Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please bring back the leather helms like what the guards wear

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Raven Swiftbow, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

There are several of us who used to wear the leather helms. But now, they look like 1950's swim caps and there are several of us chicks in ODE that wouldn't be caught dead in one!

So please bring back the look that they had before.

And while we're at it....

We used to have really nice cloth helms - I think Ravicus might have a good screenshot of one, if I recall (I think he was using it for a sig for a time). [Edit! I see that it is Razimus, not Ravicus, who still has the image of what the cloth hood used to look like. Keep that image, lol! I would like to see those cloth hoods put back in!!]

But now, they, too, look like 1950's swim caps. I think they are supposed to look like 'arming caps' but they really looked soooo much better before when they had a bit of a "hood" look to them!

So please consider bringing back the 'hood' look on the cloth helms as well.

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

Yes, if you look at them in the recipe book the leather helm still looks like it used to look. I loved that helm. Now its just so ugly and depressing.

Chatele and FrostII like this.
  3. Kendaric

Kendaric Avatar

Why not have both versions? For cloth as well, we definitely need more variety in headgear.

Chatele and FrostII like this.
  4. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

+1

I noticed a lot of players running around wearing these plain white caps last night and figured it was just something bugged. I am all for some influence from the real medieval period but a line should be drawn when it goes from practical to unappealing to down right silly looking. It is still a fantasy game, not Renn Fest Simulator 2000. It's totally okay to have original, awesome looking gear that is practical, good-looking and completely fantasy based. I personally think that the guards outfits are strange and underwhelming as well and hope they are just placeholders.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tattered cloth hood from Dark Souls II:
    [​IMG]

This says guard to me:
    [​IMG]

Or this...
    [​IMG]

Whoa sorry those images were unintentionally huge. :D

Leostemplar, Vermine and Razimus like this.
  5. agra

agra Avatar

IMHO:
    Every armor slot should have a visibility option.

As a bonus, there could also be an interface whereby you could drop armor just for appearance, and optionally show that instead of what's underneath. Appearance-only gear could also be sold in the cash shop, in addition to being crafted and found in the world.

Games that have both of these features (appearance slots, and visibility options) and PvP, have been around for years, and very successful.

Soulicide and Kendaric like this.
  6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

see here

7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Sooo......... what you're sayin' is that - THIS:

[​IMG]

Is butt-ugly? :eek:

I would agree, M' Lady........... ;)

I had to check to see if anyone was in the area before I even wore that thing for the pic !
    Seriously, who am I, Esther Williams the wolf fighter....

8. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I like the idea of hiding helmet for RP purposes. But I understand the PvPers consider it an unfair advantage. -shrug- I usually just leave mine off unless I'm out adventuring anyway.

I was reminded of this...

[​IMG]

FrostII likes this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

There are, no doubt, a plethora of leather and cloth headpieces that would be infinitely more appealing than what we are currently unfortunate enough to have to wear.

We most humbly request that you give us one.... ;)

Or two or more, if you wish......

But, one - for now - would be sufficient to appease this ever growing angry mob of shower cap wearers.... :eek:

10. Musaab Osman

Musaab Osman Avatar

Totally against this. I should always be able to see whatever you have on. Maybe make it clientside only. You can hide it so you don't see it, but all other players will see what you have on.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Can we take the hiding/not-hiding hijaak to it's own thread, please?

The OP is asking for a change in the current (fugly) graphic interpretation of these particular pieces of headwear, not their status as visible or not. :confused:

Thank you for understanding.... And I hope you work the visibility thing out in that other thread.

12. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

And berets, while we're on the subject of headwear.

<- like this yellow one I'm wearing as I run across the desert

13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

[​IMG]
    Love the concept, but they're probably gonna' need a bigger pic.... :rolleyes:

Just sayin.... ;)

14. Raven Swiftbow

I think we already have a perfectly acceptable form of the leather helm in the game - every guard wears one and it is historically accurate. I *do* presume that the "white cap" thing is a bug, but I would like to see a return of the guard style leather helms.

Leostemplar likes this.
  15. agra

agra Avatar

I'm glad to see Portalarium is taking the path of wisdom.

16. Raven Swiftbow

OT - I agree with FrostII. If you want to talk about whether or not helmets should be hidden, start another thread - don't hijack this one, please. Thank you.

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Um. I like the leather caps. Has nothing to do with swimsuits, its a type of coif, people in the Middle Ages wore them. Shape isn't perfect, but its okay. I'd rather wear it than a helmet. I hope they aren't removed just because some people are jumping up and down calling them fugly. Ask for a second piece of headgear rather than for them to be changed.

Yes, the white part is a bug.

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  18. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Yeah, they were red (way cooler color...;)) before the last patch o_O Still prefer the option of a regular helmet, though :D

FrostII likes this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I specifically chose not to wear the helmet, since I didn't like it, but I like wearing the cap. (Of course waiting for the texture bug to be fixed). I hope they add rather than subtract.

20. Raven Swiftbow

The coifs they usually wore were made of linen and were designed to be worn underneath a helmet. I have always heard them called arming caps rather than coifs, but you could call it a coif. In rl, the helmets are hot enough as it is - so it is certainly understandable why a linen arming cap is/was worn beneath them - you have to have something to absorb some of that sweat!

The other coifs that are historically accurate (and called coifs more often) are chainmail coifs - which were also worn over a linen/padded cloth cap. And we have those in game, but they, too, fit too tightly to the head to be realistic.

The leather spangenhelms that the guards are wearing are also historically accurate and at least look like they are fitting on top of the hair rather than the hair being removed and the leather glued to the bald head.

If we can have both and give them different names, then great.

One of the issues currently is that, quite frankly, the female hair options are limited and are only made worse by many of the headgear options. The reason that the female players [that I know] prefer the style of helmet that the guards are wearing is that it at least gives a *little* bit of something on the head for someone who wishes to wear leather armor that does not give their head the shape of a bald dude. [No offense to the bald or shaved head dudes out there - looks at one of her favorite Devs. ;) ] But it is not a look that most females wish to have. Sure, going into battle, the hair would likely be tied up and hidden, despite all those lovely images of Norse fighters you see with their braids flying - but at least the spangenhelm look is better than the swimcap look.

Now, with the foregoing being said, I do understand that some of the challenges are simply graphical ones - Unity is good for building beautiful naked bodies or bodies covered with tight clothes, but as we've seen with the cloaks and some armor, it's hard to make things worn *over* the body look like it's not really made out of spandex. So I know that not everything is possible in Unity V.

But we *do* have the guard helms and we *did* have the cloth hoods (like what Razimus' image looks like) [images below] - I am just asking that they let a leather helm look like they did before and let a cloth hood look like they did before.
    [​IMG]
    Razimus, I hope you will not mind my popping your image in here - I looked for another good image of the cloth hoods we used to have, but could not find one:
    [​IMG]

Leostemplar and Lockeydragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.