriously, most people I know wouldn't have bothered... much less register for the forums.

So I don't think the 5$ barrier being that big of a deal but I can understand why some people think so.

Nepenthor likes this.
  7. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

5$ for the ability to post is a joke. Also not everyone lives in USA. Here many people earn about 1,5-2$ per hour so even stupid 5$ is something to consider twice before spending. Even 1$ is enough to scare spammers/bots/most of the trolls away. I wouldn't charge anything though. It's Internet and we have right of free speech. It's mods duty to ban those who break rules and keep watch over the forums.

Dewderonomy and Logain like this.
  8. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

And here we go. There is NO RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH on someone else's forum/server. They own it and pay for it, they decide the rules.

9. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

As Sean said.,We are playing in another's backyard(server), they can impose any restrictions they want..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2015
  10. Logain

Logain Avatar

Has this been decided (and done), or are you requesting that step? If it has been added, where can I read about it?
    To be honest and blunt, I'd never pay $5 just to post. I'd simply leave the forum and hardly consider purchasing the product in such a case.

Dewderonomy and licemeat like this.
  11. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

I think you misunderstood me. You DO have a right to speak whatever you want but there are consequences stated in the rules. The owner of the server/forum/whatever has the right to enforce those rules on you (especially when you agree to them when registering). You still have the RIGHT to say what you want. You can't be sued over this unless you break an actual law. You can't however sue the owner from banning you because of the agreement to the rules.

And don't get me wrong - I do hate trolls/spammers as much as you do :)

Nepenthor and Duchess Wyldemane like this.
  12. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Click the pledge page, it's the lowest pledge, $5, forum posting privileges. Ah it's gone! Well it was there last night.

licemeat likes this.
  13. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, I saw it show up last night too, but figured they were testing for the ability to turn it on until an actual decision was made.

14. tphilipp

tphilipp SotA Dev Moderator SOTA Developer

Yeah... that the tile was showing (and messed up all the other tiles' layout) was a glitch due to a misunderstanding, internally... ;)
    Here's the official announcement and reasoning behind this, that just went out: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=51431

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't think its a good idea; so I hope if this is what the dev team decides that the situation is as temporary as possible.

Just so the devs know, I've seen the same spammers post on another site (on Neowin.net) so its hard to say it was a targeted attack.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes you can check their names on the internet. I did that with one spammer name and it led to a 'League of Legends' forum where they were also spamming. I think it is ok to have this be temporary. We have a lot to do and that has to be considered. Some may not like it but it is what is for now. Well imo that is.;)

17. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Wow, I think this will have a far more negative effect revenue wise then what the spamming was doing. I own a large forum that is a far bigger target for spammer/hackers and have done just fine, despite taking my fair share of big hits, without crippling my site like this decision will do. After all, you want SotA to grow like a weed don't you? I know I do for my site. Perhaps Xenforo is an inferior forum software afterall compared to Vbulletin.

There has got to be a better way.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  18. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

I reserve the right (as always) to be wrong, but I think this is a non issue.

19. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Star Citizen closed forum access to non-pledgers a while ago and it never effected me. I guess it effected non-pledgers that were gifted a game package. Maybe there's an optional route, but asking questions on here isn't always the best in my opinion. I had time to kill so I watched every E3 2015 video on youtube at work today, concerning SotA, there aren't that many, and I think there are more than enough interviews, player videos, forum posts, to cover every question a new player can possibly ask.

20. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

I'm for squashing any trolls, and having interested folks only participating.

Forgive me, but what is the yellow (Green?) corner on my avatar mean? I searched for forum badges with no findings. Some folks seem to have them, and others don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.