Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Late comming but Overland Map - Slow and nights are WAY too Dark, also a simple scale map??

Discussion in 'Release 18 Feedback' started by Weins201, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I wonder if the world map were bigger and the walking speed were increased as well if it would satisfy some people

2. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I don't care about this immersion you speak of, I care about fun. This slow travel is Causing me to quit, it's way past no desire to travel, it's.. I have to travel all the way over there for that? Screw this, click. I have less aggravating things to do with my time then play a game where they waste my time with no return.

Budner, Drystone, Caliya and 3 others like this.
  3. Culann

Culann Avatar

I've found I seem to have a natural resistance to the current 'darkness' of the overland map...perhaps because of years of playing (err, conditioned by) comp games with very little, if any, true darkness. The more I travel on the overland map, the more I like it. Yes, it's dark and it is challenging to travel unfamiliar territory, but I've got my regular travel routes down and while traveling those, I tend to look up at the sky a lot more (as I always do in RL darkness outside) and have a greater sense of actually being outside at night. It's a change for sure, but then I believe change is good when it breaks one out of past conditioning/habits/expectations.

By Tor [MGT] and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Referring to the "Wall of Quotes" that I posted yesterday, EMPstrike said:
    Ok, to be fair, the posts came from 21 different people and 2 other different people have expressed the same view since yesterday, for a total of 23 different people.

Ok, let's see your list of people who enjoy the darkness of the Overworld Map at night and the current speed of travel there... I remember only the same few - day in and day out.

Drystone and Caliya like this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I didn't make one. I pointed out that i noticed you used multiple posts from a couple of people (assumed you did it to make the list look bigger, but you coulda just been quoting posts that were complaining about darkness at first without looking at the name, i dunno.)

Wasn't intending to offend you or call you out in any way.

On the subject, i like the moonlight and lamp post ideas. The developers have said they want to have folks not want to do as much at night (unless you skill up to be more effective at night time with night sight and moon eater etc).

6. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

People seem to be confusing "Realism" with "Immersion".

Immersion is just that you feel like you're part of the scene, but if it's too "realistic" then people won't want to travel at night to unfamiliar places, etc .. and I can understand why some people would want it to be this realistic, and that is their opinions.

I for one, just find it annoying when it's so dark ...

FrostII likes this.
  7. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

We need to be able to do more than walk, with faster means of travel such as magic or teleportation. A game that makes me take time to do that much walking will not hold my interest. I love the Witcher 3, and there are lots of faster modes of travel, but a lot of the walking in the beginning was fine & adventurous. But even that's gotten on my last nerve.

I know it's not going to go away, but personally I feel the overland map should be ditched completely and make real scenes of roads, just like virtually all modern games do. I mean, what better way to have true choke points? I'm not going to click on every village to enter it if I'm on my way somewhere. The overland map sort of defeats the purpose of choke points. Plus it's slow, cumbersome and annoying.

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    "Don't eat the fruit if its not ripe, you know it will be sour in the unripened state" - Some people should not opt in for pre launch testing in my opinion.

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Just today in SotA Updates, it was stated
    This confirmed to me why we are here - to test/find bugs and GIVE FEEDBACK....
    Is this not what these people are doing?
    Or - does their feedback simply not coincide with yours ?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Caliya likes this.
  10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Feedback is nice. Wanting to change the game because its to hard for you is weak. Overstating opinions in hopes to shout another poster down is weak. Trying to bolster your argument with by collecting lists is weak. Simply state your argument, the devs will read it. Toxic quips and backhanded comments only divide us as a community. The saying I stated implies that for some people, development period is hard on some people because its hard to digest. Its not a finished project, and yes feedback is welcome, but you can do that without the ominous overtones.

Lisalibelle likes this.
  11. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

I just started playing and to be honest I had no negative feelings about the darkness at night. It was a pleasant surprise really. I wonder if any of the players who nag about it beeing too dark actually came back home in the middle of the night, walking through some path in woods with no lightsources (and I'm not talking about some small woods in any big city too!). The world map at night compared to this is like taking a walk during a beautiful summer day :)

Lisalibelle and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

They have plans to eventually have horses and boats to travel with, but they also do not want to negate thier control points by making it easy to just teleport all over the place. They also did mention the idea of lunar rifts being unlocked upon capturing a control point.

Im not directing the following at you, but i want to add that when someone says "its pre alpha" or "not finished", they are talking about stuff like the above that has been mentioned by devs but not implimented yet. Any "core" system is gonna suck pretty bad as a skeleton mechanic until all of its features come online.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  13. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

That's all well and good, but don't call it a MAP if you can get lost. A map is for navigation, not wandering around in the dark, unable to see where you're at.

14. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Ridable mounts is a stretch goal. It only becomes reality if enough people invest 10's of 1000's of dollars. I haven't heard about boats. Where do you get this information about horses and boats?

First, you need to define a control point, because people keep telling me about choke or control points and I have no clue what that will be. If I'm walking on the Overland roads (NOT map), in what way am I forced to check in to any control point whatsoever?

I want to know what's wrong with this. I like to teleport. All the games I play let me do this, and I hugely appreciate it. Leave the slow travel for those who prefer it. But don't force everyone to be slow, feeble travelers.

So this could only mean there will be PvP in order to use lunar rifts? If that's true, that's even worse for some people. Better for others. To force people to battle just for the luxury of using a teleport system is, well, unsatisfying design.

I understand that, and have been hearing it, and even saying it for over a year now. But if we don't speak up while it's in this stage, it will be too late.

15. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

Well, you still navigate it. Just poorly so. Try using a real map in total darkness ;)

But honestly, all jokes aside. I know it is really dark at night in the game, but you really can make out where you are more or less. Also is it such a problem to carry a torch or light spell on you?

16. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

If I have a real map, a torch, and a compass, I can find my way. But the overland road system is not a map. The torches don't light my feet nor can I see a path in front of my feet.

Maybe some people want the "realism" of being in the wilderness with no tools at their disposal - a survivalist. That is not what this game was described as though. I sort of like the idea, but it would get really old, really fast.

Again, I said the darkness is not at the heart of the issue (for me). Modes of travel are the sticking point.

17. Lisalibelle

Lisalibelle Avatar

Hi there,

I just started playing Sota 3 days ago. I even heard the first time about it a few weeks ago.
    I ve played many Mmos. But guess what, I started with UO. And since then, I never had a feeling like this again in any other game.
    Although many people say, Sota is not UO, it definately has got many things in common; many things that remind me of those good old days: The bagpack, the avatar-picture, the music, the quests without markers, even the dark night etc etc. And I love it.

For the dark of night, of course it would be possible to add some lightsources to the streets. I would be ok with that. But wilderness should stay dark, basta.
    So please dont make the nights lighter.
    In all those games, stuff gotten easier and easier, because some people were complaining. I really really hope, this game will not go the same way;
    first we light up the night, then we add a teleport system, ah..., people want to have got quest markers? And so on, and so on...
    Soon enough, it would be nearly the same as in every other mmo, that came online after UO.

That are just my two cents about all the complains.

MfG
    Lisa

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

They are both stretch goals, and the stretch goals are things that will make it intot he game eventually. The Monitary contributions twards them pretty much determine how fast they will make it in.

Veritas Pass and Brightbone Pass are the onyl two control/choke poitns in the game right now. The whole control point thing is unfinished and arent being utilized yet. They are palces on the map that you cannot cross unless they have been captured (from elves, undead, etc) and will become passable for a limited time after they are captured.

Because they want to promote regional economies (Prices and items that are readily available change from location to location) which will in turn provide inter-regional trading as a potential source of income for those who want to do so. It encrichen's the game's overall economy

It will likely be PvE, if there are PvP control points, it wont be neccessary for you to participate in them in order to get from one place to another.

I agree, and Im just trying to explain as much of thier reasoning behind thigns as i've heard them discuss so far

Lisalibelle and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  19. Lisalibelle

Lisalibelle Avatar

Exactly.
    For example, there are people who need wood, cotton etc.
    You have got lots of them in your bank space or at home and could sell it.
    Maybe Player A from far far away wants to pay you much more then player B who lives around the next corner. So, do you go the easy way and sell it to player B, or do you take the long travel to get to player A? Maybe you need to travel twice, because you cant carry this much at once?
    Teleport would make this point obsolete.

EMPstrike and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  20. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

In what way would it make it obsolete? Name examples of games that don't have teleportation but have resources.

Even UO, a game that's 20+ years old, had teleportation and resource gathering areas - some in far away places, some closer. It all worked.

It seems small minded to believe we can't have teleportation if we have crafters and resource gatherers. I mean, where have people been spending their time? Surely not in games like UO (old school) or modern games like Witcher 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.