What is missing from game!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Brink1123, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Some folks play games for an adrenaline rush, and some want more relaxed entertainment.
    This game certainly has both.
    Spectral Mines, Etceter Crag Mines, just about anywhere underground is quite challenging.

Womby, Alexander, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  2. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I caught that when I said it. Sorry for the inference, but it did feel that the inference went that far. So yes, no one said it was juvenile. But it was said that that playstyle was enjoyed at a juvenile age. Tracy for one would appreciate that playstyle at a non-juvenile age, thank you very much.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  3. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Nice thoughts Sir !

Skyo likes this.
  4. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Almost, but not quite.

I understand I should have said "good old times", because juvenile may carry a youngster slant. I'm sorry for the density.

What I meant is I'm against reharshing "good old times" in a game that has different core design choices than the one(s) played in "good old times".

I enjoyed playing Shadowfire and Bard's Tale while Ultima was all the rage. And was playing avidly MUDs when UO was at the peak of its success. Still, I wouldn't even dream of strong arming the top brass at Portalarium to include Manto's teleport device, the Flame Horn or the dire XP hole (typical of Aber/DIKU's) into SotA, just because I had fond memories of these mechanics of my juvenile gaming days.

They wouldn't literally make sense here - within what I understand is the project design direction.

So why I should open thread upon thread upon thread to reiterate a desire coming from another game, when that desire has nothing to do with the vision being presented, and all to do with a different game of a different company in a different geological era (in videogame terms) played by a very different me?

Only because we're in the feedback phase and if I can lobby hard enough I can manage to slip into Shroud of the Avatar my personal view of what I think a game could be compelling, based on what I fould compelling 25 years ago?

I think I'll pass. I can hope others resist this urge too.

Numa, Womby, Alley Oop and 8 others like this.
  5. Miracle Dragon

Well said. I think SotA isn't about holding onto the past, but showing there is a future for well-made role playing games. Certain old-school elements like the overhead map are here, not for nostalgia, but to facilitate a certain cost efficiency. I don't remember Richard Garriot's 'Ultimate RPG' essays saying anything about the need for Full loot non-consented PvP.

Thanks for clarifying. I do think there's room for feedback of this nature, but it's clear that the game's development has decided to accommodate other playstyles as well, and for feedback to be useful, it needs to take this under consideration.

6. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Usable outhouses.

7. jamiesan

jamiesan Avatar

I agree with you. The people that want the easy way out, as you put it, are not the result of times changing. They were and still are playing UO. What has changed is that there isn't a place for those of us that want a more risk vs reward experience to play, whereas there have been, and are, dozens of games that cater to a less risk vs reward, and yes easy way out playstyle. All of the things that the OP talked about are exactly what I and many others want. It's not just about pvp, either, it's about a cool world simulation where you have to work and struggle, making the rewards that much greater. I understand that this isn't for everybody. People that want this playstyle are here because this game is linked to UO, and actually there was some kind of advertisement on UO Freeshards (that's how I heard about it). We've been wanting an UO-esque experience and that's why we've been chasin feelins on fickle freeshards for so long (I haven't in quite a while). Game creators are scared that they'll lose subscribers and I don't blame them. Some people simply aren't okay with losing or struggle in online games and that's fine, but that leaves us on the forums of developing games lobbying for something similar to what we'd like to play.

8. jamiesan

jamiesan Avatar

Many people still play UO free shards today, some of them have been continuously playing UO since the 90's. Many more played much more casually over the years and even more never tried a freeshard at all after their pay-to-play experience. There is a community of people that want what we're lobbying for, scattered all about internetworld. A high percentage of that community originated from a little game called Ultima Online, created by a man named Richard Garriot, based off of a Series of successful games, leading to it's not yet completed successor SOTA. The game Ultima Online, SOTA, and the community that I'm speaking of, are not the same as you wanting thunder lasers from whatever game you were talking about to be implemented into SOTA. :)

It's fine that other people want something else, but it's not necessarily a distant memory to everyone as your games are for you. Also don't forget that older people were playing UO too, not everyone was a kid. I'll try out SOTA no matter what, especially since I've already paid! I just hope at the very least that the pvp is fun. Not to say that I won't enjoy the single player, but good pvp really helps with play-time longevity. That interaction, competition, and the ability to flaunt your acquired items is something that will keep you going after you're bored with the single player. If there were some semblance of riskVSreward, a good trading system, player housing, and good pvp all sitting on top of a fun world with good lore, that'd be super. I really don't see why that's not a possibility in SOTA. I don't expect to see full loot or anything like that in SOTA, but nobody should be surprised that there are people here that would enjoy that, considering the games creator and lore.

Skyo and Miracle Dragon like this.
  9. jamiesan

jamiesan Avatar

I agree that the player accountability in UO was lacking. That perhaps is the greatest factor when it comes to online game creators being scared to allow open pvp. It's hard to create a system that allows total freedom but at the same time offers player accountability and justice. Statloss actually worked at curbing pking quite a bit, and was a cool idea with the bounties and the bounty board. The problem was that it was too easy to work around, and it was a turbo-bummer for any player that might take statloss and lose a percentage of their characters hard earned stats. I'm not saying that SOTA should have statloss or even open pvp, I'm just saying that I think a good player accountability system is doable. Games are just scared to try it (understandably) or try it and mostly fail.

10. Katrina Bekers

And it's right here where I see the deep misunderstanding. A misunderstanding I'm really sorry for, and I'd love for TPTB to correct sooner rather than later.

For as much as we can collectively dream and lobby for, UO is as distant - in time, tech, direction and market - from SotA as it'd be Adventure or Pitfall for Atari VCS.

And keep lobbying - and lobbying this desperatedly hard - for features from a game so distant is disingenuous at best, especially from people of a certain age like you and me could be.

It's exactly like me asking for thundering lasers to battle the trolls of Epitaph: consider that, in the history of Ultima, thundering lasers (on the aircar) were actually present... :p

Womby, Alley Oop and Bones13 [MGT] like this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm pretty sure you don't even know the definition of lobbying...

12. Miracle Dragon

Huh?? She was using 'lobbying' correctly.. Lobbying is usually used in the political arena, but it means to seek to influence an idea or decision. So if there's something we'd like to see in the game, and we are seeking to influence the developers to include it, we are technically 'lobbying' for it, by constantly bringing it up on the forums for discussion.

Womby, Alley Oop, Alexander and 5 others like this.
  13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

traps in dungeons and on chests! Good loot on monsters you kill, Special type weapons and armor (anyone can get by completing quests, or killing boss monsters)! Fun is missing i can only RP crap so often before i need to draw a line and say enough is enough! Good assassin skills, good healing skills, more ore when mining, random monsters besides wolves, skeles, bandits etc.. its too repetitive, and it gets boring! Sound for a bunch of stuff ( i would think sound would be the cheapest thing to get for a video game, especially if you put a call to arms out for people to make sound effects, character voices etc... and just plain give them to the game. More character animations when fighting , More PVP only scenes. im sure i missed some but hey its all i got for now! Oh yeah and specific classes.

14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Technically, but in effect, you CANNOT LAWYER THEM BRO :p

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  15. Katrina Bekers

Oh, nevermind MD.

I may not know what lobbying means.

But I wouldn't be any wiser if it was Ahualskdfj90tugdfjkvlajer8y3-whatever to teach me. :D

Fister Magee likes this.
  16. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

you cant make people accept something they don't want to.

in my not so humble opinion this game needs a more juevinile auduience, i find maturity to be boring and predictible, even in myself. if its to loud your to old.....

17. Katrina Bekers

So that more foot stomping can be enjoyed everywhere? Ok, fine with me.

Go figure, I keep desiring people able to express themselves. Ah, wishful thinking!

*Juvenile
    *Audience
    *Predictable
    *It's
    *Too
    *You're

18. helm

helm Avatar

TL;DR!

(and for the juvenile audience, yes that was meant as a joke...)

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  19. Leffy

Leffy Avatar

The very things that made me mad in UO kept me coming back...first time I scrounged to finally get a small house...Was only 3 or 4 in the guild at the time, but it still took us quite an effort to get the coin. Went from the real estate broker to the bank and BAM....someone tried to steal from me. Of course in my haste to get the deed in the bank, I was fumbling about and next thing you know it was oooOOOOoooOOo for me...and watched the guy take my deed from my corpse. I can't put into words what I went through at that moment..and the next 20 minutes. But it made me more determined than ever. Every time something horrible happened like that, whether pk or monsters, I couldn't wait to get back to it and succeed. But that's just me....There is no gratification for easy success or rewards. We all play and look for different things.. for me, UO took a turn for the worst when trammel came...and I hated pvp, but it was the unknown that captivated me.

20. Robby

Robby Avatar

I still really really want a PvE option with super high rewards and rares that involves dungeons loaded with spawn and monsters that can and will kill and loot you dry. And no you wont go back into the dungeon to get your stuff back you will lose everything you brought in. And all the loot and gold you acquired. Boy what a thrill it would be to get a party of players together and go into that kind of high risk dungeon. And not just dungeons, zombie forests, maybe bank robbery or rogue side quests and stuff where guards will kill and loot you clean put a bounty on you. Or maybe get some NPC paladins or Templars searching for you if you happen to do some vicious necromancy by sneaking around town and collecting innocent NPC souls and piling them into an egg of evil that will hatch into a powerful tame follower when it is fed enough souls! Then you can command that new evil hatchling to raid cities and villages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.