Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The Grind

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I played as much as I possibly could during R23 in an effort to be "PVP ready" and I couldn't do it. I got to level 41, but that was far as I could go.

I just have too much going on. I have a wife, four kids, a full time job, and other responsibilities. Despite that, I played A LOT, and it just wasn't good enough. What some people just don't seem to understand is that this isn't good for the game.

I really feel like the level progression system could be easily balanced so that power gamers don't have an unreasonable advantage over normal people. I'm all for having progression, but the only way for me to be "good" at this combat system is if I get a divorce, disown my kids, quit my job, and win the lottery.

Surly you understand this, right? If you look at who's the highest level in R24, it's not people playing the game for a few hours a week, is it?

I've heard some people on the forums estimate that it would take the average player about 4 months to get to these higher levels where they can begin to compete in pvp (I'm taking their word for it), and that's without an experience modifier! (that is current x4) So that may mean that at launch it takes a good year to reach what a power gamer (a person spending extreme amounts of time grinding) would accomplish in just 4 months.

There has to be a better way to do this. All I want to do is PVP and RP, I don't want to grind and I especially don't want to grind if I'm always going to be four months to a year behind the competitive curve.

2. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

I have a wife, two kids, a full time job and other responsibilities. Despite that, I played A LOT as well and I thought progression was far too quick. I managed to get to level 71 in R23. I really wouldn't like to see it dumbed down any further. I want it to be challenging and to take time for me to reach the upper echelons.

Chatele, Logain, Frank Bach and 14 others like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

So is that the norm or an outlier? I would be surprised if there were many people that shared your profile. The speed of progression has to thought of in relative terms. It's not about how fast it can be accomplished, it's about how fast is reasonable for it to be accomplished so that people can complete in PVP and do other things like RP instead of constantly grinding.

Also, I'm certainly not suggesting we "dumb things down". I'm suggesting we allow people that want to pvp and roleplay a way to do that without grinding. I see grinding as something that should have nothing to do with either RP or PVP.

Ice Queen likes this.
  4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It's the norm, the outliers are close to 90..or at the other end of the scale..40.

margaritte, Gurney2 and FrostII like this.
  5. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

I made it to level 72 for the release, might I suggest you play the game a little more and play the forums a little less and you might be a lot higher level. I also have a child and work full time with a lot of out of game commitments. It should take a long time to level up IMO

Chatele, Beli, Logain and 5 others like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

I don't know what that means.

Are you saying there are more than 30 people at level 70+ something right now in R24?

Ice Queen likes this.
  7. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

70 here but I also played a lot and had the 4X modifier the whole time. However, I don't have any kids but I do have 3 cats and let me tell you... they'll run you ragged.

8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

yes

Gurney2 likes this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

Perhaps I have a job where I can post on the forums but not play in the game?

But what difference does it make, exactly? Why should my PVP competitiveness be based on your idea of how much time I should be playing? Do tell.

Ice Queen and Moonshadow like this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

I would love to see the official numbers on that. I think what we would find is a large percentage of people never make it past level 40 in this game in any release, ever. Do you disagree?

Ice Queen, Moonshadow and strabo like this.
  11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

yes

Aldo, margaritte, amaasing and 2 others like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Interesting. What percentage of total players in R23, do you think were above level 40? I'd guess less than 20%.

13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

U can catch up. if someone is level 90 and your 40, it doesn't mean they are gonna be 140 by the time u hit 100. And a some point the benifit of gettign a higher level isn't gonna be enough to overshadow your skill as a PvPer.

Having someone level faster doesnt make them more viable, it jsut makes them viable sooner.
    Im 50 and i bet i can put the hurt on a lvl 80 if i tried enough.

If you roll by yourself tho, you're gonna wanna be wiser with your situational awarness because everyone is weaker alone.

14. Drocis the Devious

Also, saying that I don't play enough. Is kind of like if I said so and so wasn't a good father or husband or worker because they played too much. It's really not relevant despite the fact that you don't have any idea how long I played during R23.

Chatele, Ice Queen and Moonshadow like this.
  15. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

If you count all the alt and inactive accounts you might be right

margaritte and Gurney2 like this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

You mean I shouldn't be in the middle of a shardfall afk writing forum posts? :)

Yeah, I understand there's a soft curve as you get higher in level, but if you read the OP again notice I elude to that. (at least I tried) When this game launches, at the rate I play now which is maxed out, I'll be 4 months to a year behind level 100 people. And sure, when I hit level 100 I'll be competitive with level 140 people maybe, but why is it taking me a year? I mean what's the point of that?

17. Godra

Godra Avatar

Well, I try to get in 2 hrs a night if I can. I don't even know my level right now. I am having a hard time keeping up with the changes and struggle with quests. I am just not spending enough time to move forward and by the time I get several levels up, a wipe comes. Not complaining, I love the game path it's on and believe that I will devote more time next year, just not able to put a lot of time in the game right now.

Chatele, Ice Queen, Heradite and 2 others like this.
  18. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

The
    I don't know what line of work you do, or do I care but your statement would be the same as if I walked into your job and said why shouldn't I be as good as you are at your work without having put in the same effort to get there

Logain, Gurney2 and Sqrink like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

I'm not trying to be unreasonable. The point is that not very many people (I suspect) get past level 40. What do you think the reason is? I think (if it's true) then it's because grinding is not fun.

Ice Queen likes this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

Yes, I understand that logic. But here's the problem I have with that. You're becoming good at PVP because you grind. What do those things have in common? It's like if I went into your work and said "oh you're a nuclear physicist! so obviously you're going to be great at kick boxing!" It makes no sense.

If you want to be good at grinding, wonderful...congrats. Why in the world should that make you good at pvp?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.