Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Lets Talk about Armor

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Cryodacry, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

@Chris,

I believe i have figured out what every stat does with armor. That being said there needs to be some drastic revamps to how armor currently works as the system is too exploitable. Believe you me i am going to be hurt the most by this balance pass =)

Please correct me if i am wrong on these Chris.

Damage Resistance (%DR) = This is a stat that decreases your damage you take from all sources. This stat ends up being a % Damage reduction.

Damage Absorption (%DA) = This stat is a flat damage reduction to physical attacks. This is a % damage reduction.

Damage Avoidance (DAv) = This stat is your magic stat. Damage Avoidance is the stat that will make you take 0's for damage. This is also the most powerful stat out of the whole bunch. Close to 80 % of the damage you take in this game is going to be physical unless your doing pvp. Damage Avoidance is the flat damage reduction post damage absorption and damage resistance.

From what i can gather the damage Calculation is close to this.

Physical Dmg
    (DMG x %DR x %DA) - DAv = Dmg Taken

Magical Dmg

(DMG x (%DR + Resist)) = Dmg Taken

This is a very vague understanding of how Armor stats work as i know. Now to the point of this post.

The stats for Damage Resistance on all the pieces of armor are actually in a very good place. The Damage Absorption on the other hand is not in a good place. This stat is only found on the chest piece that determines your Armor preset that the glyphs consider your skill set. This causes a very exploitative environment as a caster in cloth can have all cloth but their chest piece and deal with 28% fizzel but gain 85% physical damage absorption. To balance this, The stat for the absorption needs to be cumlative. In addition it needs to be distributed across all the pieces. The following would be an example.

Current | New
    Plate Chest ------- .85 | .3
    Plate Leggings ----- 0 | .2
    Plate Helm --------- 0 | .1
    Plate Gloves -------- 0 | .15
    Plate Boots --------- 0 | .1
    Total --------------- .85 | .85

Under this model you will be allowed to mix and match to the level of reduction you need. This will also allow proper scaling up to the full set bonus for Plate.

The next aspect that is in dire need of change would be the fact that your skills are solely determined by what chest piece you have equipped. When in fact you might be only wearing 1 piece of heavy armor. With the introduction of %Effectiveness in R21. I would suggest you assign a % effectiveness to each slot. This will make it a lot more realistic and give access to all of the skills. How effective those skills are will be determined by how much light or heavy armor you are wearing. Here is an example table of some Armor effectiveness.

Chest = 35%
    Leggings = 25%
    Helm = 12.5 %
    Gloves = 15 %
    Boots = 12.5 %

Under that premise if you are wearing a plate chest. and the rest cloth. You will have 35 % effectiveness with heavy armor skills and 65 % effectiveness with light armor skills. This Effectiveness is on all skills in that tree. This will enable hybrid builds but encourage staying in one class of armor. If you would like to have 50/50 Effectiveness in heavy and light you can equip gloves and chest as one and the rest as the other. This would be an interesting means of mixing armor pieces balancing fizzle and getting the desired effects.

Now to finish up with set bonuses. I believe the concept and implementation of set bonus are in a great place. I would say that a buff to the incentive would be a worthy mention. Raising it to 30 % would go a long ways to encourage full sets of armor.

I used plate for this example but the same concept and % distribution of absorption can be applied to the other types. Starting with this will allow a proper pass on leather armor which is in a very weird place right now.

(edit: Formating)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

a friendly bump to the thread to make sure at least the dev's get a gander of this armor system.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  3. Zassik Dreadmort

Zassik Dreadmort Avatar

I think the main problem with armor right now that is there's no reason to wear anything other than plate or cloth. Chain and leather are just not useful from what I've seen. The lower % to fizzle with chain is drastically outclassed by the sheer amount of DR and DA of plate. Leather is similar when compared to cloth as the increased fizzle % of leather isn't worth the minimal increase in DA and DR of leather over cloth.

At least that's how it feels to me. Maybe when there's really end game armor available the spread will be big enough to make the middle armors worth it.

4. Zassik Dreadmort

Zassik Dreadmort Avatar

Having just done a quick run in some crafted plate, all other armor I've used seems like cloth.

I'm sure it's going to get looked at in the future since it is pretty obvious when you're playing but I figured I may as well say it while I'm thinking about it.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes, I have the same impression at the moment.

It will be interesting to see how future changes to the costs of repairing will affect my perception of that though.

It is far easier for me to replace a Leather outfit than it is for me to replace a Plate one. Future changes may make it more cost effective to use a full Leather outfit for general adventuring, and leave my Plate outfit for the more dangerous treks. :)

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  6. Helseth

Helseth Avatar

I seem to remember an old skill tree for medium armour which seemed to be geared toward having a 'melee dps' type character. What ever happened to that?

7. Zassik Dreadmort

Zassik Dreadmort Avatar

I'd like to see a medium armor skill tree back in game.

8. Abhann

Abhann Avatar

+1 agree :)

9. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Yes i agree, If they brought medium armor back, it would give chain / leather more place in the game... It would be awesome if they put in a new style of armor, Studded leather. This would be a good middle ground armor. Leather would qualify as maybe both light and medium armor ? Chain medium / Heavy ? .... interesting concept anyways.

Kendaric likes this.
  10. Kendaric

Kendaric Avatar

Why was medium armor removed in the first place?
    And I agree, studded leather/brigandine would be a nice addition. The way I picture it, it would be: Cloth, leather = light, studded, chain = medium, plate = heavy (maybe a second type of heavy such as scale mail?)

Sara Dreygon and Cryodacry like this.
  11. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Scale would be very cool ... I am sure they could make room for such an addition !

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  12. agra

agra Avatar

Seems like a good place to pose this question..

Can anyone explain the numbers I'm seeing here? Why are plate, mail, leather and crafted cloth all the same and/or worse than the cloth I'm wearing? Does the values shown on the equipment change, player to player, depending on skills, or something?

And no, I'm not referring to the Armor Set Bonus. :)
    EDIT: Image broken.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Kvow likes this.
  13. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

A Special noteworthy point is that they are all "royal founders" Now this is debatable if wearing a cloth chest that is crafted with +9stats is better than the 30% absorption you gain from the founders. Crafted and vendor bought plate on other hand have 85 % absorption .... which blows founders out of the water.

14. agra

agra Avatar

Founder's cloth is 60%. Epic Plate chest is 85%. 25% more absorption? ( not sure if that's worth it or not, depends on what it's absorbing)
    Damage avoidance on Founder's cloth is 2. It's 4 on epic plate chest. Ok? again, no idea what that number means.
    4 to 9 on resistance. So five less damage on that piece? maybe 20 less damage overall?

That's it? Really? So it's either cloth or epic plate?

Cause epic leather is worse than founder's cloth.
    I expected there to be more than two choices for armor... o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.