Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Concern About Character Name Availability

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Nuku, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuku

Nuku Avatar

That is what I am hoping this thread will achieve. A clearer picture of how names possession will happen. Will they expire if you don't log on for X number of days? Will they be locked to your account forever for everyone or only a certain ranks of backers?

But my biggest question: Will there be a final name wipe since they never stated that names chosen now will be locked to our account?

Aldo likes this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

3. Nuku

Nuku Avatar

I was unable to watch the hangout to hear exactly what was said, but did recently get a reply via email from Portalarium support about my name concerns saying that "Names will be wiped prior to launch". This being said, the log in order to claim land will also mean name claim order. (That thread probably should be edited to clarify the names will be wiped from our accounts.)

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yess sorry Nuku, not good news on the hangout today regarding names. Names will be wipred. And also to think about it at launch players will come into the game to place houses in a certain order, I'm assuming their names will also get put in at that time. So if there are none named Nuku you will be alright but otherwise not. So the last name is going to be the trick then for you. At least you can have your first name if you can get the last name to be unique from any already taken. I don't usually do a last name myself, I don't like to, but I will in this case to be unique. ;) No way are they going to stop first names from being repeated if the last name is different then the whole name should be considered unique. My thioughts on this. Like John Sebastian or John Cudgefellow or John John for example, all would and should be able to be a different player with the same first name. **warning: names are only examples and have no other meaning to them**.

5. Nuku

Nuku Avatar

Actually, the hangout had great news! I am extremely happy hearing there will be a full wipe. Right now my name is Nuku on the forums and in IRC. However, by the time I discovered lasts names were optional for characters somone had already used the name Nuku.

Per BurningToad, names are currently linked to accounts between releases and not reset, even through wipes. My concern this whole time was if I already missed all chances of getting that name since it's currently used.

Sophi and majoria70 like this.
  6. Kenryuu

Kenryuu Avatar

I think that Port should offer a name-locking service (for fees? tiered?), or at least one that is complimentary for higher-profile contributors of the community (How this is to be determined is probably open for debate)

Not every great contributor to the game is a top-dollar backer. It would be a shame if someone took it upon themselves to troll a respected contributor by locking out their established in-game name at launch time.

Musaab Osman and Kara Brae like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi Kenryuu. They said no to that in the Dev hangout today so just an FYI if you haven't had a chance to watch the Dev Hangout yet.:)

8. Kenryuu

Kenryuu Avatar

Aye I was there when they said that. Just voicing my thoughts. I'm not personally affected by their decision, but thought that this is a valid point of view to consider. There are Bad People (tm) out there ;)

9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Many RF and F have multiple accounts and will be able to choose multiple names before the masses do. I am hoping there won't be any backers who take other people's avatar names on purpose with the sole intention of making money by selling them back.

10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Do not assume that the first name can be used if the last name is different. We do not know what mechanism to differentiate name will be. For example, some control schemes search the whole name for matches even within the name. Thus an accepted first name of "Tom" may keep such names as "Atom" or "Tomas" from being accepted. Hopefully the scheme will be announced beforehand so that we can plan around it.

11. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I would hope behavior like that would trigger [ban]hammer[/ban]

12. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Way back in the day, when I was trying to make YouTube videos, @Chris told me concatenation of first and last names would have to be unique.
    So, I think the first person claiming Tom could be just first name only. Atom and Tomas would also be available. The second Tom would have to choose a last name.

The question now, since they've added possible second and third characters on an account that have to share a last name, would Tom (first name only) lock out other folks from using first name only.

I'm anxious to see how that plays out.

Katrina Bekers and Kara Brae like this.
  13. Rebelweasel

Rebelweasel Avatar

I would like to see the availability to report people who do such things. I'm afraid they might not take action because trying to prove that someone took your name as a malicious act is hard to do. I feel that Portalarium really doesn't understand how cruel and petty the gaming world can be, and how so much grief can be prevented with proper steps or preparation.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  14. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Why I'm entirely sure we will have a very bad time with character names cybersquatting?

15. Selene

Selene Avatar

I think wiping names would also wipe friends lists and guilds, since it is those placeholders we see until a player logs in for the first time after a wipe. Might explain why names have not been wiped thus far.

16. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

I was happy to hear in the dev hangout that just prior to launch of E1 all info will be wiped INCLUDING social. Which means friends lists get wiped, I would imagine the 'name reserved to account' thing has to do with maintaining the friends list through all the releases/wipes. So when the game goes live you will have an opportunity to get the name you want.

However as was mentioned above I think, if you have a lot deed as a pledge reward those accts might get early access to place their lots.
    In that case it seems those acct holders placing would get a headstart on name choice as well. So your preferred name could be taken...

But Aldo, I think we can be confident that SotA will be sophisticated enough a system to differentiate between someone using Tom for a first name only and occurrences of the letter sequence 'tom' in other combinations.

17. Buggy

Buggy Avatar

I am more wondering if our account names on here will be linked to our names in game. I think it would be smart and promote a sense of responsibility. I know a lot of people don't share that opinion though.

18. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I just hope I'm not going to have a problem renaming my forum handle to match my in game name after launch.

19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Quoting myself from upstream here. It seems that last names are earned in the game unless gained through pledge perks.
    We also know that if you have multiple avatars on one account through pledges those avatars will share a last name.

So I'm not sure if everyone will get a last name from the beginning. The info seems a bit contradictory.

20. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

It is contradictory. They have not revisited this since adding multiple characters per account.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.