Functional card game table at inns

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Soulicide, Jul 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

This would be cool somewhere down the road. You walk into the tavern, toward the back corner there's a table with 5 or 6 Avatars sitting, drinking their mead, playing some sort of game with cards or dice or even dominoes. All rustic looking. A variety of games and animations could be programed in. It would be an awesome social feature for those not interested in gustball . Mini-games technically. I imagine the table would work sort of like activating a crafting station and maybe there's a guy who is always there...an NPC that deals. You talk to him as you would any other NPC and tell him what game you want to play with how many players and he sets up accordingly. I think it would be awesome.

Sentinel2, Benn289, Spoon and 7 others like this.
  2. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

I would like to see those mini-games too. ( like dice in Witcher or pakaaz from star wars ) :)

3. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

minigames like these have been talked about. I believe they even had a request out to the community to program some for possible porting into the game. I'm not sure what became of that avenue, but I'm fairly certain they don't have the time or manpower to develop it on their own for Episode 1.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  4. Net

Net Avatar

I would love if we got just the cards and dice and perhaps chess. there is no need to implement rules of the games themselves and there are dozens games we can play with cards and dice. Just give as ability to shuffle the deck, draw a card, show a card, put it on table... Yeah it requires some work... but it can create robust sandbox for minigames.

5. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Good ideas. I agree that the props, not rules, are all that is required.

6. aevans

aevans Avatar

Miniature versions of the chess board and chess pieces should be feasible. Not sure if each one counts towards the limits on placeable items or not.

Could have a storage chest (or similar) attached to the interactive table (or playing surface). Once you open the game board/table you can move pieces between the chest (visible when the table is active) and the table/board/sandbox.

I think one issue is how do you get multiple people (up to some limit) to be able to interact with the same game board/table.

Of course you could work with what is already in the game. Just get 52 books and publish (as text in the book) what card the book represents (Ace of Moon Towers, King of Hamlets, or whatevers). The titles of the set of books would all be the same so you can sort them back into the original starting deck. Drop them all into a chest and randomly pick one up (without being able to read the contents first). Another chest for the discard pile.

Umber Gray Ceramic Pavers might allow for a square-grid board. Use decorative cups or other non-light source objects of small sizes for various playing pieces for other types of games.

Maybe not directly related, but I found this for creating cards for play-testing. I suspect someone could clean up the outputs and efficiently import them into unity as assets. Use your Coat Of Arms for the graphics on the card so you don't need to implement a whole new set of custom images. Book style text on the other side if there were a way to flip them over.

http://andymeneely.github.io/squib/

7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I really like the idea of cards in game. If I might, and not trying to derail, suggest that dice games might go in also. Craps is a fun game and is also a passtime/gambling entertainment. :)

8. aevans

aevans Avatar

Create an oversized dice object (a la chess pieces), e.g. an oversized block of white marble. Place it somewhere on or in your property, with some nice pavers and walls to make a game board or box to keep it contained. Any time you cast certain chaos magic spells at it, the faces would change (giving you a different number at the top, but really just rotating the in-game object without moving its position.

I suppose gust could also be used to 'roll' the die, since gust is probably a lot easier to get than something deeper in the chaos tree. (Gustball with dice, you score points equal to the value shown at the top of the die when it is in the goal area.)

9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    haha I like it, but don't be flagged for pvp hehe! Or you could cast earthquake also, and maybe that would flop the dice around?

Soulicide likes this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Pirates of the Caribbean Online had the best Poker and Black Jack done right. I wonder if @DarkStarr can "lift" some code from his Disney days and just insert it. I loved playing it and miss it.

11. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Without a question dice as well. And yes, like Net said. It doesn't have to get crazy involved with the programing. We just need to be able to shuffle, deal, show, discard, etc. Dice..even simpler. Grab 'em and roll 'em. Specific classics like backgammon, chess and checkers would also be neat eventually but I realize that's more involved graphically.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

(Don't forget billiards)

(or Poland)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  13. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

Dominoes!

14. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Crafted from the bones of our enemies. ^_^

Miracle Dragon and margaritte like this.
  15. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I did love being able to play darts in U7! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.