Postal Services established in New Britannia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WrathPhoenix, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Last night Port Phoenix and Serenite established the first ever permanent two way mail delivery service. A first run was done from serenite to port phoenix and back - all recorded and posted on video. Big thanks to @Violation there! Post offices in Port phoenix and serenite have been established and a system of delivery has been constructed with in town and inter town deliveries starting today. Here in Port Phoenix our services will be directed by @Bodhbh Dearg our resident post master. :)

Since then we have also established postal connections to Wolves Den thanks to @Justyn04 and will soon be running deliveries to the clan of the wolf as well. Connections to PaxLair and Beran League towns i am hoping to establish soon :). The creation of this system also marked the creation of one of - if not the very first - outright trade agreement with agreed-upon resource per resource exchange rates established and posted in the post office.

I for one thank @EMPstrike and @Violation and @Minerva as well as any others who have become involved since. I am very excited to see this kind of infrastructure established in New Britannia. I am sure @RichardGarriott and @Winfield will be pleased to hear this! I will use this post to keep track of recommendations we would need to make this system better.

The first thing that comes to mind! We need one way public cache chests where anyone can put something in but only one can remove it! Mail boxes!

And the second thing - a way to package/wrap a container so that the contents are hidden and a wax seal to prove that no ones unwrapped it. The wrapped package / box should be able to be placed in another container! Such as a mail box or public chest! :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Hmm, a central public "mailbox" chest in every town center. Delivery deposited only by your local postmaster. Mails delivered from town PM to PM. Extract packages only labels for you.

Does it come with spam filters, do you suppose?:)

3. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Yep! All things we have already thought through! The irony is the first delivery to Serenite was a shipment of port phoenix brochures! Junk mail ^^ but you do in fact state exactly how our system works. We deliver to the post office of the neighboring town and the local post master disseminates that stuff to the right people in town.

4. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

In that case, maybe we could ask for a mailbox instead of a public chest? And it could be available for a lower cost than the current public chest - the price of which might discourage someone from getting it - especially since it comes with junk mail filters disabled.:p

Bodhbh Dearg, Heradite, Womby and 4 others like this.
  5. Krofft

Krofft Avatar

could this be facilitated through the adaptaion of the bank mechanic... granted the "mailbox" would not be "curbside" however it could be implemented through a central "postmaster" and everyone with a lot in a town would have a "P.O. Box" in a local NPC building...???

Bodhbh Dearg, Heradite, Womby and 2 others like this.
  6. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Bank would mean that you'd need enough room to accept said mail though. Number of slots in banks can be pretty low and precious if you're at Steam level. :)

7. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I would also like to know if you guys can make it so that names of containers show up on mouseover...

8. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Good initiative. Blake and I have been talking about delivery of goods for a while, but don't recall if we ever posted anything (publicly) about it. It is on our back burner.

Glad you liked the idea. One of my better ones. ;-)

9. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

What happens to unclaimed mail, btw? :confused: Can it just sit in the PM's public chest waiting for the owner to claim it?

Remembers a time when she forgets to tell the PM she was going a way for a while and came home to a notice, All mail not picked up at the local PO will be returned to sender by two days ago........:oops:

10. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Yes it is a very good idea !

I have been hearing a lot of people talking about shipping or delivery but a lot of people had been waiting a little too long for my tastes. Nothing against that might you I just thought i'd go do something rather than over complicate the issue. First step for me was to set up the baseline then expand and enhance. We just established a makeshift post office in High Rock as well.

11. smack

smack Avatar

Mailboxes -- yeah, we've been asking for something like that for ages. It would be great to see all kinds in the Add On Store and works as described, except with some caveats. As mailboxes are not infinite containers, and to mitigate griefing by stuffing junk in them to fill them up, causing the owner to continually empty them or risk not receiving their real mail (essentially DoS attacks), the mailboxes should have access controls, much like houses.

Your second idea is great, and perhaps we can simply extend the mailbox to be a portable container with similar access controls.

Looking forward to using your postal services in-game! :)

12. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Best just to dive in and experiment. We aren't there yet with delivery. Too many competing priorities. :-s

Indeed. Try something simple then iterate. Make it more complicated as you need to.

Bodhbh Dearg and Miracle Dragon like this.
  13. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I know that feeling all too well

14. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I actually checked for deliveries twice today. No one likes the mail to arrive late! :D

15. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

There are actually some queued - I need Bodhbh Dearg also added to that lot there, hes gonna get with minerva

Bodhbh Dearg and Miracle Dragon like this.
  16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The Lockbrier publishing house has an interest in funding the construction of a postal office...

17. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Lets get it done then Themo.... I can show yall what we've done in port phoenix to give ou an idea of how our set up works. Getting on board is easy! And the material exchange rates help foster trade.

18. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

had to share this ^.^

19. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

A recipient chest would be great for so many things...

Guild donation chest
    Town tax collection
    Crowdsourced project collection
    Mailbox

It's time!

I'd also like to see a message board implemented so people can check in and leave notes for players... but in this case it would be for package tracking. When we go from one post office to the next we can trace the package so, in the case of future package loss due to PK, we know where it is/was last.

Additionally, the message board would be ideal when trying to handle rift rip, lunar lag, lunar chaos, and rip zones. (aka, abrupt disconnects do to IRL, latency making online play unbearable for slow dialup or dsl connections, storms and such creating internet outages, and world time zones AND daylight savings time issues).

Finally, chest access logs to know when someone made a deposit for clear evidence of delivery.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Sean Silverfoot, Numa and Themo Lock like this.
  20. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.