Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Many people stopped playing

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Edward Newgate, Sep 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Last view weaks i noticed how many peaple that i normal play with every singel day have stopped playing.
    After talking with a lot of guys and girls of cours, they all told me the same reason.
    (as and edit: a lot of peapel thing i have this complains i mostly enjoy the game alot there are little things that bother me but hey you cant every thing right? :) )

First reason: Skill decay and the fact there is now a skill cap and how back then it was promised that we would have no hardcap at all.
    (what i picked up)

Skill decay doesnt seem right maby haw many skills you can max out or make xp gain redic. high.

Second reason: How the skill trea now works and opens for a lot of botting and makroing.
    (wich can allsow be done with the old system doesnt bother me)

Third reason: The fealing of grinding when you forced to train skills you dont want to use in the skill tree to get to your skills.

A lot of peapl who are aktiv now only log in maby for player events. And iam talking of peaple who have in the past allways aktiv worked on bug finding testing and supporting the community.
    Here is somthing wrong big times. And a lot of peaple that where 100% commit to the game sunndenly starting to talk about quitting for good even some big town owners.

@Chris
    @DarkStarr
    somthing has gone realy realy wrong.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  2. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

Hmm, i have actually played a lot more since the new use system was introduced. I had logged in before only to get that hats, then that even bored me. I feel energized after the obsidian towers and the new use system but i do hope they will move some of the skills around a bit. I do not really have any advice for them at the moment though. I primarily like healing or necromancer type characters. (Diablo 2)

3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Have you reached this supposed "cap" yourself ?

I ask because having some first hand information would be very handy, rather than unfortunately what I must say is mere hearsay.​

Just wondering how far my character is from this "cap"...

My primary character is Adventurer Level 37, and has 1581 levels across 73 combat skills, with three skills over 50 (my highest in 97), and an additional 19 skills over 30.​

4. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

reaching 80 wouldnt be bother you at all in a skill, if you want go 100 or higher it will get harder and harder even u use the skill each day to fight against the skill decay.

Say you are a woodencrafts man. You craft your stuff each day to make money and get batter. Suddenly you are forced to craft stuff or your skill would go down.
    Think about that way you would get worth and worther in your profassion for crafting and practiseing and training each day wich makes no sens at all.

The decay system is in place to prevent that peapel max out all skills in all the skill treas. But it feals wrong to do it that way.

Capping how many skills you can have or make the xp gain so HIGH that it takes ages would be batter way for a lot of peapel.

Gurney2 and mbomber like this.
  5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yuck. Definitely not one of those people myself.

But to each their own I guess.

6. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

You know that having this system and the normal system having right now would have the same outcome for how many skills you can train?
    The diff. would be on one skill. Somtimes it feals alot of peaple dont see the big pictur. Ask you self the question what perp. have all this systems what should they achive. I mean does it sound for you fun to loos skillpoints for playing activ the game? Does this make any sens?

For me this is not the game breaker but for others but i understand wy they dont like it.

And i dont say that one or the other is batter. but fact is a lot of core players are thinking right now quitting the game, players who helped aktiv to shape the game and thats somthing that shows me that somthing is wrong.

This worries in my post arnt all my own worries its that what alot of players talk about on daly bases in different ts.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    mbomber likes this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm curious, Duke R, how the current "Adventurer Level" correlates to our old "Adventurer Level" from R20?
    I'm asking because we can't see exactly what our "pool" is, ie. how much we've used at whatever level we are now.
    I know I was level 81 in R20 and have no idea whether or not (at this point) I've "used up" my xp pool..... (Currently at Adventurer Level 42).

mbomber likes this.
  8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Having an explicit level cap would mean that once you reach that cap, it is an absolute guarantee that one of your other skills will decrease to compensate.

Under the current system, there are no absolutes. Skills drop eventually yes, but each skill is allowed to decay at its own rate (with the higher ones decaying faster than the lower ones).

Of course, if one accounts for the maximum amount of experience a player can accumulate and spend in a single 24 hour period, then yes there is a maximum cap in the decay system.

However it is not as simple as "I reached the maximum, one of my other skills must have dropped to account for it".

That character had Adventurer Level 55 I believe ? My memory is a little iffy, but it was in that range.

9. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

I wonder if they could consider variable rates of decay? If i got on a 3 week holiday now, im not very "rusty" when i come back to work because ive been embalming people over 25 years, whereas when i was new to the job a little time away took longer to recover from. Perhaps they could do something similar in game. The player that hits 100+ for the first time or period of time decays faster and/or more than someone that has kept their skills up over a longer period. Master wood-craftsman that have been playing for months might loose less, loose slower and regain much faster than less consistent players. I wont mind the decay myself as i am a casual player but i can see how it might get stale pretty fast for regular players. Maybe they could even offer occasional decay free holidays if we toggle we will be away from our account for a while. We want the game to feel fun, not like a job - at least i do. Still, i love the use based system and support the necessity of decay.

Jivalax Azon, Albus and mercster like this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The skill progression is set up to have dimishing return, if you get a skillto 40, you should already be 70% effective with it. Going from 80 to 100 is a minute difference, and over 100 is a negligible, but present, increase. The only way decay would be a big issue if if you actually stop using the skill for 40 days and its 90 or more, from what ive read from chris. This will only hurt if you have alot of skills you rarely use, and they are all over 90.

macroing is not an issue. Its a 1 time side effect of people starting at the bottom of a new progression system and already having millions of xp. The playerswho started with new character have not been able to macro. In fact, theresan issue with skills drawing xp from the pool that only a newer player has been able to catch.

I havent noticed a lack of people, it even seems like theres more around to me. They just hit 7 mill in donations and arealready up almost a wuarter mil from that mark from donations.

And the same goes for crafting skills. Once youget good enough to make everything youd have to go over a month without crafting a single thing for the relatedskill.

11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I haven't noticed less people player. In terms of the skill system, I think it is a huge improvement on the old one......albeit I would love to be able to ditch some skills.

The one thing that is driving me mad is the complete lack of damage attached to magery......having trained those skills up and finding that they are not effective has kind of put me off this release. I assume magery is broken? I don't think ive seen any official word on it.

12. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Well half of the regular peapel we chat and play would quit the game so think about that ;)

mbomber likes this.
  13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Ive only noticed the few people i talked to on the pax veritas teamspeak gone. I met several new guys, and actually am playing with more people than i was last release

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Most of what ive seen in feedback about skill managment is people want a way to get rid of them faster.

15. mercster

mercster Avatar

I've heard from a lot of people that mage skills feel nerfed this release. Of course it's hard to gauge something like this when so many big changes are going on (R21 with the use-based skills, constant development, etc.)

My theory is that, to encourage play-testing on areas that need it, they may nerf something for awhile just to get more eyeballs on another area, like melee or archery :). Just a theory, but I've been in software development/testing, and it's an entirely valid method.

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

On the subject of skill decay, chris has publicly stated that they intend to have a way to let you prevent decay on chosen skills. Which would allow those skills to progress forever.

Soulicide, Sara Dreygon and mbomber like this.
  17. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

This game is designed to be a niche game, not a game that appeals to the masses. With so many other gaming options out there for the players expecting/wanting something different, there is no compelling reason for them to deal with the frustrations they are experiencing. So the people who have left, will leave, and the new people at launch who may try it and not like it, well. . . this game wasn't designed for them.

While it may seem to some that Portalarium is narrowing the player base, by experimenting with so many controversial systems in ways that alienate so many players, in actuality, they are designing a game that will have very hardcore almost 'cult like' support from the small percentage of the gaming community that they are targeting as their audience.

Surely after all the details are ironed out, 'some' of those people will take a second look at the game to see if it has playability for their own interests, but many will not as they will be enjoying the other games that feed their interest. You rarely get a second chance to make a first impression, but that's okay, if they don't like use based skill progression or card combat mini games, they aren't the players we want anyway.

Beli, Sara Dreygon and mbomber like this.
  18. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Well a lot of peapel i talking helped shaping the game in many different ways ;) And your " they arent the players we want anyway" allone there fore you should go in the corner of your room and shame your self.
    peaple like you.... no comment on the rest.

Chatele and mercster like this.
  19. mercster

mercster Avatar

I disagree and think you're having a poor attitude...

I'm quite sure that if you asked the developers, they want everybody to play this game. :) As do I; since I am really only interested in the online aspects, if noone is in the world, that makes for a crappy experience...

And that's fine in theory, until you narrow yourself so much that only the hardcore inner circle of fans play, and you have servers to keep up, content to add every month, new episodes to produce, etc. I kinda wish the game had a monthly fee.

Also, the idea is to not only "keep" the players who are playing now (pre-alpha, remember), but to attract new ones up to and after the final version is launched.

We want all players. I agree that use-based systems will not be liked by all, but for your average player, I doubt this will be a huge bone of contention. It's only a popular topic right now because the pre-alpha players are getting used to it, and watching it get built. As far as the combat goes, I wouldn't call the deck system a "mini-game". It's a new take on combat in a genre that needs new mechanics to keep players interested, and I think it's fabulous. To call it a mini-game is just disparaging it without telling anyone why you don't like it...

gruenok, leilakin, Soulicide and 4 others like this.
  20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Ok let's be clear on something first.

The game isn't a game yet, it is them testing systems to find out how they will work and testing different areas. That first and foremost is the point of these releases, they aren't here to be the most entertaining etc.

Secondly, people quiting who are "shaping the game" isn't relevant. They don't like a certain thing? Get on the forums and discuss it, posts like this of well everyone is leaving...could be related to numerous things, like it's tedious to level y our character with the same stuff and not really have anything to do.

Nothing you do right now will be permanent. Know this, accept this. So, aside from some, most will not put the time into setting up their characters/homes etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.