Immersion Breaking Jack O' Lantern Mask

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I find that hard to believe. Do you have images that support that claim?

2. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Wonder if any of the Portalarium staff worked on a game called Dungeon Runners. That game was awesome! I believe it was ran out of a game studio in Austin Texas so there is a possibility someone on that team works for SotA. The game was 1000x better than WoW, there was 1 city that's it. There were a few dungeons, but they were fun. There were bosses etc. But the 1 city was very cool. There was a wishing well, where when you dropped a special well token in you'd get a random rare item. There was a magic shop NPC, a weapon shop NPC, etc. It had some Diablo 2 elements to it, some WoW elements. And was comedic, all NPCs had funny lines they'd say. It was actually a spoof of MMOs, the entire game was comedic in nature. There were no lore rules at all, no lore, everything was fair game. You could occasionally find a super mega weapon like a gun or a plunger duct taped to a sword type crazy Monkey Island type things like that. So If Shroud of the Avatar is going the comedy route I say don't hold back!

3. Epona

Epona Avatar

Do you think I'm lying? I don't have images but when I have time I can get them. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  4. Drocis the Devious

I don't think you're lying. I think that if you objectively look at the overland map and take the most sprawlingly populated area you can find, it will look nothing like LA suburbs.

I just did a quick google image search on "aerial view of los angeles suburbs" looking at about 200 photos and not even if I searched my imagination could I see a reasonable comparison.

So I'm looking forward to your image selection.

Forest Dweller likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

I wasn't trying to drag it out, just respond to someone that directly took the opposite stance. I think you're not alone in your feedback that the overland map looks a bit cluttered, but I do disagree with that feedback. It's one thing to say "this is my personal taste" and "this is how I feel", it's another say "I live in LA and it looks just like that". I think if it did look just like that you'd have a better case to make. But because it doesn't look just like that, I think the sensitivity to the overland map is not that big of a deal and primarily shows a difference in taste.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Just as a point of interest speaking of the map. A couple of us did some calculations while back trying to figure our the relative size of each hex based on the latitude/longitude lines. The low range was in excess of 40+ miles across with the overall map of Novia being in excess of 3,000 square miles. Given that, the town density almost (almost) feels a little sparse to me. Just saying..

Edit: Just looked it up.. more precisely the hex size I got was 40.6 miles across. On Calculating Distance & Travel Times

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  7. Epona

Epona Avatar

I said that "my area" looks like the map. I'm sorry -- I didn't mean to instigate a debate; I actually don't have an opinion about it. I just meant that some areas of L.A. do. :)

blaquerogue likes this.
  8. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I agree with this too.. Like I mentioned In a previous post. It my opinion that items should match the lore of the game..and for seasonal items such as Xmas.Halloween, Easter , etc.. should be restricted to its seasonal time frame in common areas of the game but allowed year round in ( Pots, users own house or lots ).

Which means if a user want to wear a Santa clause suit in mid July then fine if its in his own POT or a POT were the Owner allows it or the users home but as soon as the users leave this areas to be in a common ares then the Santa Suit disappears and the users default suit it put on..

To me this is the best of both world were everyone wins.. The lore is retained and still gives some freedom for users to fool around with different stuff for seasonal material.

9. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Actually it would be cool to fish up body parts and has a scraft for them..in the alchemy it could be Zombie repellant and as such would be make Zombies not attack us ( It would mask our smell and make us smell like zombies so they would not attack us )

Amber Raine likes this.
  10. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

That does not look like any type of Skittles that I have ever seen !

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  11. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I agree with this statement.. Imaging your just about to head into The Ester Mines and before you enter the Shaft you see Santa Claus and Miss Easter Bunny Rabbit coming out in Mid July !!!..
    Like I mentioned before, I will not judge what users do in their own houses/lots or Pots. If I Don't like the theme I just will not enter, I least then I have a choice..

wagram likes this.
  12. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

The overland map is just an illusion of distance, The hex's may give that impression of distance but they all just pull you into about a 1 sq mile boxed in instance.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The literal size of the instances are both varied and irrelevant. I can just as easily say that 1 sq mile is just an illusion and the actual usable space is even less than that. So what?

The line of thinking you suggest has no imagination for the world our characters are supposed to be in. If you insist on thinking for yourself that you're just playing a game mimicking an imaginary world that doesn't exist etc that's fine for you. Knock yourself out. But don't expect others to follow suit. That's no fun for me. I see a map.. it has a coordinate system.. it has rivers and mountain ranges.. the instances we go into only represent a portion of that map.. not its entirety.

14. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Yes immersion breaking. Selling wares for a holiday that does not exist in Novia.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  15. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Everyone, please send me any Easter eggs, bunnies, and any other holiday related items. I will save you from crashing into the 4th wall. Doing my part for immersion. You're welcome.

That is all.

margaritte and SeleneNoctua like this.
  16. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

The masks are stupid.

17. Musaab Osman

Musaab Osman Avatar

Agree with OP

Bowen Bloodgood and Razimus like this.
  18. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Hidden agenda? Prove it...

19. Hammershtein

Hammershtein Avatar

I am still trying to figure out where you guys get the notion there is no holidays in the game? apparently there is or they would not be spending money on building the assets to support it??

the best part is you will see less and less of players you don't want to see just because they are not associated with you. I am so looking forward to dressing the part of the carved out pumpkin head murdering slayer of 100 men.. wish i could drench it in blood ...

Lord Baldrith and majoria70 like this.
  20. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

That flaming horsehead is called a Nightmare. It is a creature deeply rooted in Ultima lore. The fact that there is now a Nightmare costume proves the fact that Novians are familiar with the creature. Being public domain and from Ultima lore, a doubly good thing not only does it build upon the lore of the game it hints at a future steed of steeds.

[​IMG]

I'm sure the Novian holidays will align up perfectly with the earth holidays Hallmark chooses to focus on the most. Which from my microscopic point of view comes off as lazy. Literally all they had to do was make up an in-game All Hallows Eve Novian style holiday and barely change the names of things to avoid this. But names aren't changed, and now we're stuck with modern earth holidays, modern earth culture. I would prefer bizzaro names for every holiday, or if they have to be earth holidays go with medieval or older ancient holidays. But the creative way would be to invent Novian holidays that didn't align with earth holidays at all, be somewhat original, if borrowed from earth holidays the resemblances would be funny or seen as cool, instead it's just boring copy and paste.

Ultra Lazy RPG Wise Earth-Exclusive-Holiday: Easter on earth? Great here's some limited time only Painted Easter Eggs.
    A Lot Less Lazy RPG Friendly Can Be Turned Into Custom In-Game Lore: Esterover in Novia? Great here's some limited time only Dyable Dragon Esterover Eggs.

Many want to be as anti-Ultima, anti-RPG and anti-Roleplay as they can be and they'll be in game talking about the latest iPhone they bought, be in game talking about what they're eating from Chick-Fil-A and they'll be complaining how they're chicken nuggets are so small. They'll mock anyone who attempts to Roleplay, mock anyone who knows anything about In-Game lore. Mock anyone who has actually read Blade of the Avatar. Not realizing that some people play RPG games to get away from modern day talk. "That's what the friends list is for". That's a lazy answer in my opinion, when it comes to such a simple thing as changing "Easter" to some fantasyish bizzaro version like "Esterover". Takes 2 seconds to make the change, I literally spent zero time changing the name yet it's a lot less lazy, so less lazy that in-game unique lore could be built upon the in-game bizzaro version of the earth holiday, which can be totally different, it can be improved, but the exact copy and paste earth holiday names can't be changed into anything other than what they are, a Hallmark card. When I think Ultima, earthly Hallmark cards don't exactly come to mind.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.