Will quests be repeatable?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

I think a player created quest system is the best solution to having endless quests without repeating quests. Of course this will only work if the system is easy and flexible enough for all players to make unigue and imaginative quests.

2. knoxiTV

knoxiTV Avatar

This is something that always gets touched on when it comes to MMORPGs, and some have created hugely complex systems to implement such features.

But in my own opinion the best way to have player generated content like this is to have a world with enough depth (and exploration or randomly generated content) to allow emergent gameplay to exist between players that is related to the pathways the game sets out as progress for the player. Unfortunately a lot of these emergent situations naturally lead to PvP as this is the only accurate way to reflect the realities of many situations ...a game world were everyone likes each other and gets on, gets boring for a society that thrives on conflict ... ironically it's impossible to argue this point without proving it in the process.

Archaaz likes this.
  3. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

I have always disliked the concept of "dailies" and hope they only exist in SotA if the particular quest is something that makes sense to repeat in the fiction.

Being essentially forced to repeat the same quests over and over in order to grind for rare items is not my idea of fun.

4. Coops07

Coops07 Avatar

/agree

NOT GW2's "pre-determined 'dynamic' quests" - which basically are just a set of linked events. What's that word they used in Spore... Procedural Gameplay. That. ;)

5. Chuzpah Goodfellow

Chuzpah Goodfellow Avatar

I agree, I also dislike having daily quests if it is the exact same quest. I would not mind having a similar quest but I would dislike having to kill x number of monster all the time.

6. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Maybe instead of saving the kid from the wolves we could kidnap the child ourselves. Then some other players will have to hunt the kidnappers down. That sounds like more fun.

7. Malgarth

Malgarth Avatar

I really hope they don't use "quests", I want it to be a sandbox games and I want to set up my own "quests" for example I wake up in the morning and I go to gather wood, when I'm out chopping wood I see a cave which I enter and oh my god it's a crypt filled with undeads, I kill the undeads and find something cool (sword armor jewelry etc.etc.) now that's something that could have been a quest but I wasn't told to go there, I got there on my own and that's 100 times more rewarding than those "go there do that blablabla" so I want very small amount IF ANY of those regulard "go here do that" quests.

Sandbox is the future <3

8. SirBoss

SirBoss Avatar

I love the Daily Quests in WoW they are fun and easy, and have a good reward if you do enough of them. Have a bulletin board with daily quests in each city.

9. Oceania Crest

Oceania Crest Avatar

I personaly hope the keep the quests as dynamic as possible and some "bosses" also "unique".
    I always have the example in mind based on the world where every NPC has its life with work and freetime. So a woodcutter/lumberjack goes to the woods (where else? ;)) to do is work. While he chops the trees it can be that he get attacked by some wolfs. So if a player stops by he can decide to help him, or to let him be killed by the wolfs and loot him. So or similar, I understood quests will happen in SotA.

Some of you may know "Shakes and Fidget". So here is a funny example that also shows very good why repeatable quests make players actions in the world of a MMO meaningless:
    http://www.sewers.dk/HeroesofWoW/?Num=17

10. Seneschal

Seneschal Avatar

Just because a quest is repeatable doesn't mean you have to repeat it. People who like to grind the same quest every day can, and people who don't can do it once and be done with it. Unless the game is badly designed and forces you to repeat a quest, but I can't see that happening here.

As for player created quests, awesome tools for building them are, well, awesome... but not in any way necessary. As anyone who's been in a UO RP guild somewhere like Europa can tell you, you can have player created plots and quests without any special tools at all.

11. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

And there is always going to be that new guy who blew all his stack at the pub. He'll always need a way to get some wench money.

12. Seneschal

Seneschal Avatar

On the getting money front, we really need to divide repeatable quests between:
    1) Economics - UO style make things & sell them; this is good, even if it features a lot of hand-holding for new players: "My shop's is out of oak planks, go chop down some trees and I'll pay you for the word."

2) Same old problem - something you're paid for fixing, even though you fixed it yesterday; this is bad: "Wolves are eating my sheep. Again. Please kill them. Again. I'll give you these magic boots. Again. Yeah, I should probably invest in a fence and shepherd rather than just buying more magic boots. See you tomorrow?"

13. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

The RTX demo showed dialogue describing a quest, but there was no quest log. There was no indication you had to do something other than NPC dialogue which you had to pick up on. That makes it seem like quests will be more organic. If the dungeon is an instance, I can see how maybe they might let you repeat a quest, but at the same time I thought part of the justification for one character per account is to create permanence and consequence to quest decisions.

14. Oceania Crest

Oceania Crest Avatar

I explain it this way: If there is a quest that says: "Bring me the had of the dread Bandit Garriot! And I give you 20 coppercoins (or whatever the currency is)" then it would make no sense if that "Dread Bandit Garriot" can be killed, over and over again, just to "grind" to make easy money. And especially if you know there are hundrets or thousands of people who just do the same. (Just click on the link to the comic, above! ;))
    Because that's exactly a major point why more and more people are bored about MMORPGs. "Questing" needs to get some fresh ideas. People will not get intereszed in this game if they get the feeling they have donr the same things already.
    So why spend money on something they already know and have? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.