Game is missing major features - working on add ons instead? What is going on?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smitty, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitty

Smitty Legend of the Hearth

Hello all,

It's been awhile since I played a release seriously (maybe R9 or so), but I'm noticing a disturbing trend in this game's development of spending time creating money churning add ons (like the new boat monstrosity) vs. creating features that will make an immersive game (like UO).

The major feature I've seen brushed to the side ( and please forgive me if this was formally addressed ) is the ability to drop items in the world. Does anyone know the status of this?

There are some other questions I have (like when actual consequences will be put into dying, where is fishing) but I'm sure there are on the forum somewhere so I'll search.

Thanks all

2. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

It's funny because that is a question I would ask every couple months and was told constantly that it was still planned to be put into the game as I personally think that is one of the great things about UO that set it apart from all other games. Recently, only in passing it was mentioned in a hangout that that feature is not being considered anymore. Sad times.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Logain, Abydos and raxxus like this.
  3. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

So you don't know how the game developed in the last year and complain about a few items in the add-on store that you will find also ingame as game element?

4. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Welcome back, Smitty.

Just to give you a heads-up about how this thread is going to play out:

People are going to tell you to stop comparing this game to UO, that this game is not meant to be a direct descendant of UO, and that each individual's expectations for this game are not always in alignment with what the developers are going to implement.

The ability to drop items in the world is not a major feature. It's a feature that exists in UO, and with the introduction of public cache chests (purchaseable both on the Add-On store and in game for gold), there is no longer a need for it.

Fishing is an entirely unique feature that doesn't share framework with any other system in the game. It has been on the docket for several releases, but has been pushed as more important things (fixing combat systems, implementing use-based skill systems) took precedence. Trust me, we're all waiting for fishing as well. We've had a weekly in-game fishing event for several months now, if that's any indicator.

As far as consequences upon death, I'll just say that if you have access to the Dev+ forums, there are a couple of recent posts by Chris that might interest you.

5. Smitty

Are you serious?!?@? Do you happen to remember what hangout it was? This is one of, if not the most important feature...

Has this game turned into just an add on store cash grab?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Please someone swoop in and say it ain't so..

Jackrabbit likes this.
  6. Smitty

"The ability to drop items in the world is not a major feature. "

Ahhh! Have I stepped in bizarro world? has anyone pldyed the other MMOs without item drop? Worlds are cold and static, not the vibrant dynamic world UO was.

"introduction of public cache chests (purchaseable both on the Add-On store and in game for gold), there is no longer a need for it."

Are you serious?

7. Smitty

Tarsilion and Jackrabbit like this.
  8. raxxus

raxxus Legend of the Hearth

The ability to drop items IS a major feature, and here is why summed up in one word:

Immersion

It was one of the features RG talked about, how he really wanted it to be in game. To speak otherwise and dismiss this as not is plain absurd.

This game is taking a terrible turn of events IMO. Adding floating ships to housing while 'axing' game mechanics that would create a more immersible experience is downright bad news.

Jack Knfye - no offense, but you are 100% incorrect. Stop drinking the kool-aid, this is a MAJOR feature.

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I disagree. I think that it is an important feature. An important feature for an Ultima-like game as well as for the interactivity and immersion.
    I remember in Ultima 7 that there were things hidden underneath other objects. I think that it would be fantastic to get such a feature again. Other games like Skyrim also use such a system. I remember dropping a sword on the ground and some enemy taking it and running after me with my own sword. Also I remember being able to move nearly every object around in the old Ultimas. Such elements add so much to the feeling of being in a living world. I really hope that they are still planning to include this into SotA as without it, a huge aspect of being a spiritual successor to Ultima would be lost.

Perlateo, Tarsilion, Kaisa and 16 others like this.
  10. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

ummmm . . . . all indications would be . . . . yes. Some initially discussed features have been pushed so far back as to be pushed out of existence, (quality combat system, pvp interests etc) but the cash shop is alive and well, thanks for your support.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Tarsilion, raxxus and Smitty like this.
  11. Smitty

This is what sets the Ultima series apart; items, interaction and immersion. I'm choosing not to believe this got axed until I find the official word. This can't be.

Anyone know of the hangout this was mentioned in? My $ support of this game (already bought some houses) is 100% on hold until I hear the answer to this.

Jackrabbit likes this.
  12. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

Being a spiritual successor to Ultima was also one of the things I believe was pushed out of existence, but i'm sure they will offer a tribute to Ultima plaque in the cash shop that you can hang in your house to replace that feeling.

Tarsilion, rune_74 and Aldo like this.
  13. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I did not think they were ever really considering dropping items. They have already stated a lot of the problems related to performace and such. I know they said they would look into it as LB seemed to really want it, but I don't remember dropping items on the ground as being an actually committed feature at least for EP1.

Also I have played plenty of MMOs with this restriction; although it has been a while since I played a traditional MMO. Many newer type multiplayer games don't even allow you to trade with other players at all (Hearthstone, Destiny, etc). I played a lot of MMOs that ley you drop something, but only you could pick it up again.

I am not saying I wouldn't like the feature, but I can understand the performance problems. Look at housing as there is a measurable difference between heavily populated/decorated areas and others. Now imagine people dropping things randomly. Ick. Think I would rather have it added in EP2 or later to make sure things are properly optimized first.

14. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

For those of you who are now jumping down my throat because how dare I step on your most beloved feature, I apologize.

It looks like I casually threw away something that you cherish, and that was not my intention.

My comment is this: the technical requirements to allow each and every player to have the ability not only to take an item and place it literally anywhere in the world, but also for the server architecture to support this feature is astronomical. We're not in a two-dimensional single-player game, nor are we in a two-dimensional MMO where this sort of thing was constructed from the get-go.

Both are single-player games.

If they implement this feature in the extremely-rabbled-about single player offline version of the game, then it makes sense. However, the developers have stated repeatedly that they will get to the SP Offline mode after the SP Online and Multiplayer content is complete, because the online portions are the most difficult to implement.

Overall, I advise patience.

15. raxxus

You're telling me we can have huge floating ships in cities, but a few candles on the ground will be a performance issue? Both RG / DS discussed RG's requirement of it and DS's feelings that it is possible performance wise.

If they aren't trying to create an innovative immersive online game; what are they trying to create? I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but I'm failing to understand the latest direction SoTA is headed.

16. Smitty

I just spit out my freaking coffee, are you serious? Are you serious? What world am I on? What forum is this for? What game is this?

Tarsilion, Jackrabbit and raxxus like this.
  17. Smitty

The discussion about item drop that RG and LB had before, the drawback wasn't performance but a concern on items like tables stacking up near a central spot, i.e. a bank. That was their concern when I saw it discussed. I could see decay timers being different in highly populated areas, but axing this would be a catastrophic mistake.

18. raxxus

Umbrae - are you trolling the forums? What game are you looking for if item drop and immersion doesn't sound good to you?

Tarsilion, Jackrabbit and Smitty like this.
  19. Smitty

They just hit SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS in add in store sales and we're to accept the item drop can't be put in? Are you kidding me right now?

Tarsilion, TEK and Jackrabbit like this.
  20. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

Yes, we are expected to accept it, just like we are expected to accept card combat and the other wonderful systems they have ground-breakingly designed for us. I don't understand why you don't agree with their brilliance. I will caution you on your postings though, dissenters have a way of disappearing, either by choice or by force. . . . i'm just saying . . . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.