Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Build 21 Shroud is "Just too hard" For New players [With 30 sec Video!]

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Magnarune, Sep 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnarune

Magnarune Avatar

Build 21 Shroud is "Just too hard" For New players;

Every Monster too hard to Kill,

Most drops little 20-25 Gold, (Unknown) Little XP.
    Skill gains are Slow, the difference between 1 and 56 Bladed combat is 18.3% Damage. Not big help

Repair kits costing 100 Gold, Very Expensive, you have to repair some pieces 3X to get to 100.

Really Hurting new players. Gear is getting *Wrecked* and double Wrecked.

Mining Ore/Ingots. All gathering slow. is Tough now because of Hard Skills Gains!

Gaining .01 Skills per try. No one has ORE Any more, No One can do Field Dressing. Gathering Too Slow.

SOLUTION:
    Can Levels be Easier, Skill gains more potent, Double or Tripple gold from Enemies.
    Why NOT Let the players get POWERFUL and have fun quickly its ALPHA for goodness sakes! Its all wiped!!

Every Test server I've ever seen. You get Checks for 100,000 gold, and a Copy of Every Armor item/House Deed in the Game.
    Can even set your Levels **if you want to**
    Great for Testing.

:(:(:(:(:(:( In Build 21, If I was new, I'd be sad, poor and quit after a week. :(:(:(:(:(:(

30 Seconds of me fighting Bear Hurting for 5%. Last patch took 5 Shots, now takes 5 Mins!!

After 5 Minutes: Loot! Nothing! about 2 Animal Hides... If you can Field dress them LoL

losludvig, 0pi8, Andaluz and 5 others like this.
  2. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Everything really does need to be a lot easier to kill.

It should be roughly from weakest to toughest:
    * Domesticated/farm/hunting animals (let's say sheep, then harts, then wolves and bears)
    * Weak undead (skeletons and zombies)
    * Things like spiders and scorpions and orcs
    * Strong undead (skeletal footmen/archers/mages)
    * Intelligent undead (liches)
    * Large monsters (trolls, ogres)
    * Magic monsters (phoenix, demons, liche lords)
    * Epic monsters (dragons, demon lords)

So when we regularly come across bears and wolves, even low levels shouldn't be running for their lives on a regular basis. They shouldn't raise skills much because they should drop quickly.

Magnarune likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

What do you expect from a bear ? ;) I wish we could get a bear hide though rather than a generic animal hide.

I don't know, everything has to be balanced out, but part of the purpose of alpha is to help balance the mechanics for the final game... making us powerful during alpha doesn't help testing even if its just gonna be wiped.

4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Well, traditional games would wait until BETA to attempt to balance game systems.

The devs here are attempting to balance the system as they go along, in order to greatly shorten the beta period... Which unfortunately means they will be hideously unbalanced for a couple of releases after new functionality goes in.

I would expect the devs to have the use-based system better balanced for new players in the next month.

Your input on the "New Player Experience" is invaluable, and we thank you for testing it. :)

(As for myself, I will only be testing it in R23 when they wipe everything again)

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

I guess bear meat might make sense too. ;)

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

First off that is a Bear Patriarch - not a lowly bear You are in the second from the top tier of monsters. All your points do not float sorry. (well only one I might agree to is test stuff, but I work with the game and get stuff)

If you cannot handle that go try a bear. Bear, Brown Bear, Lg Bear, Grizzly, Lg Grizzly, Bear Patriarch, Obsidian Bear (Lg Polar Bear) pretty much in order.

Before anyone starts to complain about what a new player is / will go thru how about to start from scratch and learn how to do it. I cannot wait until R23.

You will NOT be able to go out and kill a Bear in the first few days - that is as is should be.

I am soo sorry that all the previous releases let us just run amuck right out of the gate, and now over 50% are crying foul.

the game is set up just like Quenton said, go out find them they are there - work your way up - If the critter you are fighting has a complex name - Large, Hardened, Patriarch, Obsidian, etc . . . it is probably to hard for you. Go find the plain old BEAR. BTW a Bear and a Wolf are pretty mean critters, we will have to start on Chickens / Sheep / Deer / and other non aggressive type before we try and take on something aggressive.

I do not know to may players at HIGH levels that can just walk up to a Bear Patriarch and kill it, and if you are going to say I could do it easily in R20, don't. That is past

Luca Xante, mbomber, strabo and 8 others like this.
  7. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Totally agree with Weins201 on this. IMHO this is more like a game should be - you start out very weak, and very gradually, with experience and slogging, work your way up the ladder.
    We expect this game to last one year (and that's only the first of five episodes). What fun would it be if everyone could max out their skills in a month? We would all be running around slaying everything in sight and getting bored pretty quickly. At this rate it's going to be a continuing challenge for a long time to come.
    I am delighted that I can now actually kill small wolf spiders - they were putting me down almost instantly! And I will continue to get that sense of achievement as I progress further.
    At this stage in the game you have to be really careful where you go. The mobs in Solace Bridge are fairly low level - you will probably survive better there. Also North Valeway - but avoid the spiders! Ordinary bears in these areas are doable; patriarch bears in Deep Ravenswood are for much much later.
    And what should the devs be doing in the pre-alpha phase, if not preparing the game as close as possible to how it will be on release? Sure there is lots of tweaking and balancing to be done, but please don't expect to shoot your way to grandmaster almost instantly.
    This game teaches patience and endurance - both good values to apply in life as well.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  8. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

One thing I do agree on is mobs dropping more gold. Not 3 times as much but a little more would be nice. As for skills I do agree that there needs to be some balancing and adjustments done. I don't think skill gain is too slow right now but you also have to make sure you don't have a lot of things turned up. I usually try to pick a few skills to level at a time take then up to a certain amount then chose some others then kind of rotate around.

mbomber, Quenton and Soulicide like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I like R21 AI and the improvements that were made. I think this is much better than R20.

However it's very hard. I feel like most of the improvements (coupled with the new use based system) have been designed for POWER GAMERS first, perhaps because that's where a lot of our feedback comes from.

I'd love it if the developers could figure out a way to scale monsters and challenges for the individual player so that new guy isn't paying for the sins of level 100 power gamer guy.

10. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I like the challenge. I think when there is documentation it won't be quite as harrowing for new players. I do agree that certain things need some re-balancing and looted gold could be...a little less stingy in the beginning and for really tough creatures like Trolls. It is very unrewarding to kill a creature you've been fighting for 10 minutes only to get 12 gold. You can make more with a single mail delivery with no risk involved, no strategy needed, in a fraction of the time.

11. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Yes, right now things are unbalanced but the Devs clearly said it would be unbalanced because they are working on the new skill based system..as far as new users is concerned I would image it to be hard so they should stick to easier areas and be patiant and things will inprove for then soon..

12. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

We know it's unbalanced because it's new, but we either have to give feedback on what the direction should be, we have to hear from them what their direction is in upcoming releases/patches, or both.

Duchess Wyldemane and margaritte like this.
  13. Nubelite

Nubelite Avatar

This is just a non programmer rambling from a players view.
    I say keep it simple and give each skill tree that has combat skills a skill efficiency like the weapon trees do now, also for armor. Let that be the adventure level for the tree for leveling the skills in the tree and have it also be the modifier for each skill in the tree. As you get better with a sword all sword skills get slightly more powerful. Have each skill in that tree have a level requirement off the proficiency skill for learning it from the skill trainer. Since the proficiency skill will be the modifier for all the skills in the tree then no other skills need a leveling system. Can have decay on the main skill and in turn the rest of the tree will also decay, to the point where it can lock skills that were already learned.

This would make it easier for new players to understand and manage. When leveling the skill trees the exp can be split up so if someone wants to focus on just one to make it level faster they can, or spread it out to learn more and level slower. If a player wants to change their build they can without worrying about wasting skill points since each one would be separate from each other.

14. Vestal Alacrast

Vestal Alacrast Avatar

I just started last night, and after a bit of shock, getting used to controls, (Remembering to turn on auto attack) and learning combos I will say it is almost perfect in regards to progression.

It really reminds me of early UO. Its a bit tough, but you feel rewarded after each kill simply because its not a LOLZ faceroll every time.

I am up to 43 in sword now and unlocked quiet a few skills as well.

15. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I think that idea is fantastic in every way! Having the first skill in each tree be the modifier and "adventure level" that tree uses for skill ups fits in perfectly with a use base system.

Every skill you use in that tree could contribute to leveling the first skill, and the first skill essentially improves the effectiveness of the entire tree and dictates when you can earn new skills further down the tree. For example, level 5 unlocks tier 2, level 10 unlocks tier 3, level 25 unlocks tier 4, etc.

No more requiring 10 points in the skill(s) directly above it... and no more selecting skills you don't want / need to get to the next tier. Heck, you could even skip a tier just by working up the first skill by using the others you have a lot.

I'm not sure how hard that idea would be to code either, but I think the concept is one that everyone would enjoy and be able to figure out easily.

16. ottomaddux

ottomaddux Avatar

I skipped release 20, so I had no exp pool to work from, but I didn't find it to difficult to level up. It has been slow, but i'm high enough to hold my own. Granted I played previous releases where I learned what to avoid until I was ready. Oh and to get plate mail asap.

majoria70 likes this.
  17. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I barely survive one large grey wolf...I doubt I'd last 5 seconds with that bear :)

Ice Queen, mbomber, Heradite and 6 others like this.
  18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Well, a Bear Patriarch is one of the toughest bears in the game, I suggest you go to a lower level area and try brown bears until your skills go up, then large brown bears, grizzlies, then large grizzlies...

Womby, mbomber and 4EverLost like this.
  19. Neksi

Neksi Avatar

I'm a new player and I have to say that it can be quite hard and frustrating sometimes, but just because it's so easy to wander somewhere where the enemies are either too strong or in groups. When you learn where to explore and hunt, and when you get to know the game a little bit - how the fighting works, it's gets really fun. But yes, as a solo player (currently), I sometimes find it really hard to beat a group of enemies. But as far as I remember, that's the way it was in UO (which I loved). The beginning was really hard, but once you got a decent equipment, some skills, and you knew what to do, things got fun and exciting from there on. It's fun to see the progress - how a Timber Wolf was hell just a few days ago, and now I can handle a few of them, for example. I like the game to be hard and rewarding, but yes, it can turn away some of the new players. And repairing can be quite costly. :)

20. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

I hope SotA will be "very" hard in the end.

Im sick of all the current over simplefied games and mmos out there nowadays.

I enjoy getting killed by a Grizzly Bear arround the corner, or even an Patriach Bear.

Keep it hard and slow, i hate games, expecially mmos where you can get max lvl in 5 days!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.