Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please bring back the leather helms like what the guards wear

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Raven Swiftbow, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I just want to wear a bandanna .... yea and one with lovely flowers all around it :) also like the hood my avatar sig here has on, sexy yes?

FrostII and Raven Swiftbow like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Raven Swiftbow,

Leather coifs also existed. An arming cap is just a specialized form of coif used under a helmet or chain coif. That's one of the reasons it was usually padded, to protect against the weight of the metal. But a coif is any close fitting cap that covers the front, back, and sides of the head, and sometimes has a collar that wraps around the neck.

Also fits in with the clockpunk/steampunk theme, since if you just add some goggles, it becomes an aviator's cap ;)

But yea, the more options they give us the better.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  3. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I don't mind historically accurate gear. But it's a fantasy game. It all doesn't have to reflect what was worn on Earth in OUR middle ages. To me, 'historically accurate' is a moot point because this game isn't based on any real time or place. I mean, I get what you mean though...that the cap has a practical purpose. It doesn't really serve that purpose at the moment in the game though.

Would love to see them spice things up with original concepts or at least move away from the Anglo-European influence so heavily and borrow from other regions if need be. The Mongolian and Chinese had some really cool leather pieces. The Byzantines had their lamellar armour which we have none of in the game and would be neat. Plate or leather. The Persians had some crazy chain mail. Skyrim sort of gobbled up all the Roman influence with the Imperials I guess.

FrostII likes this.
  4. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Just using what I've been given to work with ;) Trust me, it is a great, personality-defining hat.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

Soulicide and FrostII like this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Lovely - quite the look.... I shall await this with breathless anticipation.... :rolleyes:
    (And I shall practice my swimming strokes in the meantime).....

*** Edit *** Does the salami float ring come with the outfit?
    *crosses fingers*

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  7. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I know what this means. It means they are prepping for plumbing in houses, of course! My Avatar will finally be able to shower all the man-stink off after a long day of adventuring. :D

FrostII likes this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And all your neighbors, friends and loved ones - will be quite happy that fateful day!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  9. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

As a female player I have to say Raven you are so correct. Both Historically and as how I feel as a female player.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea I agree, although everything should feel like it fits in with the game world. So even, if not historically accurate, I think they need to have a good understanding what they're doing and be conscious about it. Some people have suggested basically a mish-mash of cultural elements that I don't think would fit together... the same way that all sorts of different housing looks awful together and I think destroys the feel of the world, though that's another discussion. I think medieval Europe is a good standard to start with and then branch out from there consciously. And, then, if they so choose, they could base another continent in a future ep. more closely on a different type of culture, or base other races on a different type of culture.

Anyway, my point was just in response to the idea that things like leather coifs didn't exist. I wasn't justifying it.. But I think they're a good thing to have in the game regardless. I would imagine bandits, for example, wearing these leather caps rather than sort of the full leather helmets. And tinkers with the caps and goggles.

I didn't realize they got rid of the cloth hoods in the game. Did they? I think that would be a mistake.

11. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

I have an Epic Cloth Helm which looks like a hood (dark blue with gold) and an Epic Leather Helm which looks like the guards helms for sale in my store. I only have two of each at the moment. Selling for 30g (Cloth) 35g (Leather). First come, first serve. Monkeysmack's Armory in WestHollow south west of Owls head, west of Valemark.

Alley Oop likes this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Monkeysmack's Armory has great prices and excellent service. Its also conveniently located nearby a red light district.

13. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

There is a red light district? Why wasn't I informed of this? :D

FrostII likes this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

^^^^^^^^^^ Seriously?

Where is it?
    :cool:

15. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

It's in Westhollow (Hidden vale). We like to keep it on the down low for obvious legal reasons. As soon as there is a pirate town, the red light district will relocate. Yarrr!!

Soulicide likes this.
  16. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Like what the guards wear.... Reminds me of the time I wanted the Silver Serpent Order Shields the guards in LB's castle wielded in UO's beta in 97, I was one of the first players to successfully wield one of them. Then a Chaos shield when the game launched and they gave Blackthorn's guards Chaos shields. We used the 'useless' skill Provocation, newb level 50% on the guards against each other, they had super high HP but not when fighting against each other. Wait for one to die, loot corpse repeat. I walked around Britain w/ the shield, literally the 2nd or 3rd player to do so and I told peeps I knew LB personally it was hilarious they bought it. Then not long later they made virtue guards, I was the 1st Virtue Guard on Great Lakes due to a bug. I died as a Great Lord, and didn't play UO for about a week. When I logged in, everyone's Karma and Fame had been re-set, apparently someone exploited it or they changed it, oh yeah, they changed Great Lord to Glorious Lord, anyway, when I rez'd, I rez'd as a very high Noble Lord or somethin and took a short time to get back to G Lord and bada bing bada boom. I was the first Virtue Guard on Great Lakes. Which reminds me of the awesome Ankh outfits the guards wore in the pre-alpha of UO. Any Ankh Tunics planned for SotA? Anyway yeah. I saw a swim-cap when I was walkin around, the player seemed to proudly wear his swim-cap as if he was goin' swimmin in the 1940s, so 1940s swimcaps are in style.

All they need to do is make guards killable, problem solved.

Elwyn and monkeysmack like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.