Immersion Breaking Jack O' Lantern Mask

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Lets move this to a private message

Ariella and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  2. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

Getting my gumbo pot out and ready to start the cooking.. :p

3. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Nice color!

Arianna and SeleneNoctua like this.
  4. Hammershtein

Hammershtein Avatar

so just to set the UO record strait from the dev logs from i dont know years ago..
    Pumpkin Patch
    Farmers once again could harvest pumpkins this season. Pumpkins could be picked up from most any farm land. Some of them may be double-clicked and thrown as a fire bomb. Additionally, the named pumpkins may be used with the Cooking skill to prepare food items requiring pumpkin. The pumpkins can weigh anywhere from 3-25 stones and very rarely a Jack O' Lantern will spawn.

Jack O' Lanterns
    [​IMG]
    Menacing and Leering, Lit and Unlit
    Very rarely, a named pumpkin spawned as a large Jack O' Lantern with a carved face. They spawned in a variety of designs and can be locked down in a player's home and left lit or unlit.

Named Pumpkins
    Pumpkins are named after devs, GM's and EM's.

As far as them being immersion breaking. So let me see running water, houses, and just about every thing else thats visual in sota is well molded after real life..
    as far as i knew this was a fantasy based game and well it has Magic and other such things.. I am really wondering where you are basing your opinion from?
    On the other hand there is solo mode so i guess you can still eat the cake :)

blaquerogue likes this.
  5. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

Could you wear the Jack-O'-Lanterns on your head in UO?

So I guess anything goes just because SotA is fictional. Bring on modern-day New York and lasers. Maybe Port should add Starbucks aprons in the cash shop too.

I thought that good fictional worlds were internally-consistent, making them more believable and thus enjoyable but I guess I was wrong.

Actually, scratch off Starbucks aprons. I'd like to dress up as Megaman. That'd be awesome.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    Razimus likes this.
  6. Majesticon

Majesticon Avatar

I am trying to role play a pumpkin in single player mode once the game launches. I intend to just sit in a field somewhere and leave the game on. I find the OP offensive

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Crashman !

8. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

That's not nitpicking. That's called getting it right.

If somebody is going to argue that X happened in UO; therefore, fans of UO shouldn't care if X also happened in SotA, then the proponent of the argument should at least make the effort to find out if the comparison is apples to apples and not apples to oranges.

There are a few other reasons why that argument is illogical but I think I've made my point.

Forest Dweller likes this.
  9. Hammershtein

Hammershtein Avatar

so let me see if i understand this right? Its not immersion breaking to have earth things like planets in the sky,houses that you decorate with earth decor music instruments, and so many other things that is earth related.

i dont really know where you got all the rest of your quote from no one said any thing about things that has nothing to do with the time line. For the recored yes its is a fiction and yes that does mean any thing they feel like adding to the game is considered part of it.. sorry you feel the way you do..

as a history lesson even before the mideval times..
    Halloween is a descendent of the Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sah-een) or 'summer's end' in the original Scots Gaelic.

The celebration held on November 1 marked the Celtic New Year when dead souls were believed to walk the earth. 'Soul cakes' were left out for good spirits and lanterns were customarily lit - the modern version of the Halloween pumpkin* - to ward off stray evil spirits that also happened to pierce the thin veil of the underworld during this time of year. So deeply imbedded was the Samhain tradition in the human psyche that it survived for centuries.

In the eighth century, the church finally named November 1 All Hallows Day (or the day of the holy ones) in honor of the saints. However, two centuries later, the Church followed the Samhain festival more closely by naming November 2 All Souls Day in honor of the dead.

Owing to the medieval custom of beginning observances the night before, the collective holiday began on All Hallows Evening, or Halloween.

blaquerogue likes this.
  10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I wonder if the liches in the necropolis like the earth version, and if they will put pumkins on their head. Or I wonder if they have their own unique holidays that we might adapt to instead of just totally running over the indigenous culture and go the way of the native american indians.

Forest Dweller likes this.
  11. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

So if you look at Lord of the Rings there is a ton of earth-like stuff there too. Lord of the Rings is also fictional.

Therefore, we shouldn't be annoyed when a B-52 bomber comes barreling out of the sky and then decimates a hobbit village?

Just because something is fictional doesn't mean anything goes. Just because something has earth-like features doesn't mean every single thing from earth would fit into that fictional world.

12. Hammershtein

Hammershtein Avatar

any ways i think this really is a conversation that is going no where. you feel the way you do and so i guess i have to rp the way you do i get it..

13. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

This reminds of something posted on another forum a few days ago:

Forest Dweller, Womby and Epona like this.
  14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I kinda felt that the pumpkin heads added a bit of a WOW flavor to the game. It made me worry that Panda costumes might be next. Though pretty cool looking, I advocate removing those from the market for that reason.

15. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

So, I think WoW did do some things right. One thing that I think they did wrong was not take their lore/world seriously. In fact they did the complete opposite and made everything into a joke. Pop culture references everywhere. Silly costumes abound. Silly passive pets. Silly mounts. You can get a flaming corgi in WoW for goodness sake, lol.

I'm just hoping SotA doesn't turn into a circus like WoW did.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What is there to be offended by? Someone wanting something that you don't or don't care about is offensive? Please explain.

Majesticon likes this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Or were you being sarcastic? Honestly I couldn't tell what with some of the other things said in the thread..

Majesticon likes this.
  18. Epona

Epona Avatar

I live in LA suburbs and my area looks exactly like the overland map. :D

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well actually the pumpkin head was used in Divinity Original Sins as a helmet that you could craft for protection just starting out. Devs have said we will have holidays and holiday stuff, so brace yourself for Christmas.:);) Which is my favorite of course. I have the Christmas Tree or as called the 'Yule Tree' from last year. I missed Lord Brittishes birthday cake which I totally love, it is gorgeous. Oh well.:)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    blaquerogue, Lord Baldrith and Budner like this.
  20. Epona

Epona Avatar

Well, there you go. ;)

Shhhh!

Theatre is fine. Lots of props and costumes for theatre. I would not find such props being used in theatre as disrupting (non-immersive.)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.