Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why Do We Keeping Getting Freezes On Exp Gain and Skill Gains??

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Whiskiz, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Worth a try, I guess o_O Switching between my archer and mage decks every couple of hours (instead of just using my hybrid archer/mage deck) has not improved the speed of skill advancement :( Six hours (!) this past weekend to raise a particular skill by a single point :eek: seems pretty ridiculous o_O

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

So I guess its pretty obvious that a hidden mechanic was put in place for that guy that want to sit and wack at a gust ball AFK.

I think this is good. No one should be able to AFK and be stronger than the guy who is leveling and crafting and actually playing the game.

Solazur likes this.
  3. AlundraUO

AlundraUO Avatar

Trust me, it doesn't really make sense to me either but this is the only way I've found to gain some of my skills. For example, I was using the death spell tap soul and I couldn't get it to budge from lvl 2 to lvl 3. I kept watching the skill bar to see if I would gain. I gave up and decided to hunt some wolves and I gained a few levels in blades. After, I tried tap soul again and gained again but only for a certain amount of time (I'm currently stuck a little past lvl 3). So, I'm just going to go back and forth between the fighting skills and magery.

4. AlundraUO

AlundraUO Avatar

It's interesting that you mention the gust ball. I saw one in town a couple days ago and decided to attack it. My fighting skills were flying up and than all the sudden the server went down. When I got back is when I started to notice the change in skill gain. It seems like what you're suggesting is true.

5. Duke William of Serenite

Well if I recall correctly for me to get from 95-100 mastery in the old UO it took me like 10 times longer than it took to get from 1-95. So if you are at that 95-100 stretcth it could take a week or two.

6. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

This switching between fighting and crafting is worth a try. I've been getting "stuck" too, seeing smooth leveling for a time and then nothing for a day or so, even though my play has not changed. Hopefully a dev will pop in and explain what we players who are not macroing but are trying to legitimately use the system should be doing to keep that smooth flow.

7. Gabriel Nightshadow

Hmm...wish Chris would give us some idea about what is going on behind the scenes with regard to the math involved :rolleyes: It is obviously not as straightforward as it appears...:confused:

AlundraUO likes this.
  8. Gabriel Nightshadow

Umm..as I noted above, most of my skills are still in the 20's - 40's o_O I only have a handful which are in the 50's and above (i.e., mostly archery and healing) :( I expect the ones in the 50s and above to advance much more slowly, but it should NOT be taking so long for the much lower ones to advance...:confused:

9. Duke William of Serenite

I switch between sword and board and my archery is still stuck at 11.

10. Stealthy

Stealthy Avatar

Here is what is happening to me. After a few levels gained in a certain area I stop gaining adventure levels. Now the devs say that adventure levels wont make a difference but now they do because you gain 5 health and 5 focus per adventure level gained. So for now I am trying to gain as high as I can. But I am noticing that after grinding in a certain area for more then a day I will stop getting level gains. Once I move to a different area I can gain my levels. Example I have been in Crag Foothills 2 days 0 adv level gains. I moved over to deep ravens wood and within minutes I for a level gain.

11. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Seems like all skills require the same high frequency of use to gain. Its ok with an active combat glyph but when it comes to a buff you use only once per 60 seconds instead of an attack you use 6 times per 60 seconds it seems like "support skills" take forever to level. Like 6 times longer ;)

12. Gabriel Nightshadow

Of course, the difficult part is trying to find another area where you can survive (and has creatures which yield substantial xp) o_O

13. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

Its time for them to tell us about it, one way or the other.

Surely they wont pretend this thread doesnt exist and how much we are wanting a response and needing clarification when this problem is so obvious, so extreme and so many are having troubles with it, whether they wanted to keep it hidden from us until now or not.

People including myself have tried things like switching up zones, switching up enemy types, combat then crafting then combat or one set of skills then another, and some have found some form of success while others havent, since the results are so variable its obviously that something else has affected it during these ideas.

Even if some of those ideas do work to some degree, do you really want a game that dictates the way you are going to play? Letting you enjoy some combat then deciding you have done enough combat and that you need to take a break, to maybe craft or do something else before being allowed to go back to combat, when the system deems enough time or other hidden criteria has passed?

Or that your only allowed to work on sets of skills for a set time, that your not allowed to level any more in this set of skills but itll let you train in others? Too bad if you dont want or like to use too many skills from different sets for your build.

Etc.

This is not a good system, especially until we know exactly what the system even is to know what we can and cannot do.

Must finally add, i cant say ive ever seen design decisions like this before, ever. Being so vague about all information let alone core information like what "attack skill" does, etc and hiding so much of the core numbers even down to how much exp you gain from killing things or your progress towards your next level. Never, ever, seen these design decisions before and it turns out for good reason.

How did they even think of design decisions like hiding how much exp you get from killing things or your progress to your next level? /facedesk.

Inb4 hiding of our life-bar and inventory and character equipment sheet.

I lied, one more thing to say haha: its funny if this system was made in part to attack AFK/macro because honestly its made me start doing just that, i sat here AFK in graymark forest with my pet out to kill elves while making this thread and just now realized the irony of it so i thought i should share being in line with this thread....

This system has made me AFK/macro because i feel like i have been cheated out of so much hard earned exp that i want to try make some of it back, cheating the system that cheats me. But more importantly, i have no idea whatsoever without wasting at least an hour, whether i am currently being hit by this hidden penalty or not when i go to level, so why not just go AFK grind either way and not potentially waste my time to be safe? Why even bother anymore at higher levels when it wont work half the time?

Some extra food for thought..

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Tyde, Jackrabbit and Fister Magee like this.
  14. Gabriel Nightshadow

While I understand the Devs desire NOT to clutter the screen with a whole lot of numbers, Whiskiz does bring up a valid point o_O As far as we can tell, there does not appear to be any rhyme or reason as to what approach "works" with regard to skill advancement :( Kind of like being blindfolded and throwing darts at a dartboard :confused: If you are really lucky, you will hit the bullseye :rolleyes:

margaritte likes this.
  15. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

I dont think that had any impact on the decision to hide numbers, as they could have easily made a toggle in the options menu for those to be able to leave the information on if they wanted to, or for those that wished to hide the numbers that they could do so.

Not to mention that at the end of the day the only numbers on the UI itself was the slim progress bar towards next adventurer level, at the bottom of the screen, enemy exp was a togglable option that showed in the chat tabs if desired and everything else was in a menu of some sort (skill tree menu etc)

16. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Sorry, I think your "out there"... What I think your describing is the "use base" system and it's diminishing returns.... Besides you're pretty insulting when you assume it's a "penalty" to you, and the Dev's are "hiding" things from you, and that players are "leaving" because of it...

There is NO exp in a "use base" system, you need to "use" the skill... As far as "attack" skill, that is not an actual "skill", but a computation from several skills (I have not a clue, I didn't write the formula), such as Weapon skill, Str, Dex, Speed (what else goes into an attack?), the higher these skills are, the higher your attack skill goes (it's just an indicator)... Had you been watching the Postmortem for r21, you would know that each skill has a max # of 150, but coupled to skill "decay" you won't be able to maintain it for long, and that it is balanced for 100...

I can use Mining as an example, it moves the slowest... Since an area has few nodes to mine, and my "time" to mine skill is at zero, it takes a long time to "use' a node once, a "fail" counts as 1 use... But mining has 3 tiers, so until I raise each tier by 1, my % chance doesn't change... When I have raised each tier by 1, my % chance increases by 1%... Since there is a limited # of nodes to mine, each go around has limited gains... As I go around a cave mining, I can diminish the nodes faster than they spawn, so my gains are slowed, unless I do something else (like go to another mine to mine)... Simple walking to the next area causes the nodes to all respawn at the old area, so by the time I get back, it's all fresh...

That's just an example of how it works, when you fight, you're using many more skills, many more time per minute, plus there are more tiers in the trees, so it will take longer to cycle through them all, and I'm sure what your seeing is the blanks between "uses" as you go up... With any "use" system, there will be a point in gains where "fails" no longer count, and as you go up, each tier gets harder (probably every 10 points)... under 10 it only takes 10 uses, over 10 it take 20 uses, over 20 it takes 30 uses, there's blank between 20 and 30 because the uses now take 50 uses, etc...

If you really expect an answer from the Dev's, don't be so insulting... This is a really good system, try "learning" it, and stop trying to get to the top instantly...

17. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

Dont mean to sound arrogant (or whatever) but i stopped reading here. You are misinformed. The current combat system is a hybrid using both the old system and the use based system.

Currently you go out and kill things to earn exp and still gain adventurer level the same as before, the exp then goes into a hidden pool (using the devs own words) that is then used to train skills from using them or indirectly by using other skills that affect them.

Rofl, the irony is real aha.. (Also, best quotation mark use NA haha)

18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Where did you see this? I would really like to know...

The only "pool" I'm aware of comes from r20, since they wiped every ones skills, they gave you a pool of points, that will be used up until you reach your last level... I was level 50, now I'm 34, so I have points that are still being used up, out of this pool...

19. Gabriel Nightshadow

If it helps, I've highlighted the particular lines from that section of Chris' original post :

So it is indeed a hybrid system ;) Going forward, you would start with nothing in your hidden xp pool and skills will advance based on some percentage of the xp earned :rolleyes: The question is if it is working as Chris intended :confused:

20. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Had the same experience people reported here. Went to Vertas Pass with a group to fight elves (almost never fight elves). Went in at Adv level 51 and Double Slash skill at 66 with literally one pixel left to level 67. 2 hours later, fighting like crazy, blowing through over 2000g in repair kits and I had achieved exactly nothing. Adv level still 51 and DS skill still one pixel from level 67. No skill gains at all in any skill. Went to Deep Ravenswood to fight wolves for 30 minutes. No skill gains at all. Gave up. I was a little miffed because I could have used that time more productively crafting or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.