Forced duplicate last names and reputation per account.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grave Dragon, Oct 12, 2015.

?

Should Portalarium force last names and Reputation across all characters on an account?

1. No, I want each character responsible for his/her own actions and uniquely identifyable.

2. Yes, A Player's actions specific NPC interaction and all toon last names should be the same.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

The game does track Truth, Love and Courage. How it tracks those is not 100% transparent.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I don't care what they do with single player mode. But the moment there's a multiplayer action the accounts need to be linked.

3. syxs

syxs Avatar

I'm saying I want to play with friends online and I have 2 different groups of friends, I want to play with one group and not have to worry about those choices affecting the choices on my other characters story/progress. Now none of these are PVP issues of being the jerk killing others these are interactions with NPC. That why I said a dev needs to define the reputation system so we know if its only PVP/Other Player interactions then I am fine with it being shared. But its not going to be fun to say to my friends no I didn't take that choice in the game so I'm over here not going where your going in your storyline. That was the reason multiple characters were added as people were worried about playing with friends and getting locked out or stuck cause they were more ahead or behind of the friends.

Sophi likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Right, but it is fairly easy to guess (maybe not correctly) how that system will work based on our interactions with Arabella. I mean, the choices being made to create your characters are not difficult ones. The concepts of what Truth, Love, and Courage are all about are not foreign to us. Where it gets tricky is when you have to choose one over the other. Is the Truth of this situation greater than the Courage of this situation? That's debatable, and part of the fun of the game.

enderandrew likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

That's an interesting point, but one that I would challenge you to think about...

You're really not supposed to be making choices in the game so you can play with your friends. That's not what this game is about. Also, many of the "quest" type situations are going to be solo only, so you're not going to be playing that part with your friends anyway. It's YOUR path, not you and your friends path.

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  6. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, Order vs Chaos has nothing to do with embracing the virtues. Being virtuous or anti-virtuous is completely separate. Order and Chaos are just the means to achieving those.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  7. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Then it's solely an NPC/environment interaction monitor and Pvp nor griefing, nor rude language, nor any other player to player interaction affects this system, which means there isn't a reason to link characters because its NOT a good benchmark for the moral compass of the player.

8. Drocis the Devious

I don't think you're going to have a good virtue score if you're cheating NPC's out of money, stealing their things, killing their children, and making decisions that hurt them. So although I agree it's not a good way to benchmark a person's true moral compass, it's not completely devoid of value either.

And what does it say about a person that will use two separate accounts in an attempt to avoid that judgement? To me it says they are anything but virtuous when they think it doesn't count.

Numa likes this.
  9. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Can we have a third option to have different last names and shared reputation? I honestly don't care about the reputation because I don't intent to be evil with one of my characters and good with the other but I do want different last names more than likely.

Scraps and ship2 like this.
  10. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

That was exactly what I said earlier.

I think your Reputation will be purely your interactions with other players and Virtues are separate. Reputation should go across characters, Virtues should not.

Xandra7 and Grave GodsHammer like this.
  11. syxs

syxs Avatar

So your saying since I started on Love and my friend started on Truth we won't be able to play together till were high enough level to group up if I pick my path? Then what is the point of multiple characters again if we can't pick the same starting point? Enjoying the game is the main reason we play the games.

Yes some quests will be Solo instances but other things aren't and I would like to be able to enjoy playing with someone with a character that is around their "level" then bring my overpowered main to the areas they are in and not enjoy playing the game with them. But I also might decide to play quick with them as in Lie to get into a town or loot people I didn't kill to finish a quest quicker or to see a different way of completing a quest. I can't do this in online mode if it shares with my main and then you have the issue of this causing people to not play online cause they are worried about how it will effect the story for the main and then it doesn't become a game for "fun" anymore.

Again we really need a dev to say what is and isn't shared via Reputation and if Virtues are shared that way people will know instead of people thinking different things.

12. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

You aren't going to get this kind of answer. They've said they're going to keep the details hidden to prevent people from gaming the system.

13. Drocis the Devious

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that your choices matter more than your friendship at the start of the game. You can still travel to where your friend is and meet up and travel together helping each other. Or you can just choose the same path. But you can't ignore the lore and the world you're in just to buddy up.

14. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

It doesn't really say anything IMO other than someone might want to roleplay one character as evil and another as good.

I think your concerns would be better addressed with a paperdoll entry that lists all the characters on the account so the player is identifiable and accountable for their actions by other players. Why would anyone care if someone else has one toon with a good reputation and another with a negative one if the only benchmark is interaction with NPCs?

FrostII and ship2 like this.
  15. syxs

syxs Avatar

Not asking for what is used to generate the scores on the backend asking for what is "shared" via the rep system. Is it the interactions with NPC or just PVP/Player related stuff

16. syxs

syxs Avatar

Except by choosing the same path you are ignoring the lore to buddy up in.

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I vote go back to one character per account. Problem solved.

18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

The virtue system couldn't have success if we play around it. It is and should be a game feature that differentiates this game from others. There should not be any concession on this. All games have their idiocyncrasies and basis. To take that from them and twist and turn them every which way is wrong. This 'is' a game feature, the premise, the heart and soul and it is not debatable. RG is very strong on this point.:)

19. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

The original goal communicated by the Dev Team and RG was that this would be designed as a classic RPG. I cant say that forcing multiple characters on a single account to a specific last name or a universal path/profile meets the criteria of a classic RPG.

One of THE defining characteristics was that each toon was separate and could be roleplayed as a unique individual.

Sophi, FrostII and Lord Baldrith like this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes they can be a 'unique' individual just not a 'unique' individual with a different virtue or different last name.:) Your choices will be yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.