Forced duplicate last names and reputation per account.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grave Dragon, Oct 12, 2015.

?

Should Portalarium force last names and Reputation across all characters on an account?

1. No, I want each character responsible for his/her own actions and uniquely identifyable.

2. Yes, A Player's actions specific NPC interaction and all toon last names should be the same.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

You are absolutely entitled to feel that way.
    But there were 9 other Ultima games that were not UO.
    We shall see if anything changes.

2. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I didn't play most of those, just so I know, did they allow for multiple characters, and if so was it handled the same way as they are planning here?

3. tea2weeds

tea2weeds Avatar

I have played MMORPG's since their creation, and had many, many different characters. I really hate the idea of this shared reputation/surnames on all of my characters. I enjoy having completely different characters, not to hide my actions, but to be able to do something completely different that would be out of context for my main character. One character being a good, honest fighter assisting all in the realm stomp out evil upholding the laws of the land. Another an evil shadow knight, which would gladly kill my other character if they ever met....creating chaos wherever she went.

If a game has different races, I usually tune my role for a character to align with the characteristics of his/her race. While I'm female, I have had male characters....just as many men have female characters. Each of my characters has a unique personality and set of virtues, it enhances the gaming experience, and stretches the imagination to play different roles...think about "what would this character do in this situation".

I do not like the idea of never being able to see the other features of this game because one of my characters chose a certain path. I would like to see all the features of this game through their eyes....

It gets boring playing one role all the time, that's why I like the ROLE in Role Play Game! Please, please consider there are many who truly like to play different roles and want the option to take a break and walk on a different side of the street occasionally.

At least give us an option in our account to choose shared reputations/surnames or not.

thank you,
    Kestryl Copperwing

ship2 likes this.
  4. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack doesn't keep up to date on the various levels of privy tiers there are as much as he should, but wonders what the economics are between

Buying three 45 dollar accounts and getting what you want, or, buying an account tier which has three characters attached to it? It might just be easier to sell down and then you can all, ahem, role play different roles...

Kara Brae, Ronan, Womby and 1 other person like this.
  5. Gix

Gix Avatar

Why is everyone bothered by what OTHER PEOPLE are doing?

If someone wants to have 100 alts and experience every potential facet of the game without any consequences, let them.

Just make the ignore feature account bound. Ignore someone removes them and any alt they might have from your game regardless of any alts you might be playing as.... DONE.

6. ship2

ship2 Avatar

Just to make the point.. *I* don't play like this. I'm hard-wired Chaotic Good and the thought of even RPing evil is repugnant to me, however, I value other players like Kestryl that do. They are a colorful aspect of a MMORPG that no amount of developing funding will ever replace.

I love a quote (paraphrased) from a user from another game... "The scariest monsters are some of the other players." I have a concern of this level of heavy-handed control of the way players play that you end up creating a bland and colorless community that has all of the excitement of a old folks home shuffleboard game. Keep this in perspective.. the greatest value of an MMORPG is the *players* and always will be. The poll results at the top of this thread should send chills of dread into the development team.

7. Sir Frank

Does nobody remember that this game began life as a story-driven RPG, and the game tracking your virtue as you play a key feature?
    The game is Selective Multiplayer. All modes have to be considered, not just the MMO-ish part.

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I do but I seem to get ridiculed for it all the time.

9. syxs

syxs Avatar

Does the game track your virtue in all the single player offline modes? No so why are we limited in online to one set? People who don't care about the virtue/rep system or want to play all the characters the same alignment get bonuses via the character slots but people that do care about the system and want to try different things can't do those in multiplayer.

People saying well just sell your $110 pledge that gives you 1 extra slot then you can buy 2 but you loss out on the other rewards plus having to buy eps 2 and 3 for lets say $10 each so that is then $55 per account so $110 then for eps 1-3 and having less starting stuff so paying more money for less items in game. And that is not even counting higher tiers. Again explain to me why PVPers and other play styles get more out of the game then people who want to experience this unique game system with friends?

We were told this was a "sandbox" MMO but when you limit your players choices via linking rep between "alts" then your not a sandbox. Go back to one character per account or remove it are the only real fixes you could offer otherwise your causing certain play styles to get bonuses that can be exploited and again I welcome any dev to reply because all the issues we have brought up in this thread have not been answered, you fall back on the RG said so and that is not being open to ideas, that is burring your head in the sand and pretending that people don't have a problem. People have fallen into the following camps, it doesn't effect me cause I'm only going to play one character in online, I have no problem with this cause its what RG wants and I have a problem with this why are we doing it lets change it. But a lot of people aren't saying things on the forums. How many people really look or reply on the forums? How many people even understand the issues or problems? I have laid out issues and problems but the devs have kept their heads down hoping this blows over. Again saying RG has spoken is failing to engage your community which you say your about. You could just say you bring up some problems and we will address them and get back with you but you said "Not going to change" then in live stream say "Probably not going to change" but you don't address the issues brought up about the problems pointed out. The community deserves some feedback devs

10. ship2

ship2 Avatar

From the "About Shroud of the Avatar" page, off the main website :

"Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues is a new type of third person fantasy RPG that combines a single player narrative with a sandbox MMO."

Budner and syxs like this.
  11. Sir Frank

That's not correct. The game is supposed to track your virtue in all modes.

12. syxs

syxs Avatar

Your telling me that virtues/rep will be tracked in all offline game modes too? How are you going to track my offline games on my laptop with my offline game on my home PC? So if I start a new offline game it will load my other offline games rep/virtue? That would be stupid and leave no replay value in this game. I know the virtues will be tracked inside of that game but if I load another game it shouldn't have the virtues or rep from the other offline games.

13. ship2

ship2 Avatar

exactly.. not "eliminates". Both sound great to me!

14. Gix

Gix Avatar

If SotA isn't an MMO like some folks say, then how others play with alts and morals shouldn't bother you at all.

15. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

to me that just feels like circumventing the system, in a way. i wouldn't want to have to bypass it. why not give us the freedom of name? forcing someone to pay 45.00 when this should simply be allowed, is not a way to fix something.

hell, give us a way, IN GAME to seperate ourselves.. like we do in real life, getting a legal name change... i'd be happy with having to go through some social type quest to seperate my main toon from my drunkard alter persona.

but when you craft, you skill-up those skills. so they still DO have decay. just sayin. :)

oldmother has a point - combines is the key word - there is ALWAYS give and take in this type situation. some things have to give in order to make room for other things.
    and by that description alone - it isn't exactly a new thing. guildwars2 has a storyline quest series all the way up to maxlevel, but wasn't backed by the storytellers we have here. swtor has a singleplayer storyline for each class, very well written too. both are mmo's. BUT neither have much in the way of sandbox elements. a lot of give is needed for them to bring sandbox into play. each questline needs to be independant of each other for one, for another, there needs to be a way to not do a single quest in the game and continue to play and have things to do..tough nut to crack but i think they're doing a fine job with it.

back to topic:
    i personally will be doing most of my RP on my main. thats the one i plan on 'living in the world' with anyway. the extra slots should be my experimental toons.. i wouldn't mind if my pvp exploits on one toon carry over to faction ties in my main toon, as an example of reputation. but i DO mind them having the same names/surnames/clannames/whatever. why tie me to that narrow worldview?

it is a mmo, it isn't a mmo. its a hybrid - i think reputation should matter, because of accountability, but names shouldn't be forced.

16. Sir Frank

So, obviously the game can't compare your virtues across offline computers. But each offline character will still have its virtue tracked. That's how it progresses the story for you.

Dame Lori likes this.
  17. syxs

syxs Avatar

No because once you get to the GM level you lock all the skills and you won't get skill ups so without the skill ups you don't get skill decay. As has been pointed out before.

18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    guys, when the community was pushing for multiple characters many of us pushed back hard. It was feature creep. Richard only wanted one character and that was to be you playing it. He caved and we got feature creep. Now you guys want to further extend something that was/is so far out of what was initially planned. I don't know how you cannot see that. So I lobby for taking back the "gift" of multiple characters per account because you guys do not like the gift. Lets go back to one char per account and get rid of the problem.

Ronan, Dame Lori, Beno Ledoux and 3 others like this.
  19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

so you'll have two days worth of decay at all times, once locked. locking as far as i can tell doesn't mean it can't decay, it just means it doesn't gain.

20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'd be willing to accept that if you buy me another account. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.