Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

20 card decks are too big for this current system

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Cryodacry, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Please think about bringing the max required deck size down to 15. This is not like the old system where getting 5x cards was easy. Getting your 4th and 5th card of any ability takes a monumental amount of work. Right now i find my self tossing in junk spells to avoid getting slugs because i can no longer fill the deck with abilities on my bar. I like the scaled approach to this and Decks as a whole are a great concept. The advantage of using them is null as their is not a focus benefit. The only benefit for using a deck is avoiding the Cooldown.

I would suggest starting at 8 and working to 15 .... People can make bigger decks if they want. The problem now is that we can't get enough cards to fill the decks due to who the skill progressions is working and the Perceived adventuring level not matching up at all.

Tarsin, Kara Brae, Budner and 4 others like this.
  2. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Just logged in... I'm level 1 and my deck needs 8 glyphs to be clear of slugs. I started with 19 glyphs. Seems about right to me... only missing that i could chose which glyphs i start with.

Which level are you at the moment Cryodacry?

mbomber likes this.
  3. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

you logged in and used swords also ... There is no way to fill out your glyphs using the "base abilities"

I am not sure how to check my adventure level anymore but i have to be atleast 30 compaired to the old system because i have 20 glyph slots and i litterally have no means of filling it out with meaningful abiltiies... my pole arm skills are coming up on 24 tier 1 and 15 tier 2 8 tier 3 my base Polearm skill is 83 which has helped a lot .... I still think the deck system requires too many glyphs as is .... There is no penalty for locking your cards ..... Either the 1/2 focus perk of using a deck needs to come back or decks need to have a 15 glyph min Requirement. If people want bigger decks let them make bigger decks but as is this isn't working out.

4. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Agreed completely and continuing to fight the battle of slugs myself.

I specialize. I am Ice and Fire with a bit of healing. I do not jack of all trades my characters. I do not see a benefit to gameplay to force a minimum amount of cards.

Soulicide, Tarsin, Budner and 3 others like this.
  5. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Hit "V" and read the first line.

mbomber likes this.
  6. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I havent used swords, but indeed that's the ones i counted. I plan to raise ranged which is what i want to be and what i saved money for while putting sword skills to decrease.

I'm thinking that maybe the problem is that the deck size is taking the sword glyphs in consideration, and by raising new skills you increase your level, but you can never get enough glyphs to complete your deck since you level faster than you earn glyphs. If that what's happening is something to take in consideration.

7. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Honestly ... 15cards would seem about perfect .... Masters / Grand Masters should be able to load up a deck with the abilities and use them frequently. Right now i am Pole arms and i have 5 glyphs for pole arm. Due to how passives work now and that they bump up your Adventuring level.... I have a huge Adventuring level and still struggle to get my decks filled with cards.

8. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

I would argue the differ that the min deck requirement at the end of the road is too high..... Way too high ....

9. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Too many for me. I have:

1-Ice Bolt
    2-Fire Bolt
    3-Ice Fist
    4-Fire Fist
    5-Healing touch
    6-Purify
    7-Fireball
    8-Ice Shield

I will probably add ring of fire eventually...maybe play with an elemental once I get really high level to see how they are coming along...but I don't count 15 spells...So either add more spell options for our trees, or just get rid of a minimum...I don't see any value in it.

10. Katrina Bekers

Baldrith, what about putting more copies of each of those eight spells in the deck?

- if you use dealt deck, combos and stacks will be very useful
    - if you use only locked slots, who cares about the slugs anyway?

mbomber and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  11. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I can share your concern regarding your current situation, i'll pay attention to how my deck size grows as i train the skills i want. Regarding the high end deck... never seen it going higher than 30 glyphs... seems fair enough to me for a high end deck; you can put 5 instances of 6 skills and go around using them... then lock some others and you're good to go.

12. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

You realize you do not get your 4th or 5th copy of a glyph till rank 60 / 80 .... Hitting the max glyph count can be done in 1-2 nights of causal play. Hitting rank 60/80 on 4-6 abilities is not achievable in a short time. This is why the deck needs to be reduced or Passives need to not count in your adventuring level.

13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I didn't notice that adding copies was removing slugs anymore...That's how I was dealing with it in past releases...just making a couple of junk number areas to remove slugs...

Ice Queen likes this.
  14. Katrina Bekers

I do.

But eight per three still goes over 20, last time I checked, and having more copies of every skill has only advantages. Combos, stacking, no slugs, and the relative frequency of every single skill is maintained (or can be tweaked down as appropriate).

mbomber, Aegis159 and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Chris. Please remove slugs, let them be represented in the unseen numbers behind the scenes. We are told we can make the kinds of builds we want but yet we have slugs, must we see them, isn't there another way than littering up our bars. That's crazy to me. Some people don't want all the extra stuff and cannot play the way they want. :)

Lord Baldrith and Cryodacry like this.
  16. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

How about if too few cards just reduced dealing speed?

mbomber, Jambot, KuBaTRiZeS and 6 others like this.
  17. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

that actually is very reasonable... the whole slug mechanic is kinda bad because it takes away from the fun to have to discard it ... i know there is a quick discard button but i am old and never had the twitch reflexes.

mbomber, Ice Queen and docdoom77 like this.
  18. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

That's hard... by removing them and making it unseen it's a harder learning curve for new people to know that they're not getting the fullest experience. The slugs are the reminder you're not doing something "best"... don't forget that as you ask to have them removed.

mbomber, Chris, Siriustar and 2 others like this.
  19. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Most don't see them that way; they see them as saying the way you are playing is wrong, even tho is may be a very viable build (except for the artificial limit causing the slugs).

I see this as a good solution. You don't need cards as often with a smaller deck. The only thing I worry about for this is that you lose more opportunities for combos. So *how much* slower will be a concern.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  20. marthos

marthos Avatar

Great point! Rather than completely hidden behind the scenes, how about some text in the deck building window that indicates your current draw speed and that more cards = faster draw speed. People wouldn't necessarily view having a "Fast" draw speed as a negative penalty, but rather that adding more cards to get "Fastest" as a positive bonus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.