Immersion Breaking Jack O' Lantern Mask

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I think Portalarium has established with what is present in game that Earth culture has not significantly spread or impacted Novia yet. That is what they've established in lore.

As to whether or not a pumpkin head stretches that, I'm not sure.

If we were going to quibble about any of the new add-on masks breaking immersion, I'd assume it is the headless one. Human anatomy appears to work the same in this universe and it should be safe to assume that you can't remove your head and run around.

Amber Raine and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

ok then what spell for you think they'll put in that'll make just your head invisible?

Every magic system has rules or some kind or other. Even in magic things work a certain way. Even in SotA. SotA magic is believable because it's New Britannia magic IN New Britannia. It's not DND magic.. it's not Harry Potter magic and it's not "just for the hell of it because it looks cool" magic.

There is plenty that IS defined.. spell schools.. spells.. reagents.. Where does any of this fit into that?

Epona likes this.
  3. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I agree concerning the Pumpkin head mask wearing year round. that would bug me too. Whats the point of spending so much time and efford on detail and creating a house and decorating it when you got users going around in January with a punkin mask?

There should be a cap ( Time period ) on the Halloween stuff/Xmas stuff/ Easter stuff etc or Holiday Event..... ( except in ones own home or PoT )..IMHO

Holiday Events stuff: Anything that would not be in the game normally in which does not follows the story or that has natural follow through with the game should have a cap on it in general areas, So if you do not like what a one is doing in ones POT then just leave or do not visit it..

I think this way everyone wins.. Users like the OP get to keep their immersion and have the game as the developers intended and others who wish to have fun with different themes and stuff all year round can do so in their own POTS and or Homes..

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What they've also established is that avatars are not exactly trusted. it does not seem reasonable to me that the masses of Outlanders flaunt their status as such for all New Britannia to see. Now inside player towns might be a different story, but the pumpkin masks too are just a wee big to be believable as something people would choose to wear around.

5. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

So if you block someone in the game or put them on the ignore list you do not see them either in the game?

6. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Yes. I would either leave the game or ignore the portion that I disagreed with. I would not try to dictate my specific play style for everyone else to follow. I want freedom to practice my beliefs, and you to practice your beliefs.

I would hope someone wouldn't leave over something so trivial as a hat. Especially when a flaming horse head didn't create such a stir. Something doesn't make sense. Therefore there is a hidden agenda.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well RG decides things are not going in the game all the time, so you must be offended by him.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There's a hidden agenda by the "immersion police" to what? Exactly?

Epona likes this.
  9. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

and pls dont forget such heads are great for all the theater groups out there.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its a fair discussion, that's all. Players have a right to their views on what should be included as much as Portalarium does. And I suspect there's much debate among the staff, and not everyone on the Port staff fully sees eye-to-eye on these decisions.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The one and only "immersive" use for most of them.

Edward Newgate likes this.
  12. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

While I'm not a fan of the headless mask, I applaud creative uses for such items by the theater groups.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Hey here's a thought.. people can now RP headless' All they need now is a suit of body hair and wooden clubs and they're all set.

14. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Offended is the wrong word. I'm far too thick skinned to get offended by something so trivial. The game is amazing, although I don't agree with every decision or item in the game. If I want everything my way, I'd have to build my own game.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  15. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Well, now that you mention it, I do have a few already in mind... :rolleyes:

Amber Raine and Lord Baldrith like this.
  16. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Yes. Players are entitled to their views, but Portalarium decides.

Spell schools aren't defined. Chris said in the last hangout that he's reworking them to make changes.
    Portalarium makes revisions all the time. Ogres and Trolls, Ankh and Ethical Hedonism symbol. Possibly adding elves as a playable race. Nothing is set in stone.

You can continue to cling rigidly to lore that has changed, but Portalarium will continue to make changes as they see fit.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So.. Chaos, Death, Water, Air etc are all place holders? They're going to wipe all the spells and start over from scratch and do away with reagents completely? I find this revelation a bit unlikely. There's a difference between reivsing the fine points and nothing at all being established. Also, you should know better than anyone the Ogre thing was not intentional, I have no idea what you're talking about with the Ankh & Ethical Hedonism symbols and the whole thing about elves being playable doesn't even apply to the subject of magic.

What lore exactly has changed? Me thinks from your argument that you are thinking of game mechanics.

18. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

However unlikely you think it is, Chris said he was revising the magic schools. Moving spells into different schools and adding more schools. We'll have to wait and see what the result is, but my point is that the magic schools as you know them are subject to change.

And you seem to have missed my point about lore. Ogres were a mistake, but rather than removing them, they changed the lore to explain them. They added the ethical hedonism symbol and changed the lore concerning the ankh. Elves as a playable race was a change in boundries and lore. The point being NOTHING is set in stone. Lore isn't final. Magic isn't final. The role and acceptance of avatars is always changing as they try to balance the MMO sandbox and the RPG story parts of the game. During the hangout, Richard, Starr, and Chris said they were including masks, and liked what masks and hats were adding to the game. They said they intended to mix New Britannia holidays and events with our mundane world holidays and events, as it was a good way to engage the community.

They are creating the world of New Britannia. We get to have input, but we don't have the final word.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

No way I'm reading 11 pages of posts. But:

1) Jack 'o Lantern mask IMO breaks with the "purity" of the game.
    2) However, so do 100 other things. That ship has sailed and will not return.
    3) The mask is fun and will raise money for the game.
    4) I'll be buying one.:)

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hmmm since when are you interested in "purity" Budner? It had to be said lol;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.