I am a Solo Gamer - but i need an MMO to enjoy Solo Play the most

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myrcello, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Hi all.

I think all who play Multiplayer Online Games will have met a player like me.

You see me doing the same Quest as you, or you see me killing the monster you also need to kill.
    You ask me: Hey lets group and kill him. And there is not even a Exp Reason to say no.

And you get a unpleasant response: No! from me.

You may wonder and say: Why is this person even playing a MMO if he enjoys playing alone more.

I get asked if i would like to join a Guild - I say No again.

I may sometimes say "Yes", but most of the times you will wonder why this person is basically playing "Solo Game" in an MMO.

What is so wonderful about playing a MMO 90% Solo if there are such awesome Games out there like Skyrim, Witcher and more.
    If you ask me if i play them through - somehow i get bored half way even if they should be like the most and best experience for a Solo Gamer like me.

I can count the Minutes i truly did play a MMO like most would expect a Gamer to play a MMO - Socail, Grouping, Guilds, Events......
    But not me. If i group it is rare.

Most of the times because i wanted to video record someone doing something or maybe to be able to help someone. But as i played less, most never required help.
    There is just not that urge.

But there is a reason to stick to MMO, even if you play Solo.

Something that keeps me basically enjoying the Solo Game Experience in the wrong environment: MMO.

So here are my personal reason i like to Solo a MMO more then an offline Solo

1. Solo Offline Monster are created to suit me and how i play. It makes it predictable. MMO Monsters not.

MMO MOnsters are more unpredictable as they are often created for larger amounts of people, they are placed different and for different reasons then in a Solo Game.
    Within Solo Games i will allways know that they are designed for me to be able to overcome then 100% alone.

2. I enjoy the "living feeling of an MMO" surrounding me.

I can´t have a nice talk during my Solo Adventures with a Stranger, but I can have these wonderful moments in an MMO even if i play Solo most of the time.
    The little talk in front of my House in Owls Town i had once with Arianna who did pass me, the Stranger who suddenly interrupted me during my smithing and asked me questions.
    I once only did lay down my Avatar doing something different in real listening to Avatar Radio and enjoyed the random moments people stopping and just commenting: That looks relaxed.

So even so i play Solo i enjoy the "living feeling of an MMO" surrounding me.

3. I can entertain others just with me presence .

A Solo Offline Game will always react the same, no matter what mood i am in real live.
    But within a MMO the different moods i have will carry over into the game.

I had moments my good mood can be reflected into the other players in a Game - i Joke, i suddenly to intense RPG and entertain all around me. I feel helpful and i share the money or items i earned with other players.

4. On a Solo Game you normaly encounter the Same Situation in a Zone over and over.
    But if a run around Solo in a MMO this might not be the case.

If i enter on one day a Tavern it may be empty, on a other day someone might be playing the piano , and on some occasion i might run into a intresting discussion or even a party.

This will not happen on a Solo Game.

5. MMO will get often updated content - compared to a Solo Offline game more often

So i finished my Solo Offline Game - normaly that was it - Game Over .. lets hope for them to make the next Game.

MMO tend to ad far more often new content.

6. Having a House in a Solo Offline Game is one of the most boring things for me.

Why decorate it, why make it look nice - I do not care about the opinion of a NPC.

But having a House in a MMO , even if you Solo the most of the time, is different.
    Investing Time to show the Items you found , the rare stuff and make a wonderful looking decorative house means you give something back to other gamers.

I am aware as a Solo Gamer that i am sharing this Gaming World - i try to respect that. The way to show i respect that is being aware that the persistant content i was given control over i will try to represent in a "pleasent and intresting way" for other Gamers of my Gaming world.

I think that is one of the most reason i do not like Solo Offline compared to Solo playing a MMO - The moment you get persistant content provided you can influence as a gamer yourself - the game becomes so much more motivating then offline.

7. If i run around naked in a Offline Game, or run into a NPC, or curse around - the NPC may respond, but most of the Times do not care about it.

But how you are dressed, what weapons you have found in a dungeon, and yes - how you talk and behave in a MMO is different. Some will notice.

By the way : If i would have the power to code the Guard NPC´s - i would let them throw every naked player dancing at any party right away into the Clink. :)
    And the same for every dressed playing in a Hot Tub. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are probably even more reasons why i have more fun to Solo Play a MMO then a Offline Solo Game.

Why am i doing this Post.

Because you can! truly be a Solo Gamer and have a exciting Story and more believable Gaming experience if you play it in a Multiplayer World.

You MMO Players should be aware that Solo Gamer in your Gaming world do not interfere your Gaming Experience. The requests they have currently are most often going to improve your MMO World.

Kind regards.

A Solo Gamer who loves Multiplayer. :)

2. selbie

selbie Avatar

I'm just like you in that regard. I like to mind my own business in an MMO with no serious commitment to a group or goal, but I like to surround myself with real players to observe and participate in whatever might be happening around me.

Mac R, Andaluz, Cianna and 4 others like this.
  3. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

My head hurts reading this. So you are a solo player.. that's like to play with other people.. but not help out or do anything..

So you're saying that if someone was choking at a restaurant, you just came in for the food and not to be bothered with other peoples problems?

This smells like bait to me.

Apollox Evanheart and Myrcello like this.
  4. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

You're a not solo player. You're a just solo adventurer. Big difference, that sums up everything you said so nicely.

Mac R, smack, Alley Oop and 12 others like this.
  5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Excellent post. Every single point reflects my viewpoints exactly except for the naked dancer scenario. Sending them to the clink is just not enough. A week long ban from the game seems appropriate.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

This is what smells like bait to me.

7. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Im serious, I just can't understand this.

So you want to be in a environment full of other people but have nothing to do with them.. Except you make points to have random interaction with people. So is that really "solo" or do you just like using the word solo. Point 3 and 6 show this. How can you say you are a "solo" player - yet you NEED to have other people around you?

Maybe like social extremist is a better term

Has the word "solo" changed definitions now to something that I have neglected to find. Is it "solo" like bear grylls going out with a team of 8 camera and sound and food guys to "solo" to woods?

Apollox Evanheart and Myrcello like this.
  8. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Enfo: you are just hung up on the word solo? Read the spirit, do not nitpick the words. In a forum, I never assume someone is a native english speaker so that I can give more latitude to typos and word choices. English is my second language, bad english is my first. ;)

To the OP. I agree totally with your sentiment. I may group up every so often, but only with a very small amount of people and for a common cause. And I would prefer it to be with people in TeamSpeak so that I can make sure it is a like minded individual and not a 12 year old brat who just wants to talk trash and backstab.

I rarely finish a 'big' solo game before getting bored, unless it has a gripping tale to weave e.g. Ultima. But once I figure out the mechanics and I am unstoppable (like in ES: Morrowind) then I get bored and don't finish. I still have yet to play Oblivion and Skyrim... just no time to waste knowing that I will be enthralled for too long, and then bored before it is done.

So yes, the multi player aspect running around me is a concept that really intrigues me. I hope others will enjoy it as well, but I will be back in SPOn whenever the naked troops start running.

9. Leffy

Leffy Avatar

I wish I could like your post a thousand times Myrcello! This may sound like a contradiction, but you are the sort I would love to fill my POT and guild with. Individuals coming together at times but mainly doing their own thing! Why o why enfo???? Just skip it!

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Solo doesn't have to mean a world devoid of players. It just means your prefer (and tend to) do things on your own. Where the multiplayer world feels more 'alive' as it's less predictable and therefore for some more interesting. Likewise, a multiplayer environment doesn't mean you MUST play with others all the time.

11. Numa

Numa Avatar

Brilliant post @Myrcello, it makes complete perfect sense.

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thanks for sharing your heart Myrcello. I really got what you were saying. There is a lot more complexity in our emotions than can be labeled cut and dry. People who are not gamers cannot understand all the emotions around it all. Unless I say 'is there anyone in the house who is not a gamer?" They'd be in the wrong house and so confused lol:);)

Cianna, cartodude and Myrcello like this.
  13. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

I guess I am just picky over the word "solo" but also the direction this seems to be going. Instead of a player, like myrcello, out in the woods slaying wolves and happening to run up on a group of bandits(players) and then either bargaining with them or running for his life - he just goes in the wood and slays some woods.

Instead of going down in a dungeon looking for a jeweled cup, coming across thieves and rogues, as well as white-knights and those who would gladly slay others - He will just go in the dungeon "solo", find his cup, and be on his way.

Your asking for a world without surprise, suspense, or the ugly side of human interaction that occasionally unfolds, along with the good laughs and enjoyment a group can bring.

Is that really what everyone has the vision of this game?

Myrcello likes this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

In role-playing games, you can play many roles. One of them is a lone-wolf.

This is what Myrcello is describing, at least for the adventuring part of the game.

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

He's not even talking PvE vs PvP -- I don't know his opinions on that -- he's talking about not joining parties/groups with other players.

Alley Oop likes this.
  16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Yes. At least I can totally understand him.
    If I play online, I play alone, too. Maybe occassionally with some friends, but most of the time alone.
    I don't interact with other players when I play Neverwinter, The Elder Scrolls Online or SWTOR. I just want to do my stuff and not be bothered by others.

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

In my gameplay, I don't go out of my way to interact with other players either, meaning I don't look for parties or groups to join.

However, if I run into some player and he asks for my help doing something, I might help him. If I'm walking through the woods and there are a bunch of players sitting in a circle around a campfire sharing songs and playing the lute, I might stop by. In an Open PvP game, if there's some bandit that challenges me, I might have to kill him. Other times, I might want to sneak around him to avoid the conflict.

Point is I play as a lone-wolf and don't go out of my way to be social, but like the social aspect of the game as well, usually when it involves role-playing. I don't care that much about the social aspect when there's no role-playing involved.

18. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Most of the times the coolest Heros we all love in Movies are

A) sitting with a group of friends drinking and dancing and chatting

B) alone in a corner or at a bar drinking
    A whisky

C) having a mysterious story of rare being seen and known to be often alone in dangerous places

D) have a backround story of participating daily in social events and activities

E) will always try to talk with everyone and respond with min 10 words.

F) will normaly do not want to talk when someone approches them and respond in a 2 word sentence.

Please mark what is correct.

Maybe us Solo Adventurer are closest to how fiction pictures a true hero.

Han Solo, Indiana Jones, Batman,Rambo,Strider(LOTR),Conan,highlander...fill in next movie Hero.

Looks like we know how to rpg a hero we solo gamers.

Grin.

Not serious post.But just had this comparing in my head.

19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

You forgot G) Hopping around in dungeons wearing pumpkin masks and decorating the roofs of their houses with chairs and ankhs stretching to the sky while writing "Leetmasta327 rulez!" in the garden with fruit ;)

Aldo, Myrcello and Katrina Bekers like this.
  20. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Those movies had more than one actor. How about the man who sleeps or secret honor. Solo actor movies. Which was your favorite?

Myrcello likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.