Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I don't want to play alone

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Violation Clauth, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I have the complete opposite problem. I went out on my own, had some plate on and a sword and had no problem to play alone. And I'm happy with this use base system because now our guild starts to level again together and not alone over the whole world to gain main XP. But now we can hit those mobs together and make progress away from numbers. I tank for my guild at the moment what is a joke itself, I'm not a tank but I understood the system and could gain fast damage. Okay I had also a bit luck that my things were not bugged.

SeleneNoctua and Miracle Dragon like this.
  2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

They really need to do a better job of indicating good starting areas for new solo players (i.e., in a subtle way, like a NPC suggesting that the player travel to the Hidden Vale to see the sights :rolleyes:) A new solo player venturing out of Soltown into Novia is NOT going to last very long against the foes he/she will face, especially with the use-based skill system...:(

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  3. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

this

4. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I can't agree here. I bought this game for the solo experience and have no desire to play an MMO, but I should still be able to explore the world and have a reasonable chance of defeating any monster. Maybe there are super tough monsters that are can be extremely difficult to take down solo, but the assertion that there should be monsters you cannot compete against in solo mode...... sucks.

Sir Cabirus, Aldo and 4EverLost like this.
  5. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I don't assert that there should be monsters you can't solo. I said there could be.
    I think we feel the same way. I just don't think we're going to get a world that is entirely open to the solo player. I think Portalarium has shifted their focus from a solo rpg with multiplayer features to an MMO with a story quest solo people can play.

Sir Cabirus, Ronan, rune_74 and 3 others like this.
  6. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Sadly, I agree with that assessment. :(

Sir Cabirus, Ronan and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  7. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Yes yes yes...the starter areas I know of are North Valeway, Kings Road, South Valeway all which are infested with little tiny spiders that tear me down in seconds! I can imagine when we are starting with 0 pool and trying to actually kill things to build a pool of xp...we'll be in dire trouble in these particular areas.

I'd prefer an area of many bunnies, deer, and some lowbie wolves...I think I could handle them at level 1 :)

Acred, Kvow, Miracle Dragon and 2 others like this.
  8. Gabriel Nightshadow

Hmm...I find this change of focus to be most disturbing :oops:

9. Gabriel Nightshadow

Well maybe not the wolves o_O Yeah, those spiders are VERY annoying :( Running out of focus too quickly casting healing touch and purify :eek:

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Not to further derail the thread, but I think part of the problem comes down to language. When this thing started it was referred to as a "Selective Multiplayer Game." That term was not familiar to people. But instead of sticking to the term and MAKING it familiar, I feel like the community and the development team started slinging the term MMO around instead. It was familiar. It allowed them to connect with MMO players without a paragraph of exposition explaining what they meant by "Selective Multi-player."

But language has a way of shaping perception - and even action - and months upon months of calling Shroud an MMO has helped turn it into one.

Sir Cabirus, 4EverLost and Sir Frank like this.
  11. Brandhor

Brandhor Avatar

I am having a rough start with r21 too, so what are the actual starting areas now? I am having zero ideas currently and am getting teared down anywhere i go, spiders are out of question since they come in a pack of 3 or more and i cant damage a single spider yet?

12. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I started over completely and am not having any of these issues, patience and strategy are all that's really needed. I've been reading alot of complaints centered around the misconception that its too difficult at lower levels, i still find it is not, granted, i'm not limiting myself to daggers this time around but i bet i could still over come it with them.

13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Well I'm sure things will get better with balance etc...but as it stands now...I'm pretty squishy in full cloth. I'm not really complaining, just thinking it would be great to have a spiderless area to start in :)

14. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

fyi i am wearing full cloth and using a sword

15. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

I think we're all in agreement that the help available for newbies to make the game "stickier" is sorely lacking at the moment, but with the systems in a state of flux and the game itself in pre-alpha, it's hasty to condemn the lack of welcoming features until we get to Beta and most main features and locations are set.
    I think it's important to realize, especially if you've been here since the chicken room and bravely recreated yourselves through multiple wipes, that you shouldn't project your level of passion and commitment onto others in a pre-alpha environment.
    I would suggest that if we want to make the game AT ITS CURRENT LEVEL OF DEVELOPMENT more attractive and sticky for newbies, that maybe we should form a small group of like minded people and create an illustrated welcome document or video that would benefit the newbies we care about, and by extension, all the others as well. Even a warning not to stand and fight spiders would probably save a lot of people grief.
    I know there's a hint box that you get to opt out of when you first create your avatar, but if you're honest with yourself, how many gamers are into reading text boxes?
    Just a suggestion
    Sil

Acred and Miracle Dragon like this.
  16. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Well I am in full cloth too...still think it's a bit OP for a low level char :)

17. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

WOW well said .... I so agree, that's one of the reasons I decided to support this game, for the solo and multi play aspects of it.... I am a solo'er at heart, but also enjoy interacting with real live people ... hence . i play multiplayer mode solo mostly and with others for a change of pace, but rarely :) With out seeing other players in game, I get bored really fast, it's fun and interesting seeing what others are doing and I like to be able to help them now and then if I can. And I like choice of interacting with Real people or not. This game is heading in the right direction and will have many supporters, BUT for longevity? COMBAT needs to be more fun, when I cast a spell or shoot my bow or swing my blades, I want to say "WOW!!!", but right now it's eeh ... I know it's a work in progress, just saying. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    docdoom77 likes this.
  18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Be sure to check that your sword isn't broken! I've noticed that it isn't putting up the "broken weapon" stat icon lately, possibly since the last week of R20. I was just now wondering why I couldn't kill anything, then found that my sword was at 0/73.

Chatele likes this.
  19. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Could respond to a lot, but I wanted to try a stab at the original "Alone" thought.

Premise: You are a casual player who will solo a lot but wants to find groups easy without joining guilds (not even sure of the mechanic for joining guilds anyway).
    Problem: For storyline, you need to go bust up some bandits but you are still low level (and yet at the right level for this part of the story). Can swap experience or grit for level... not a level fan.
    Solution: Recruiter station in the big towns. Like hanging out at the temporary manpower line in the morning till a job comes in. A mechanism for making small groups to tackle problems like this. This is a rough idea, but gives a location in the town to find others in the same boat, at the same relative time that can join a group and go lay down the law.

This could be player driven even if the developers do not like it. Thoughts?

Jivalax Azon and Miracle Dragon like this.
  20. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Could we just get a scene with only deer & rabbits & sheep, farmland yea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.