Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Tour guide quests....help me out here

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by 0pi8, Sep 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0pi8

0pi8 Avatar

So somebody please help me understand these tour guide quests.....

The Devs are giving away free collectables to players that are willing to explore the new areas - I get it. So what is the intended adventure of these tours? I see an experienced player, or one like duke violation that has not been wiped, being able to trudge their way though these. But a new player with skills just wiped? I think not...
    Some of these areas are nearly impossible without help or......

Full map of monsters, little to no community to ask for help, and beginning these tours after full wipes..I don't get it. Since I can rarely find somebody in game for help (or at the least willing to help), maybe one of you can help me. Do I need to spend the first 2 weeks rebuilding my character to do the tour guide quests? Do I really need to quest all the same quests yet again before I can make my way into these new areas? What is the key here? Grind in anticipation for yet another wipe to get the rare hat? Serious folks, what is the best way?

OR are these quests really meant for those who have deep pockets that "Wipes" do not apply ? And don't feed me the BS that everybody gets wiped, its not true. If I sent a western union deposit (larger than what I already have) over to the king, my bet is I would be able to finish all of these tour guide quests with a full set of armor, a weapon that can actually do something, and a set of skills that actually work.

This is my third Tour quest I am giving up on, and I will give the steampunk goggles a try as well, but good lord, what do I gotta do to get through these. And If you say I need to build up my char XX level, see you at release because the wipes have done it in for me

2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Speaking for myself, my newly created avatars cannot find most of the tour guides by exploring. For that I need to level up. However, in the past I have been able to get to most of them by myself with level 5 avatars by cheating and referring to videos created by TheMadHermit and/or Envyco Gaming. If you know exactly where to go, you can usually run past mobs and talk with the tour guide before you get killed. In R21 this was possible. None of the areas was too difficult. In some past releases, however, there was a tour guide where I had to make several tries or go with other players. If you need help, feel free to whisper to me in game.

FrostII, Tyde and Duke Raas like this.
  3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The hats also provide an incentive for users to play through that whole process over again, building up their character, retesting the lower progression stages of the game, etc. etc.

Where-as many users would simply simply hold off after a wipe, perhaps for a couple of releases, and the dev-team would not receive the valuable statistics they need to balance new systems.

----

As for *how* one acquires the hat without going through all the effort ?

Yeah, I'll leave that for others to comment. :)

Kara Brae likes this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm sorry you've had trouble. The tour guides are as mentioned incentive to explore and get a rare that is account bound. You never have to not know and there are many people who will happily show you the way. No need to suffer. Just ask, even come here and ask and I bet you'll get tons of people saying, 'come on, let's go'. This is a very friendly community, no one has to be left out. Even if you are a solo mainly type of player, don't miss out because of that ever please. Just call out. I am majoria in the game and I am not the best leader but I am a great follower and never miss out or hesitate to call out for help. If i don't feel I can help I will find you help. I do not have fear and am not too shy or afraid to call out for help. Here is R21 tour guide. Envy and Mad Hermit always do videos of the tour quests.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Wipes are normal for every pre-alpha test, and normal for every beta test, I've alpha/beta tested online games since 1996, 19 years and this is standard industry wide.

It is difficult to finish some of the Grand Tours to get the cool release hats. What I normally do is I wait 1 week, go to Youtube, type in the name of the hat and bada bing bada boom there are a handful of helpful Youtubers that provide walkthroughs. If you don't have the latest hat, there's still time. Search the name of the hat I bet there are at least 2 videos detailing how to do it. I did it with a wiped newbie character level 5, so I know anyone can do it too.

FrostII likes this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I and most of my guild mates will HAPPILY help you and others out, just look for me "Grumpie Weinie" in game and I will help you out as best I can.

Enjoy, and don't get to worked up.

FrostII likes this.
  7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I've gotten every hat on 3 accounts, and have only bothered to level up once. Just go in knowing that death is meaningless in pre-alpha, and run. All you need to do is get close enough to double-click them without dying. As noted, Envy and/or The Mad Hermit will have a video out within 24-48 hours of the release, so finding your way to the guide is pretty easy. It's not all the hard even without their walkthrough.

If you need a hand, there are usually helpful folks in Soltown, Owl's Head, or Solace Bridge that might be able to show you the way. If you do it early, running into others trying to find the guides is a strong possibility as well.

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Opi8
    To repeat what the others have already said.

Feel free to write in chat
    /friend Spoon
    and then use the 'f' key interface to see if I'm online. If so right click the name tag and Whisper. Whisper works globally even if the recipient is in single player.
    I like helping people.

Then about the level. Don't try to kill your way through the scene. Instead run run run. There are few monsters that can stop you or insta kill you.
    If I don't know where it is it usually takes me 5 deaths on a fresh char.
    Just do the first quests in Soltown and put heal on your hotbar.

Then if I tire one can always go to the forums.
    Either search for the quest vids like linked above or simply post in General "in game now need help with grand tour" you will find knights in shining armor popping up everywhere.

FrostII likes this.
  9. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I greatly beg to differ. We are a small community, but pretty tight-knit and the majority of players you run into are willing to help or find someone that can. Making friends and joining an active guild goes a long way too. The intention with the tour quest is to nudge players to explore new areas the devs have rolled out or improved. So...sometimes those areas are not beginner levels places. Most of the places can be zerged anyways. That is, a mad rush to the tour guide while out-running/avoiding enemies. This works if you know where you're going. Youtube search "R21 Tour Guide Quest". EnvyCo Gaming usually puts out very informative videos for this each release. Also, the IRC chat is a handy dandy place to get immediate help. If someone isn't logged into the game, chances are they'd be willing to just to help out.

Edit: Whoops. Majoria was one step ahead of me! And to echo Spoon, feel free to add me (Crease in-game) as well. Chances are if I'm around I'm just lookin' for something to do.

FrostII likes this.
  10. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

FWIW, I don't like this attitude.

Implying that players can buy their way out of wipes, or that the replies found here are not helpful is absolutely bad taste. I hope your change your ways to interact with other persons, at least toning down this self-entitlement a bit.

I did the hat tours without any help, right after wipes, dying much and enjoying new areas even more. And then helped DOZENS of other players, from my guild and elsewhere, earning their hats too.

If you just don't know how to play, why accusing other players of being favored by bribes?

Musaab Osman and Soulicide like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also let us know your ingame name that way we can friend you and watch out for you. Add as any friends as possible by clicking the 'f' key and add friends then you can right click their name to whisper for help anytime you see someone on. Also you can right click another player to friend. Don't hesitate to call out for help as I've mentioned before. Usually you will see the most people on during the first days of a release. As we get closer to launch you may see more people because there will be more to do. There is only so much testing of broken systems some want to do, but it is very important work to do it and provide feedback. I will friend you in game if you tell me who you are please. :)

12. Guppy

Guppy Avatar

The biggest tip I can give, for those without nice armor and weapons, is "Run" don't walk.
    When you see where the Tour Guide is, run as fast you can and talk to the Tour Guide the second before you die (there are usually only a couple of spots where this is even needed.)

Spoon likes this.
  13. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Sorry, here's a video that will show you where each guide is at: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f.../tour-guide-highwayman-hat-walkthrough.36149/ ,this guy posts one every release, it has helped me a lot...

r21 only wiped skills, so as it is, we're all very weak in the beginning, I didn't do the tour quest until I was level 25 (press V) and even then I couldn't handle any of the critters, so I just run up to the guide and dbl click, then die... I play SPO so there's no help for me, but I have all the hats... So, don't dis pear...

14. Kazin_Thalantyr

Kazin_Thalantyr Avatar

Anyone know why I can't see the tour guide for the last area of for the current tour? The Wynton's folly? I get to the nest and there is no tour guide there and the Phoenix just kills me regardless. Anyone know if this is a bug or what? I've done all other areas and found him except this area. any help appreciated. Thanks

15. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The devs moved that guide to a safer location mid-release. Have a look around, they should be somewhere nearby, I believe on the ground-level. :)

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

It's not a bug, it's right at the oracle head thingie when you enter that canyon, so no need to jump up to the phoenix any more.

17. Kazin_Thalantyr

Kazin_Thalantyr Avatar

Cool Thanks for the info guys appreciate it :)

18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

If you ever need help getting a hat, let me know.

19. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I haven't leveled at all for the hat quests. Rocking the suicide run at level 5, every time for the last 10 releases.

Katrina Bekers and Spoon like this.
  20. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

This is great advice!

I might add, make sure you are not in combat mode when you finally reach the tour guide. NPCs, including the tour guide, won't talk to you if you are in combat mode. Several times I have been killed frantically trying to initiate a conversation with the tour guide because I forgot to sheathe my weapon. :confused:

Bowman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.