Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Need way to turn off Reagent Use

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

My immediate reaction was.. if all spells require reagents.. then if you 'turned them off' you wouldn't be able to cast. I've been saying this for well over a year.. balance reagent cost and availability and it won't be a problem. Then there are other suggestions from both Redfish and myself to make them more useful.

KuBaTRiZeS and AvatarAcid like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

This is exactly why they haven't turned on Reagents=Required yet, which they mentioned in the R9 postmortem. But I understand your intent in terms of making testing less annoying, menial, time-consuming, etc. Oh how I wish they'd just give us the secret dev console.

Remember when they were nice :) and used to give us crates full of objects to decorate houses with to test the decoration system? Later, they took those away and we actually had to test the crafting system before we can test decoration. Go figure. Maybe if you asked nicely, they'd leave crates filled with reagents at your Obsidian tower.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

And ruin my consecutive streak of not asking nicely? o_O

I'm actually not saying "just for testing". I don't really know what the plan is for the devs concerning reagents. It's confusing to me. If the plan is to make reagents required in some fashion, I don't know why we wouldn't test that now - since we're in testing. If the plan is to not require reagents, I don't know why we have them at all, they don't do a whole lot. I'm sure the "plan" is somewhere in the middle of those two extremes, but then I wonder why the devs don't tell us what the plan is and then allow us to test it - now.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I don't think I've ever seen a sulfurous ash pile in Novia. I suppose the areas that might make sense to find them in (near volcanic activity?) aren't developed yet.

EDIT: I might have gotten sulfurous ash in loot, but not from harvesting. My first two weeks of play were strictly in Novia, then I go to Hidden Vale, and right away, what's this gray mound of stuff? Now that I know what to look for, I still haven't yet seen an ash pile in Novia.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  5. Nastor

Nastor Avatar

Hmm... I found sulfurous ash, but that was probably in the vale...

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A lot of spawn points that are in are there temporarily.. but I find ash piles quite frequently. It has always been the plan though that resource locations make some kind of sense.

7. smack

smack Avatar

As with everything they do, it comes down to priorities and when they have a chance at iterating on incomplete / unbalanced features. It only took a year for them to come back to combat. Heck, look at crafting...they didn't touch that for over a year, and we're barely just getting refining/production skills.

So yeah, no idea. Maybe ask on the hangout today? :)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  8. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Has anyone tried to calculate what the effect of intelligence on the efficacy of the touch spells? I realized touch spells were very weak until I remembered to buy the intelligence skill (that is a hilarious notion right there). But what makes the spell more powerful more quickly, better skill in the spell, or better intelligence?

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  9. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Whaaat? If you use a spell (that requires reagents) to level up that skill, you should use the reagents.... Get used to it, your practicing to build skill... For basic magic (with no power) you don't need reagents... No OFF button for reagent use, if you want an OFF button, then you can't use the spell... Or alchemy, or anything else that uses reagents...

10. LagerthaLokbrok

LagerthaLokbrok Avatar

I agree 100%. I have found it really frustrating as a caster to be able to collect reagents for casting and for crafting. As soon as I have any of the reagents in my inventory...as I collect them on my journeys, they are being used up by my spells that use reagents. I may not have all of the reagents for the spell when I cast the spell, but any of the reagents I do have are consumed. I wear cloth armour which should then allow me to toggle off the use of reagents. In the other case of those who wear heavy armour then they must have the reagents. I would like to toggle the use of the reagents on or off so if I wish to save my reagents for crafting I can do so. Or if i wish to cast my spells without the use of the reagents I would like this option. Another thought is have a toggle to flag just for crafting.

11. LagerthaLokbrok

LagerthaLokbrok Avatar

I like your idea of trying and putting them in the sack. Perhaps there could be a toggle that puts the reagents you are gathering into a crafting sack you have in your inventory. At the same time you could still have the reagents in the consumables to be usee for casting.

Moonshadow likes this.
  12. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

I respect all of the opinions stated here, but for me, this is a bizarre request. Reagents should be 100% required without even the current fizzle mitigation implementation. Its currently immersion breaking to know reagents are essentially...optional. Now, yes, I agree, this whole system needs work. I'm in favor of boosting the potency of spells greatly to accommodate the limitations reagents place on a magic user. The rarer the combination of reagents, the more potent the effect of the spell.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  13. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

If there's somebody who wants reagents to be mandatory is Drocis... don't miss his point, he's asking this from the standpoint that currently, reagents are optional. Since they're optional, we should be able to choose when to spend them or not. And as long as reagent consumption is optional for whatever benefit they give, i'd like to have that option in.

Regarding reagent consumption as immersion breaking.... there's no such thing, because magic is a made up thing. Shooting without arrows is immersion breaking, but casting without reagents is just a way of doing magic. we can discuss expectations, but not immersion. Apart from that, i'm partly with you; i'd like reagents to increase the potency of spells (or modify/add the effect of the spell), but to be kept optional, so they can be this magical and strange ingredients, not just as common as salt or pepper.

helm likes this.
  14. Bolck

Bolck Avatar

Of course, reagents should be required for all spells

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.