PaxLair Player Town

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Winfield, May 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

We usually have our meetings here in game on Sunday nights 8pm est. Look forward to meeting you in game!

Time Lord and RDouglas like this.
  2. fillyblunts

fillyblunts Avatar

Great, I will try to make it this weekend. I have been watching the game for a while now, and finally had the funds to pledge last weekend. So far I am loving what we have so far, and the community here is a fantastic change of pace from the other games I've played lately (eve, archage).

3. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Look forward to seeing you there!

Time Lord and Themo Lock like this.
  4. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

We are excited about Release 15. There will be plenty to do and discover.

Arena Basements

PaxLair added two arena basements in Valemark. They are at the Upper Meadow where we usually gather. The Village and Town lots both have arena basements now.

See the basements in Lots #28 and #29.

[​IMG]

Valemark Days

To be hosted by PaxLair (and others?).

Many towns have "Days" celebrations for crafters, culture, and more. We will be planning "Valemark Days" in a couple of weeks for all the home owners in Valemark to come out, meet people, sell some wares, participate in a play, etc. AND everyone in the realm is invited to "Valemark Days". Why not call it PaxLair Days? Well, Valemark is a Player Run Town scene and PaxLair is just one village within Valemark.

We will announce this on the Events Calendars, here and in the R15 Events thread when we have a date/time.

5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I have much wooden timbers/boards if they are required for the preperation of valemark days, and also reasonably priced for crafters who desire alot of wood to craft their wares for valemark days ^^

6. Winfield

7. Winfield

There's going to be a fun event in Solania, a new town in Novia.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...competition-saturday-march-7-12-pm-cst.22333/

The Shape of Things to Come Competition - Saturday March 7, 12 PM CST

Let's gather up the crowd. It will be right after the Chaos Sermon on Saturday.

8. Winfield

I am finally getting back to Novia ... I've been out fishing most of the past week. I docked my small boat at Kingsport and sold my fish to the fishmonger. So I am ready to get back to "work" here on dry land. Here are some things this past week that I discovered, did, or am planning:

• PaxLair Working Hours (on the Calendar) - We have two Working Hours now - Wednesdays at 2 PM Central US Time and Saturdays at 9 AM US Central Time. I thank Sean Silverfoot for running the Wednesday one and special thanks for Themo Lock for running the Saturday one yesterday while I was away. These Working Hours sessions are good to have so people know when they can find other people interested in PaxLair in the same place and the same time.

• Welcome Quest R15.2 - I thank NANOC for running the PaxLair portion of the Welcome Quest yesterday (Saturday). He reported to me there were two teams assigned to demonstrate how a PaxLair militia would form and defend PaxLair. He said Kazyn Phoenixfyre led a team that stood and marched in precise formation and displayed their weapons. Net led the other team that immediately lay down in the meadow playing dead. Both demonstrations will need to go into our Militia Tactics books for our future Training Center. Thanks everyone!

• Panel Discussion with Richard Garriott and Tracy Hickman (Starr Long as moderator) at SXSW in Austin on Saturday - I sat in the audience and learned more about Linear and Non-Linear Narrative for story-making and story-telling. These are Narrative Constructs being used in SotA. The non-linear approach can use places and towns in the game to provide portions of the storyline; people visit places and the story is revealed a bit based on the player's choices. Tracy calls this open or closed matrix of storytelling -- but the closed matrix type is easier to manage as it offers the person 2 or 3 choices to follow the continuation of a story rather than the open matrix type that can have 5 or 8 or more choices at every story node. Overall, this has helped me think upon how the PaxLair back-story will be written and the future PaxLair story in game will be interactively created by lots of people.

• Fishing with Winfield event (on the Calendar) - Thanks to everyone who go to the Fishing with Winfield event, even if I am not there. The event does not really need me there... it's just an open time for people to get a bit wild and crazy on the docks or at bandit lake or some other watery hangout spot. Thanks Avatars Radio for announcing and broadcasting the event, and playing great "fishing" music! Oh, Fishing with Winfield is now held every Sunday after the PaxLair meeting. And we will be forming the secret Novian Fishing League (NFL) ... shhh it's a secret society; everyone can be in the NFL, but keep it secret. We will be working on the string of emotes needed by members of the society, so when passing another person you can do the emotes and see how they respond -- thus knowing both of you are in the secret NFL.

• Android and iOS Applications for SotA Community, by Matterio - Wow, just wow! See the Developer Depot for both Apps. These are great and you can see News, IRC, Calendar, Avatars Radio, and eventually the Wiki and Maps all from your mobile device! Now that is technology! Never miss an event, keep up on the chat, and listen to Avatars Radio all the time! Thanks Matterio!

• Valemark Days - Thanks everyone for keeping the plans for Valemark Days running. It is held next Saturday and will be a lot of fun. It will be pretty impromptu and a time to hang out and see what happens too.
    Well, I still have a lot of catching up to do. I see Release 16 coming up soon which will probably not have a wipe. But it sounds like R17 will be a complete wipe. Even though there are wipes, our communities of people are never wiped. In fact, in my opinion, our communities get even stronger as we must re-build our towns and shops -- we rely on each other more and more -- we are realizing one person cannot do it all. It's also fun to jump in the realm at nearly the same time of all our friends during the release weekend and meet each other once again. The "friends list" seems to light up like a roman candle during release weekend.

See everyone tonight at the PaxLair meeting and Fishing with Winfield!

Dragonspeed!

9. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

Can't wait to see PaxLair on Overland-Map:)

[​IMG]

10. Winfield

Here are an old map and and a more recent video tour of PaxLair in Old Britannia. PaxLair in New Britannia is based on our old ideas coupled with new ideas. To know where we are going ... we need to know where we've been (and we are still in Old Britannia too).

[​IMG]
    PaxLair in 2007 ... it is still there today!​
    You can see the Twin Towers (mage and necromancer towers)​
    that will hopefully become ruins in New Britannia's PaxLair in Novia.​

And here is a short video tour of PaxLair in Old Britannia:

11. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

It's really great to see this sort of connection between new and old and I for one can't wait to see how PaxLair develops and its story continues for years to come ;)

12. Winfield

water.org

Many people participated in the water.org charity in Shroud of the Avatar. See https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=51000 -- over $8000 raised through RizeUp Gaming and SotA!

I for one am glad to have contributed to such a worthy cause. It was great fun being with the AetherVision team during the charity drive and getting to know more people in New Britannia along the way!

Now, we have this new video from water.org ... and I can imagine how my few dollars helped Manapakkam, India and future locations to have clean water, which is essential for all life.
    "A Postcard from Manapakkam, India -- Water has arrived in Manapakkam, India! A new tap for Ammu means no time wasted waiting in line for water from the communal source, Venilla gets water at home, and Karpagam can't stop smiling." source: water.org, June 10, 2015
    [​IMG]

Welcome Quest - May 30, 2015 - at the PaxLair Waterfall
    Everyone wearing the Blue Water.Org cloak and holding the Blue Welcome Quest Torch!

[​IMG]

Numa, Time Lord, Gaelis and 12 others like this.
  13. Serillian

Serillian Avatar

@Winfield are there any Village or Town lots available in PaxLair? I've recently saved up enough for one of these types of lots and would be interested in settling in a player run town (at least for R19).

Time Lord and Gaelis like this.
  14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

There should be yes, try sending a mail to NANOC or Winfield.

15. icekiss

icekiss Avatar

Is there a map of the intended city layout of paxLair available? It is intended to be a trade hub, right?
    I am still looking around for a place to set up hime and shop post wipe, so I have an professional interest. :)

Right now in game there are only a few single houses standing around. If it just ends up with lots strewn all over the map, I am not interested...
    I really like how much paxLair tries to form a community, but I want to see a town layout first. :rolleyes:

Mata and Time Lord like this.
  16. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

They are keeping their current map here

As they are following an organic growth pattern, the city (of 8 Burroughs) will grow steadily over time. As in, it will not suddenly appear all at once in August.

sotawiki.net/paxlair speaks of its city planning.

Mata and Time Lord like this.
  17. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

The kiss of peace

Time Lord likes this.
  18. jerger

jerger Avatar

I was(am) Prince Gwydion Roe of ATD (Army of the dragon). Is there a dragons watch?

Sean Silverfoot and Winfield like this.
  19. Winfield

There is a Dragons Watch indeed! It is an underground scene connecting all our PaxLair clustered POTs together. Careful.. it is open combat (PVP). Get to it via any manhole near the bridge in our scenes. Talk to @Sean Silverfoot about it too!

jerger, Miracle Dragon, Numa and 2 others like this.
  20. jerger

jerger Avatar

Wow so awesome... I'm waiting for the gsme to come out since i do t have alot of time please keep me in the loop

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.