Playable Races?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Benn289, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benn289

Benn289 Avatar

Sorry if this has been asked, but I haven't been able to find this anywhere. Is there a current list of playable races? Will player customization allow for most people to look unique from one another?

Razimus likes this.
  2. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Forest Dweller and Benn289 like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

2nd Question: I believe that's the plan.

Forest Dweller, Arradin and Benn289 like this.
  4. Benn289

Benn289 Avatar

Thanks for the replies guys. They were helpful.

5. Hardin Steele

Hardin Steele Avatar

Sure, they are not in the current lore, but Dwarves can be added, and there are thousands of gamers that will play a Dwarf. Not only play a Dwarf, but strongly prefer Dwarves as characters, including me! I hope they put a stretch goal in for "Dwarves as a Playable Race". I think it might get a boost in funding with that slider moving to the right pretty quickly.

6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I'm gonna role play a white guy.

Greyfox, Chatele, monkeysmack and 3 others like this.
  7. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

So far, it's been customization of faces, and some adjustment in height.
    Body work is much further down the road.

Races other than human don't fit the lore.
    Elves are a stretch goal because there are factions of elves, and that opens the door for player elves to share some goals with humans.
    There aren't any other races that could be player characters without reworking the history of the world.
    If you ignore the story, then I suppose anything could be added.

8. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Yeah as has already been stated there is a playable race list, I'll restate the list anyway;

-------------------------------------------

Playable Race List for SotA:

* Human

-------------------------------------------

I would hope they add Gnome/Dwarf/Automaton/Obsidian/ & other such options, we'll see. They hinted at Elf I think, and I am against that choice personally. As Elf seems to be the #1 choice among all fantasy MMOs ever made, and it's become a bit tiresome but we'll see.

Lord Baldrith and Forest Dweller like this.
  9. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

It's funny, but this is the one MMO I am okay with not having a plethora of races. The story has always been that the Avatar is actually from our Earth in modern times and through the use of moongates ends up in Britannia or..New Britannia. Elf would be doable but they would have to be elves from another realm to fit with the whole Outlander thing. I think that would be cool actually. To have different races popping in from different realms via the moongates...er lunar rifts. Hmm. Maybe I'll RP a human who isn't even from Earth.

10. Forest Dweller

Forest Dweller Avatar

I very much like that idea, Soulicide. I've long been an avid reader of fantasy and science fiction and, when done well, gnomes, dwarves and elves make very interesting characters and storyline. They don't have to be part of the main lore, but the existence of races from other realms would add diversity and intrigue.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  11. AviarAmidar

AviarAmidar Avatar

Due to the lore I'm completely fine with Humans being the only race in the game. That doesn't seem to bother me as much as I thought it would.

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well there is a storyline of course. I know with Ultima Online I did not necessarily stick to the story in roleplaying. I just did what I wanted. I was roleplaying my character as a character type. In those days majoria did not wear shoes, she refused, not sure why, but she was barefoot. The devs have stated that they will make it so we can have shorter avatars so roleplaying a dwarf will be sort of doable or a gnome would be totally up to the person if they wanted to do that. No one should tell someone not to do that. True the story says humans and elves got added in, but that is besides the point if someone is a little person, they are still human;) This is a play the game your way type of game, it is not a dictatorship. There are just restrictions to some things but we have good imaginations. UO definitely showed how creative players can be and so far we have seen a lot of imaginative things happen. ;)
    edited

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  13. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

My problem with other races to play like dwarfs or elfs is the concept of being an avatar.
    You your self get dragged into a nother world and there you be granted great power.

So lore and rollplay wise it makes no sens that we would play a nother race.

Dean478 likes this.
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'd rather they focus on making humans actually look like humans first... including the various ethnicity.

Soulicide likes this.
  15. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Only humans have access to other worlds? Gnomes/Leprechauns/Elves/Trolls/Goblins/Satyrs/Centaurs/Faeries/Unicorns and whatnot are famously claimed to be every day normal creatures from another world.

Only humans have access to Sosaria? Britannia? Serpent Isle? Pagan? Novia? I don't think so. Role play wise it makes no sense. Many would say those creatures were inter-dimensional before humans ever were. Lore wise I'd say the "Rifts" aka "Moongates" would theoretically be a twilight zone doorway for any creature from any world to step on in. Thus clearing the way for any race, species, creature for the dev team to choose on. But most def they need to focus on humans for the first episode.

Forest Dweller and Lord Baldrith like this.
  16. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

If I understand correctly, creatures don't stumble upon lunar rifts and wind up in New Britannia.
    A woman named Arabella reaches out and pulls the Avatars into the world for a purpose.

17. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

The main plot as i understood is you as player get sucked or called into this world from your pc
    so sorry if you dont like my comment :)

18. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I believe the dev-team clarified this during the whole "Elf Stretch Goal" discussion:

During that discussion they stated that it is not your *physical self* that is transferred to New Britannia, rather your consciousness transitions over to inhabit a new body.​

That way, the dev team can explain away how you are able to play any gender/race. :)

Forest Dweller likes this.
  19. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

fine for me but still dont like the idea of other playabel races if i want that i would go for wow

Duke Raas likes this.
  20. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Well if we can get the current characters to adjust size and weight you can create your own dwarf.

I definitely want to be fat with some grey hair. :)

Forest Dweller, majoria70 and Razimus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.