1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Q3 2015 Schedule Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -sCo-

-sCo- Avatar

This is the offical group and I am already a member :) But He talked about a SotA group with 15333 members on Steam. I don't find the group.
    ----
    Das ist die offizielle Gruppe(vielleicht auch nicht offiziell) in der ich bereits Mitglied bin. Er erwaehnte aber eine Gruppe auf Steam mit 15333 Mitgliedern und diese Gruppe finde ich nicht. Aber vielleicht habe da auch was falsch verstanden. Lese hier zur Zeit ehe nur zwischen Tuer und Angel... :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    Mata likes this.
  2. Mata

Mata Avatar

Dann meint er evtl. diese hier.
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/326160

-sCo- and Ice Queen like this.
  3. -sCo-

-sCo- Avatar

Yes, thanks for clarification :)

4. Mata

Mata Avatar

You're welcome! ;)

Ice Queen and -sCo- like this.
  5. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Worked out the number difference.

If you go to the big group it says 15k members 991 in game.

However when you click the 15k members link it then shows the people in game. It is actually that they are just accessing a game through steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/326160

So atm says 991 people in game, but they all arent accessing SOTA.

So http://steamcharts.com/app/326160 is accurate.

Just clearing it up

Miracle Dragon and Spoon like this.
  6. mordenkeon

mordenkeon Avatar

not sure i can wait that long...so excited for the updates..LOL

7. ottomaddux

ottomaddux Avatar

This is difficult for people to grasp because you are asking that they retool the game to accommodate you. To most people that sounds silly. I have to say I was against your Idea, but I would be ok with it if you did make it meaningful. If a pvp group captures a control point they can flip it to pvp with one caveat, they face character death. This would be meaningful because they have to really want to take the point and it would be increasingly difficult to hold it because the groups average level would constantly decrease.

8. Curt

Curt Avatar

Would like if a info % of novia reachable could be added to reach R's info

9. Otha Livinded

Otha Livinded Avatar

From talking to numerous people in game, it seems to me that numbers are declining, and that the problem isn't about how PVP will happen, but rather to do with the clumsy and game immersion destroying combat system itself. I know I find myself having to force myself to engage in combat- because the whole premise of the system is no fun at all- because it ruins the notion that I'm fighting monsters by breaking the feeling I have an avatar with the silly card system.

Frankly, I've pledged over 600$ to Shroud of the Avatar because of the way RG's past games have understood the need for a sense of immersion and the feeling that our avatars are living and breathing entities. Everything about the current combat system works directly opposed to this. The other systems- housing, crafting, don't do this.

Why in the world would I take my avatar out in the woods into a cemetery to battle skeletons, and instead, switch over to some abstracted card game?

This, in my opinion, dooms the game's potential for growth. I am not interested. A score of people I have casually, neutrally polled all mention the combat system as the one thing that causes them to not play very much.

I generally don't post in these update sorts of areas, but really, time grows short, and the hard decision needs to be made to stop throwing good money after the bad, and realize that "new and original concepts" akin to square wheels on automobiles, and not necessarily a good thing, if they do not work.

RancidRat, Xail and Ice Queen like this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Population is declining could be because the game has become a different beast then it was originally intended to be.

This isn't a strong story driven game anymore. This is a MMO now...how this will be ready in 6 months I have no idea.

We still have the same arguements(by the same people) about how important pvp should be to everyone and how it should have the power to sway the world.

I personally don't like the direction the game has taken, I'm not happy with how if people are loud enough on the forums they can change the direction of the team.

At this point as a fan of the original Ultima's I think it is fair to say this game will be nothing like those in any sense. If you are a fan of UO though, I think it is safe to say that it has a lot of similarities. The majority of items comming in the updates are MMO/multiplayer related. I no longer even keep track on the forums much anymore as I have lost interest in what this is becoming.

AndiZ275 and Ice Queen like this.
  11. Ulf Berht

Ulf Berht Avatar

I find the card system fun and have just voted by upping my pledge. I am sorry some do not like it, understand why but do not agree.

12. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I enjoy the card system as well. :)

With that said, changes are ongoing. The system is by no means complete and with each release the system is refined.

Gaelis and steanne like this.
  13. Elhaym

Elhaym Avatar

I think it just feels that way because of where we are in the dev cycle. You aren't going to see story elements because the mechanisms to drive the story haven't been built yet. Once they build and flesh out the combat, crafting, and NPC systems they'll be able to churn out story content. It's especially easy for DnD style RPG to add story content because they don't need to animate huge CG cutscenes, record alot of dialog, and create unique scenes for every new story they want to tell.

Portalarium probably don't want to spoil too much story. Star Citizen is going through pretty much the same thing right now.

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well perhaps when they start working on the single player it will be a lot more fun for you. So perhaps in another 6 to 8 months or more even. We never know though.:)

15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I fear that if those people who are here for the single player part lose interest and leave and don't post their opinions of the game here on the forums anymore then there is no one left to push the single player part forward. Then SotA truly may become a MMORPG with some story tacked on. But then after release this will create a controversy as those players who are in it for the SP-part will feel cheated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
    Katrina Bekers likes this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Or when the single player gets some attention then it will be talked about more. I mean it could have been reversed and they were working on the single player only for now and telling the mmo ers to just wait. I'm sure it is frustrating if that is what you want though. Im playing Baldurs Gate 2 here and there and almost done with it. I have really enjoyed it. I am more of a MMO person though but I understand it is hard to wait. When the single player comes out though as with other single player games the players who like those types of games will be looking at the SOTA single player game I bet. I always feel like once you play a single player game at end game it is over for me and I move on to the next one. Sometimes years later I have gone back to play again when I might have forgotten some of the story and all. Anyway what do I know. I'm probably no help.:cool:

Elhaym likes this.
  17. Kurupt

Kurupt Avatar

After reading this thread, it seems that a lot of these "anti pvp" players do not want to play a sandbox.

They want a game that's catered to their casual play styles. It seems that some people would be genuinely upset that if a person took a higher risk (e.g. pvping to get that rare resource node) they would get a greater reward.

That's not how a sandbox works. You don't deserve any special hand holding because you refuse to take part of the bigger picture. A picture that shows a breathing living fantasy world. The only way you can have this living world is through the different politics and outcomes caused by player freedom.

I'm hating the mindset that this game should be a PVE theme parked utopia.
    There are plenty of games on the market today that would allow you to do just that.

However there is no game anymore that feels like an actual living world with conflicts and resolutions inspired by the players themselves. (Except Eve lol)

I really feel like if anyone has the ability to bring the two different crowds together, it would be Richard.. This game deserves both of the play styles, and I'm hoping it will become successful.

Sorry for the rant. I love pve and I love pvp. I'm the first one that would help a player take down a boss or help a player that's being attacked for no reason. I just want to see a living fantasy world.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Sheenz, RancidRat and Xail like this.
  18. Xail

Xail Avatar

No one should ever have a disadvantage in resources simply based on their particular style of play. Those resources should be available to people who refuse/hate PvE as well, without being charged an arm and leg at the auctioneers. It is a terrible attempt to coerce others into something they don't want. I would rather have a PvP server to play on. My reasoning for this is quite personal mind you. I have many friends looking for a game with PvP action and nice impredictable wars. The vast majority of them will never PvE nor do they wish to. They won't come here if they feel they will be forced/coerced into PvE. Keep in mind, many of them are elders that wish to enjoy a game and not deal with fake life simulation which crafting and events seems to create for many of us older or more casual players that already, thank god, have a real life.

19. Kurupt

Kurupt Avatar

But, why shouldn't they be at a disadvantage?

If I step into a zone where I know I have the chance of being killed and stripped from any equipment or resources I have mined, I should have an advantage to gaining that resource.

I should be able to take a risk and obtain something in return that is more valuable than someone who sits in town all day. If they want something equivalent, then give pvers a 5-15 man raid or something that drops a rare resource or opens a chance to mine.

Those who don't want to pvp, they have the options to set up shops or become high level crafters that will utilize those rare resources. Or they can play as a bard all day in a tavern that gives people buffs or something for pvp/pve battles.

There is a way to please both sides. It just seems that some don't want anything to do with pvp.

Jivalax Azon, Atogrim and Xail like this.
  20. Xail

Xail Avatar

People that don't want players getting rewards through PvP (taking more risks) is like people in real life telling that entrepreneurs should not be allowed to make money because they want to be just a safe employ with no risks and don't want to be at disadvantage or be forced to put themselves in stressful situations to get more from business...

Do all of you realize of what kind of persons we are talking about right?...these are the people that we let talk and talk and give suggestions to SotA management...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Moonshadow and Kurupt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.