What craft skills do you want to see?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Jack Knyfe, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Tinkering would have to be my profession, but beekeeping and brewing would be a hobby. A fine mead after a long day of creating explosives... I mean clocks. =)

rild likes this.
  2. Fredmir

Fredmir Avatar

defnetly Alchemy ? Mix potions....

3. gingerale

gingerale Avatar

A lot of these here could be easily listed under a single craft. Like Alchemy and Distillation. Why couldn't Alchemists make ale as well? And Farming and Beekeeping. I'd imagine bees could easily help plants grow. And a whole lot can fit under Tinkering.

rild likes this.
  4. macharborguy

macharborguy Avatar

I personally like the idea of "Professions" and "Hobbies". Professions are solo ventures. You are a Blacksmith, not a warrior or mage. Hobbies are for everyone else. Hobbies could also both be a limited alternative to Professions, so a warrior could repair his armor in the field to some extent, but he would need a Smith to do the real proper work. Hobbies could, however, supplement Professions, so a warrior could mine up ore that he could then sell to a Blacksmith to make real use of it.

Real world example: I do hobby electronic work and programming with the Arduino microcontroller. But I am NOT about to go messing around with the main line voltage in the powerlines of my house. I am not a professional electrician and would probably kill myself if i tried, but I am having a ton of fun making a motion activated LED lighting rig for the light-less stairway in my home.

5. PABS

PABS Avatar

I want to make a pitch-black sabertooth type of creature. I heard that there will be Animal Husbandry. So I hope my masterpiece won't be just a dream.

P.S. : In case it happens.. If you see a man proudly walking with a big cat(bigger than himself probably), just say "hi" :)

6. LordSlack

LordSlack Avatar

Poisoning! Not sure if this falls into crafting, but being an alchemist/poisoner was always a great time and I love the idea of using your craft to apply several types of poisons to weapons to supplement your combat style.

7. macharborguy

macharborguy Avatar

@LordSlack: Why not Apothecary as a Profession, which would include poisons, medicines and could supplement other professions.

Farmers may need pesticides. Rogues would need poisons. Everyone needs bandages and anti-venoms.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

@macharborguy,

Well, in UO, Poisoning isn't about making poisons, its about applying poison to equipment, while alchemists would create the poison. So they're designed for two separate classes, arcane users and rogues.

Apothecary would be a good job title, the job, in terms of actual skills, would probably involve a combination of Herbalism and Alchemy. Herbalism would be picking, preparing, and applying of herbs, for the creation of salves and things like that - it would basically be a healing profession - while alchemy would be the use of laboratory equipment to chemically transform materials, whether it be herbs or minerals. An apothecary would probably need some Scribe skills too.

I don't know if the devs want to break it down that much though.

9. LordSlack

LordSlack Avatar

@macharborguy @redfish, I like the apothecary angle. Poisoning as a skill to Apply poison in UO was needed for balancing there, but might be a little overkill as its own profession here IMO. I always thought "man how hard is it to just wipe some poison on a blade?" I would love to see the return of poison making, multiple types of poison, then perhaps limit the application of certain powerful poisons to someone skilled in one of the rogue like skills. Much like real life, anybody would be comfortable working something low level like rat poison, but I wouldn't trust myself with a bottle of cyanide unless I knew what I was doing.

10. Shadowhawk

Shadowhawk Avatar

Cartography, Necromancy, Tinkering, Animal/Beast taming, and most definitely Fletching.

11. Goose

Goose Avatar

Skinning, lumberjacking, fishing, herb gathering. None of these are rocket science. Everyone should be able to do this without requiring expertise.

Mining, Cooking, Brewing, Everyone should be able to do this without a dedicated skill. However there should be advanced levels available. I can and have panned for gold, brewed beer, and cooked feasts o plenty. But I don't dedicate my life to any of these pursuits.

Then there's all the others that should require dedication and various levels of expertise.

I don't think anyone should have to sacrifice a profession in crafting to be able to cut down trees or skin a deer.

majoria70 likes this.
  12. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

I would love to see the world change due to what people do IE if too many people were out lumberjacking then the world tree population would dwindle thus causing a new skill to come in to play IE Forest husbandry - the act of planting trees and germinating seeds and cross polination to gain different types of trees

Bugos likes this.
  13. Roxnee

Roxnee Avatar

Animal taming and/or husbandry -
    to go with Farming the player will go out and tame or purchase from NPCs or other Players animals they wish to raise for different purposes.
    Meat - Poor, Good, Average, Expert quality
    Milk - drink , cheese making, other
    Hides - Color, thickness
    Riding - Mounts with different difficulties like easy to ride advanced skill to ride.
    Packing - small, medium, large Packies
    Driving - small, medium , Large
    Tracking - Companion pets like Bird Dogs, Pigs that find truffles, Etc.

I the farmer chooses the animals and try to improve on these traits.
    Just some quick thoughts on Animal husbandry

14. Drealm2459

Drealm2459 Avatar

In every game I have ever played there has been NPC weapon and armor merchants. They always wind up totally useless NPC's due to the fact that in every game. Drop weapons and armor and crafted weapons and armor are ALWAYS better even at starter player lev's. I would love to see the ability for armor smiths and weapon smiths be able to take armor/weapons from these NPCs and upgrade them. By this I mean based on skill the ability to take a armor/weapon and make it better. this ability would usable on drops/crafted items also. The other thing Id love to see is if you can make something you can UN-make it. So I really hoping to see a salvaging skill. The ability to take useless items made of wood, metal, stone ect. and get some raw mats from them. There should be a % loss of mats based on your skill lev. but I really think in primitive place people would use and re-use everything as often as they could, as getting new mats would be hard at best. higher lev salvager would be able to salvage magic items maybe getting a mat that could add a magic effect to a new item. In game Examp: You go into a town your shield had a large crack running 50% to the center. the smith takes one look and says. " iv'e been crafting shields for 20 years.. I have a great deal of skill that shield is ruined." I will give you 5 gold for it to put forward for the new shields I have here." you do the deal and are happy. but this smith would take this ruined Item melt it down and reuse as much of it as he could.. He isn't going give you 5 gold and then walk out the trash dump. This is what every game I have played says happens tho. From a player point of view savaging would save some On grinding. If you have made 50 short swords to raise your blacksmithing skill why not savage them to make something else? Why should you have to go out and mine all new ore and make all new ingots. You should be able to use some % new and a % old mats. to craft new items.

15. Toxic_Knight

Toxic_Knight Avatar

I would absolutly adore smithing weapons and armor if they did it like monster hunter. Basically having some awesome weapons/armor that you can only get by crafting them with the right materials. Or in this games online, buy them from someone else. No doubt there are flaws to it but hey, WoWs smithing tome felt useless since you can get better stuff from questing and duneons anyway. And a smithing armor/weapons system that has more usefulness would always be appreciated. :)

16. Vertual

Vertual Avatar

Linguistics. If you are going to interact with a Dragon, why not be able to speak it's language, or at least it's dialect?

17. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

In UO you craft craft vanity items and knick-knacks. I think the first crafting skills they should implement should be the ones that would have the most direct impact on gameplay. So the tier one skills I absolutely expect to see would be:

<b>Crafting</b>
    Alchemy ? Mix potions (including poisons)
    Blacksmithy ? Craft metal into objects
    Bowcraft/Fletching ? Makes bows out of woods
    Cooking ? Baking, roasting and brewing
    Eldrich Arts - Some sort of magical crafting that could perhaps cover inscription, rune crafting, etc.
    Tailoring ? Make items out of leather / animal hides

<b>Resource Gathering</b>
    Farming - Allows for cultivation/harvesting of crops
    Fishing ? Catch fish
    Herbalism - Gathering of plants
    Lumberjacking ? Chop trees
    Mining ? Mine and smelt
    Hunting ? Allows you to get hides and meat from animals

Once those are all implemented, then the focus would be on others like Masonry, etc.

18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

@morgy321 - I think SWTOR handles this well. Your skill points are only for your combat/healing/tanking skill trees. Crafting is handled separately, so you don't have to sacrifice combat ability to craft. Crafting skills are increased through practice, not skill points. I hope SotA has a similar approach.

19. Gau2

Gau2 Avatar

I have sheared thousands of sheep in UO, so I really hope I can continue that mental illness in SotA.... But I don't think it needs to be a skill unto itself....

Reigner likes this.
  20. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I want to be a pheasant plucker. I'll pluck mother pheasants. I'll be the most pleasant mother pheasant plucker to ever pluck a mother pheasant.

:D
    I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.