Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Wolves Running Away

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Traveller13, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I notice that wolves are running away when reaching around 5% health this release. I don't recall seeing that in earlier releases. I wonder if a hit to compassion will occur if a player kills a wolf that is in that state.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

It was like that from last release. But no repercussion so far.:)

3. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

it's funny if you're an archer because wolves stand there waiting to be shot. I assumed at 5% health they accept their deaths :cool:

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If there is some kind of virtue hit that would be kind of lame.. I would normally be inclined to not kill them if I didn't know they were going to start attacking me again as soon as they get a little bit of health back. Right now it feels like their running away is just a wee bit insincere. At that point they should keep on running away from you regardless of their health. THEN I would be a little more merciful.

5. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Yeah, taking down an enemy that's fleeing doesn't sound honorable... but are animals accounted into virtue? that's something to think about.

Taking animal behavior in consideration... wolves usually don't attack humans unless they're starving or felt cornered or threatened, and they'll never attack alone. What makes sense from that perspective is to make wolves fight in packs and as you bring some members of the pack down, the rest flee. It may be a bit much to ask (different IA's for every kind of enemy), but i think nothing gives a better vibe of realism that animals behaving like animals... and of course each kind NPC behaving the way you expect them to behave.

helm likes this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Unnatural animal behavior has always been a pet peeve of mine. Though I think there may be some lore explaining that this behavior isn't natural and a sign that something is wrong. I think it's eluded to in one of the Through the Rift books FL wrote? But that just makes me not want to kill wolves and bears that much more. If they don't attack me first I'm usually inclined to leave them be.. but knowing they will attack I may as well take initiative.

What I would really like.. is some sort of skill to make non-aggressive animals.. well.. non-aggressive..

KuBaTRiZeS and helm like this.
  7. helm

helm Avatar

A skill would be something I'd like to see too, but I'd also very much like to see it tied to virtue somehow, going both ways, firstly so that one's actions concerning animals would be accounted into virtue (for example, initiating attacks against animals and leaving their dead bodies just lying there, should definitely be considered non-virtuous), and secondly your virtue would affect how animals behave towards you (i.e. high virtue = slightly lowered probability of getting attacked by animals).

As to the skill side, such a skill would be a natural innate "taming" skill (but then one should perhaps again reconsider the place of "Taming" in the skill tree -- combat, tactics or even something else?). Virtue and skill could be complementary, so that in order to truly become an "animal whisperer", one should have both high virtue and high skill.

I would rather see it as the question regarding general complexity of the AI (perhaps in the form of an "AI engine") than different AIs for each guy. Actually it's been kind of a hot topic these past couple of years...for instance I've seen more than one MMORPG advertising their mobs behaving in more advanced, say, "goal oriented" ways rather than in more straightforward action-reaction fashion. Unfortunately can't seem to find any of those advertising talks right now -- but here's Ken Levine discussing his idea of "Narrative Legos":

Yes! :)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I am mostly in agreement with maybe the exception of a skill going into taming. Actually I think it should be the other way around.. taming should be a branch of some kind of nature skill tree. What I envision in a skill here is learning how to behave in a way animals find non-threatening. Basically your character understands animal behavior and has learned how they act and react.

Kendaric and helm like this.
  9. helm

helm Avatar

Yes, I that would be even better - I did anticipate something like that a bit ("..combat, tactics or even something else?") but did not want to go too deeply into it to avoid complexity obscuring the point -- but I agree that some kind nature skill tree could be the most desirable place for taming in general, with combat training being only a (small?) part of it.

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm still hopeful that we will be getting a lot more skills than we have now. It was always a plan that new skills would be added after launch and beyond.

11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I like it when they do that while they're still on fire from Immolation. They walk away a little bit and flop over.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Even in melee combat, half the time they just move 3 steps away and stop.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  13. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

If I remember correctly, your compassion took a hit if you killed fleeing enemies in Ultima IV. Of course, I played it 30+ years ago, and a lot has happened since then. So I may not be remembering correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.