Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Use Based Skills

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Joseph Rose, Sep 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph Rose

Joseph Rose Avatar

I know there are plenty of threads about the new system, but I have not seen anyone bring up this.

Most people are going to have a few skills they want as high as possible, so they will always leave them "turned on"

Other skills, people will want to level to a particular number, like 10, or 20, and then turn them off.

If the skills diminish over time, does this mean EVERY time you log in, you will need to check ALL your skills?

So something you wanted at 20, is now 18, so you need to turn it on.

Something you wanted at 10, is now 9, so you need to turn it on.

And then, as you begin playing for the afternoon, you would need to keep a close eye on when they got to the desired amount...... and immediately turn them back off, one at a time.....

So if you want Skill (A) at 10 Skill (B) at 20 and Skill (C) at 50, and so on, it will be a huge bother to keep them exactly where you want them?

Then you log out for a week, just to return, and have to start the whole task over again?

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The decay rate i think is currently 1 point every 40 days. So no

yes

no.

There is also planned to be a way to lock a number of skills so that they do not decay.

And you can also keep in mind that there is no hard limit on skill points. So if you have a specialty and want a few other skills, once you have your main "i use these constantly" skills up to a level your happy with (theyw ill continue to rise, but slowly) you can keep allt he other skills unlocked and let them rise and falla t their liesure

Jivalax Azon and Duke Raas like this.
  3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Actually, when you turn a skill off from leveling you don't have to turn it back on each time you log in... if you have opened up a skill below it that makes it a dependent. When you turn a skill off, move your mouse over the orange triangle and you will see that it says:

"Maintaining For Dependent Skill
    This skill will gain experience when a dependent skill is used in order to maintain the prerequisites of the dependent skill"

What that means is, if you have a skill that requires one above it to be level 10 and you shut that one off after reaching 10... it will decay if not being trained, but only until it is about to drop below 10. At that point, it will automatically use up exp to maintain that level so you can keep the skills selected below it.

I'm not sure if it keeps them "maintained" at the level you locked them at or if it just makes sure you have the minimum though. If you raised one to 15 even though the ones below only require it to be 10... then it may slowly decay back down to 10 if you don't manually turn it on again occasionally. I guess the best way to test this would be to take a skill to 11 and then use it until you gain 1 more green tick for good measure. Then lock it and don't turn it on for a week or two and see if that green tick is still there and/or if it drops down to 10 (with some green ticks still there.)

Hope that makes sense.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  4. Vermifuge

Vermifuge Avatar

Rather then setting a skill on or off we should be able to set a threshold. Meaning we set the level we want it caped at and if it falls below it automatically starts accumulating experience back to that set level.

5. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

A parent skill will not decay as long as it has sub skills Active.

So, if you have skill A at 10, which is required for skill B which you have at 20... the only skill that will Decay is B, until its 0, and then A will start decay.

if you have A->B+C->D , then only D will decay... etc.

That is ofcourse based on CURRENT Design, and its as we all know in very early stage with use based, so im sure it can/will change

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Jivalax Azon and Katrina Bekers like this.
  6. Joseph Rose

Joseph Rose Avatar

Yeah, it all sounds complicated :s

I know its far from finished, and I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud.

I just am trying to say what I think, because I want this game to be big.

Tyde likes this.
  7. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Hey, I just thought of a question. . . What happens when you hit the "level cap" and gain no more XP pool to use on skills? Is that a hard cap? . . . or did I miss something along the way...

8. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

There is no level cap.

Duke Raas likes this.
  9. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

So eventually all players will be able to one-shot a dragon? The only reason I ask is because, at least in R21, your "level" determines your ability to actually kill a monster before it kills you, or at least it plays a huge roll in level gating certain encounters. So let's say a dragon is level 100, and there's no cap for players, so I'm level 200... I should be able to one-shot the dragon because my adventurer level is never capped. Unless they institute an exponentially difficult soft cap curve for adventurer level or something like that...

10. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Yeah there is an exponentially difficult soft cap curve and diminishing returns after a certain point on how powerful you get. Remember they are trying to balance the game so a skilled relatively less powerful character can take on an unskilled high level character. Granted I'm not sure how you can get to a high level properly without getting skilled but there it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.