Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why Do We Keeping Getting Freezes On Exp Gain and Skill Gains??

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Whiskiz, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

Assuming this is not a bug, because if so its a pretty big bug which i highly doubt because it has certain patterns and only happens after you have done alot of grinding in paticular, so this can only be a hidden penalty(s) of some sort.......

So basically what's up with the hidden penalty we are receiving? Could you please tell us what it is? Is it from being in the same zone too long even going back and forth from it, or grinding on the same enemy types too long? does it last for a set period of time before we can go back or does it reset upon going somewhere else or another type of enemy for a set amount of time?

Is the penalty a daily or weekly exp/skill train cap?

Everyone, almost literally everyone is having issues where they stop getting both level gains and skill gains, completely, off and on and sometimes more often than not and alot of people have left because of it or are becoming frustrated.

So i personally think, the thought process behind this is to A - stop AFK/Macro grinding and B - increase the longevity of the game without just increasing the base grind to slow down hardcore players/grinders like myself, since the more casual players will suffer.

Which while i disagree with it, because with A other players that grind the proper way with the same amount of time spent in zones/on enemies are also getting penalized by the system and B everyone is getting hit hard by penalties making many hours of wasted time grinding and increasing the longevity of a game by restricting progress of a player no matter how much time and hard work they put into it, which will guaranteed kill the game quicker than grinding to the end of it, it is at the end of the day Portalariums call on design decisions like this, but...

Can you guys at least tell us what the penalty(s) is? Please, dont go and make a penalty system and then go hide everything, hide exp gained off enemies hide our progress towards our next level and hide the penalty we are so obviously getting. If you want to penalize us, for doing something you don't intend, then ***tell us or show us*** what that is ***so we don't do it and dont waste our time*** don't waste hours and hours grinding, please.

Hiding everything speaks of bad game design (for the players) guilt and generally looks shady as well as wasting everyones time needlessly. Is all that at the end of the day worth making the grind that much longer? Will the somewhat increased longevity of the game from exp/skill gain penalties be worth cornering yourself more into an already niche market? Where your survival already depends on nostalgia of U/UO? Where other players with higher general expectations (especially with the game being fully instanced, simple graphics etc) will leave either at the drop of the hat when they stop getting any form of character progression, or when they get sick of it enough, eventually, when they do get progression then they dont then they do then they dont?

So again, could you guys please tell us what this penalty is? And bring back the numbers and not let us waste any more hours of game time?

Would be, greatly, appreciated. Thanks for your time.....

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Daxxe Diggler, Tyde and whitewitch like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Not much of an explanation there to look at?

What skills? What Levels? Are you using Auto Attack?

I see you state that you are out fighting so not just bashing a Gust Ball.

So I will say this again- how many skills do you have turned to raise? If a lot are set to raise and you gain some levels they will ALL get used up fast (VERY FAST). and then it will appear that you are stalled while you wait for more points into your pool.

If you only have 1 or 2 skills set to raise they will gain but at a slower more steady pace and therefore appear to gain constantly as you are adding more to the pool before U use it up.

If you are trying to gain everything at once then I am sorry but it is an illusion and you can fix it by being strategic in your skill choices.

If not and you are only trying to gain a few I am sorry and then yes something might be wrong :-(

leilakin and FrostII like this.
  3. AlundraUO

AlundraUO Avatar

I'm having the same issue.

4. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

Thanks man for the help but its not any of that, i understand how it works and have done alot of testing.

The more you set to train the less you get, some train by skill usage some dont some with paticular skills same with auto attacks, lvl 70-80+ it really slows down, stats cost way more, passives take much longer too etc etc but its not any of that.

It started when i was out levelling over a weekend, not AFK, nor macroing, the good old fashioned way but in the same zone on the same enemies which makes me wonder if that matters.

5 adventure lvls or so i gained no problem, i used approx 1700-2000 arrows each level, a form of measurement i used since they have now decided to hide our level progress. Next level, i randomly used 4000+ and still did not level up, i went to another area and within 30min i levelled, maybe instantly though because i wasnt watching my character sheet the entire time.

Recently ive started deciding to watch my skills now as well and sometimes they literally dont gain at all, not many set to train and using the things that usually trains them etc.

There is some sort of hidden penalty system and i believe its why they now hide how much exp we get from killing things and the progress to our next level.

I believe, they are capping us for reasons mentioned above but they dont want us to know or whatever the penalty is, so they have hidden all the necessary information, all the basic information that they have now decided not to show us anymore...

Coincidence?

I dont mean to sound so accusing or so conspiratorial but when you not only have to grind for hours to progress, while they are still doing wipes, but the fact you can potentially waste many more hours on top cause the devs want to "increase the longevity of the game" and slow down the hardcore players and design the game around AFK grinders and macroers even though it also affects the rest of the population and then to top it off they have hidden all necessary information to be able to confirm or deny it, it has gotten me really annoyed.

I kind of feel like they are pushing me and players like me out, pushing me more towards Albion Online every day even though closed beta isnt out until november some time.

Many, many people are having this issue.

People wont put up with it for long at higher levels, guaranteed.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Tyde likes this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Um I have to ask was you weapon breaking therefore doing les damage? What Adv Level Are you at? I understand what you are saying I am just almost positive that there is nothing like oyu are looking for (a hidden cap) and that it is some players missing one thing or another.

5 levels in Adv did not all take the same number of arrows or in correlation the same numbers of kills. the defiantly increase each level and as you get higher and higher up it will seem exponential. Again I have to ask how many skills as you set to raise.

And this is not directed at you but anyone else who might not understand;

This is a very simplified example of level - exp points - skills - and gaining

So lets say each Adv level you get 10 exp points

Now you have 10 skills you want to raise and each take 10 points to go from one tier to the next. When you gain a level you get 10 points, if all skills are set to gain they each use up one point almost instantly. Therefore it would take 10 levels to raise the 10 skills One tier. This would make it appear that you are gaining in spurts as you are only seeing gains as soon as you gain an Exp Level.

Now if you have only 2 skills set to raise you will get 1 Tier right off the bat, and soon thereafter more until you have used up 5 points in each and reached tier 5 in each of those skills. If you also gained another Adv level in that time you now have another 10 points into your pool and can continually gain.

Now of course Adv levels take more and more each level to gain AND tiers take more each time also. So once you are Tier 10 in a skill it will now take 15 to get to tier 11 not just 10.

So in the end you gains will also appear to "Slow" down and as it is harder to Gain Adv levels and the points you gains are needed in greater numbers in each tier you will HAVE to plan which skills you raise and which you have set to not gain.

leilakin likes this.
  6. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

Since the necessary information is hidden, could a moderator inform a dev to be able to comment and clarify on this problem so many people are having?

It would go a long way, clearing this up.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    Tyde likes this.
  7. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

I have had same issues and witnessed 3 differend times this happening newcomers. And I know people who have noticed same issues...

8. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

I noticed this issue as well. Due to there being no current way to see how much XP is in the pool for leveling skills, I constantly monitor my ADV level. When I go up an ADV level I can be sure there will be points in the pool to spend. Anways, to the problem I encountered: I recently leveled from 56adv to 57adv in just over 1 hr by belting on Wolves, however from 57adv to 58adv took me 2 days with a combined total of around 8 hrs of belting wolves. I was just about to give it up as a bad joke when it finally turned 58. Needless to say, I won't be grinding anymore this release.

Tyde likes this.
  9. Majestic

Majestic Avatar

I too have experienced this where I was bashing on Obsidian and Elder wolves for a few hours and had no gains. I even monitored all my skill bars and they were simply not increasing at all, nor was my adventurer level (was 37 at the time). I also tried a few other zones/mobs and still had no skill increases.

After logging off for a day and coming back on, I decided to do some crafting instead and got some gains, went back out to kill some more mobs and was instantly getting skill gains on my combat skills. The amount of gains was quite substantial as well so it seemed like the XP I earned the day before was in fact pooled but not being applied? I also gained a fair few adventurer levels quite quickly as well going from 37 to 41 in less time than I spent killing wolves the previous day.

Anyway it was quite frustrating that for a solid gaming period I had 0 gains and no clear reasoning why. Would be great to get a dev response to this.

10. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I'm not sure you do understand what he is saying. This is nothing to do with players' lack of understanding of the system. We are all well aware of how it works. I was killing crap with Whiskiz the other night and some people were getting skill gains while others weren't. Others meaning experienced players that know how their skills and exp work. It is either a bug that's happening under specific conditions or maybe they're testing something that broke the pools for certain things. I dunno. Hopefully a dev can chime in on this and at least let us know what's up. If they are trying out a skill cap..it would be nice to know.

In the mean time, maybe those who were having the issue should post their weapon of choice, build, adv level, primary skill levels and perhaps we'll find a common denominator? Already ruled out patch version since Monkey was on 327.

Tyde, monkeysmack and Woftam like this.
  11. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I don't think there is a XP gain cap nor a skill cap per day. As far as I know they didn't changed anything on XP gaining for the new skill system. I only asked for crafting XP but why should they touch adv XP and not crafting.
    Regarding skills gain, there are many skills buggy. I noticed it with one, that didn't leveled if you have nothing in target and even when I had it, it sometimes doesn't and that on low level.
    I know that there is a double XP for each day and I guess still till you reach the old level. So that can also explain, why you stopped leveling faster.

@Chris
    This is why there is a need to show us our XP gain at least during alpha, so we can figure out if there is a bug or if there is something intented and don't start any rumors. We don't need the numbers of the chat if we get back the ui bar without the mouseover number if you want to hide the single numbers.

12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I do understand and I have explained how / why , I am sorry you cannot see it in the numbers :-(

You do all also remember there was some kind of boost supposed to be there but another no explanation.

And I will stand by my guns saying there IS NO HIDDEN CAP, there is something the PLAYER is not saying / understanding.

You all keep telling me you see gains then no gains which is exactly what I showed you. Nothing has been Broke like you think and NOT some crazy hidden skill cap. You all cannot explain what is happening and I have, sorry you don't like it.

I might "MIGHT" by off on that they implemented some kind of diminishing returns - i.e. you have been in Deep Ravenswood for hours and now cannot gain anymore? POSSIBLY but again doubt it.

Also going to need to show how many skills you have set to raise and what level they are.

Come out explore with me and ill prove it to you.

"Grumpie Weinie"

13. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Hmm...I think it definitely has to do with the number of skills you are leveling o_O I know that I have many (i.e., several dozen) skills active right now (but actually fewer than I did last release :oops:) and skill advancement has been painfully slow. I am currently at adventurer level 41 (was at adventurer level 62 at this point last release..:rolleyes:) and roughly 75% of my skills are still in the 20's and 30's, 20% are in the 40's and 50's and about 5% are in the 60's and 70's. I am also noticeably much weaker than I was at this adventurer level last release, as I still can't survive in either South or Deep Ravenswood because I am getting mauled to death by packs of large timber, Elder, and Obsidian wolves :eek: (At this level last release, I could easily handle a mixed mob of four or five of them. Now facing more than one wolf results in certain death :()

Clearly, with the use-based skill system, you are forced to concentrate on a much smaller set of skills if you want to see significant skill advancement :( As I have learned the hard way, a hybrid build (in this case, archer/mage) results in a very long and slow path to skill advancement :confused: (Of course, it does not help that we have no idea as to what is in our xp pool. I don't even need to see the numbers - a bar would be sufficient :))

Very frustrating, to say the least :mad:

leilakin likes this.
  14. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Same thing happened to me . I was leveling and skill gains were not coming through. So I did some crafting and skill gains were flowing. Skill gains stopped. So I went out to level and bam skill gains.

So yes if you grind to much combat your skill gains will stop. Try some crafting and let the combat rest up.

margaritte likes this.
  15. Duke William of Serenite

Try crafting when skill gains stop and go back to it. When you do go back to combat skill gains they will start flowing again

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  16. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Hmm...I wonder why that happens :confused: I am not much of a crafter, though (i.e., usually gather raw materials for others to craft) :oops:

17. agra

agra Avatar

Wow.

Bug or working as intended? (please say Bug, please say Bug)

18. Duke William of Serenite

Grab a stack of wood and just turn it into boards for about 20-30 minutes.

19. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Devs, WE WANT ANSWERS! Thanks! :)

p.s. If not, can we at least have a visual indicator of how much xp is entering this hidden pool that our skills use? maybe an indicator when, where and how much our xp is affected/used?

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  20. AlundraUO

AlundraUO Avatar

I found as Duke Williams and others have pointed out that if you are stuck on a particular skill, go and do something in another unrelated skill. I noticed that I would gain well in magic skills and after a few gains it would stop so I decided to go out and fight for awhile and after a few gains in those skills I would switch back to magery and start gaining again. I hope this helps players that are getting frustrated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.