Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Your cotton should not be safe, you need walls.

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Iforgot, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iforgot

Iforgot Avatar

12/22/2015 11:51 AM
    Title: The fact I cant harvest this mans cotton, excessive excessive excessive cotton
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details: You should need walls and a gate, or second floor window/porch. My mind is flustered due to the amount of greed here. Why it should not be this way, is back to @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos about promoting that organic chemistry between humans. Here is a great example of this. This human being has over pshhh dont know, with meticulous, WHO KNOWS, but instead of me being pvp flagged and just start hacking it down because there are zero barriers to stop me. I would only take a couple not all because Im not greedy but, with that being said the comradery and the element of risk, your neighbor could be walking by and see that Im flagged and try to help, while hes yelling for others to come help. and then we now have a unique game situation, you are trying to defend your friends crops, from a thief. OR a passery by in the city sees a fellow thief in help and then you have a thief friendship form, there are endless possibilities.

WITH THAT BEING SAID the amount of player towns are over whelming in my opinion last night i just found the interactive map and holy moley there are way to many cities, and most of those cities are empty, and most of those cities that do have stuff I feel just causes more singularity well amongst other humans to try and interact with other humans, in any way, and that cant be accomplished here with greedy mc greederson and his cotton field.,
    Steps to Reproduce: http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/PuG_WOW/Desktop 12-22-2015 11-52-01 AM-51_zpsdde2euy4.jpg
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8) System RAM: 12280
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU RAM: 4008
    SotA.PreAlpha.Win.64.363.Date.12.18.15
    Area: Novia_R3_City_Kiln
    Loc: (138.6, 34.8, 55.5)

Moonshadow likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Sounds like feedback and not a bug.

I'm not sure how to balance this, even in a PVP zone. The idea that you would just walk up and take someone's cotton seems unbalanced. Yet I agree it would certainly be more interactive and in the spirit of multiplayer gaming.

I've always thought that having a "Scarecrow" that would protect your crops would be a good solution. It would basically be an NPC guard that would be quiet difficult to steal from.

I personally just zoned from my PVP POT on the far west of Novia to Ardoris, taking my goods to market without any risk what so ever. I think perhaps another solution would be to make the distribution of goods to market be the risky part.

Your crops would be safe, but when you tried to deliver them to a place for sale you'd be vulnerable to attack and could lose them.

3. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

@Iforgot @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos This is indeed treading into the realm of feedback. Moving to the appropriate forum so it doesn't languish in the land of bugs.

4. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

My...

...what a cute little cotton field...it's so teeny!

#MeanwhileInPortPhoenix...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Yes, please allow stealing of crops.

But not until you first implement a laser-beam armed scarecrow that insta-kills anyone it catches stealing crops... or when I can plant traps that release a pack of fang-toothed killer gophers that have rabies and if they bite you once you get a debuff that is a DOT that is uncureable and kills you repeatedly for 1 hour (each bite stacks and makes the debuff stronger and last longer)... to help protect my virtual garden that I can't defend myself 24/7. :p

Solazur, John Markus, Ronan and 5 others like this.
  6. Lained

Lained Avatar

I have a small fence and two guard dogs, does that suffice?

[​IMG]

7. Selene

Selene Avatar

I would love if the game could include gleaning.

Gleaning is the act of collecting leftover crops from farmers' fields after they have been commercially harvested or on fields where it is not economically profitable to harvest. Some ancient cultures promoted gleaning as an early form of a welfare system. (source)

I know there will be public gardening spaces, but I would love to be able to set the option to make certain plants available to be harvested by anyone in game (much like a growing public chest). There is a historical precedent, and I think it would be a great addition for its roleplay possibilities.

Alley Oop, Grimace2, Greyfox and 2 others like this.
  8. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

My oh My!

.... What a cute little cotton field... it's so teeny! LOL

#MeanwhileInSerpent'sWatch

[​IMG]

9. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

#MeanwhileInPhoenixFields...

[​IMG]

10. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Let the planting begin ! :eek:

Moiseyev Trueden and Jack Knyfe like this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

#meanwhileOutsideEpeenville

Having criminal actions such as stealing crops happen without consent of the crop-holder would essentially force the assholery that things like pvp flags required for pickpocket targets are designed to prevent.

Having A crop require the field's owner be pvp flagged would make it more consentual but would it be hard to do?

Having permissions on your lot to allow open harvesting might work, with like a bonus to maturing time or something as incentive.

But do youreally wanna see farming communities with fortress walls built around every plot?

Alley Oop and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  13. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Ahh yes, this was probably the thing I loved most about playing Archeage. You could not only plant crops on your own land, but you could also plant crops anywhere else in the world. No one could touch the crops on owned land, but crops grown elsewhere was fair game. The crop thief would leave behind footprints at the crime scene which people were able to click and then report the theft and said thief would be awarded criminal points. It encouraged people who didn't own land, to go out and explore the world in search for secluded places to grow crops unseen. Oh the PVP I participated in over trying to grow a simple pine tree for the lumber. . . I wish SOTA could implement something of the same nature however, since the game is not open world. .I don't see how it could work :( I will go back to playing the worlds smallest violin for one of the best games to ever be ruined by Trion.

14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I think they should be able to be stole in PvP towns. PvE town theft whether npc or player owned would bring some major backlash.

Womby and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  15. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

I would certainly be open for Player Owned Town Sieges - in that if you defeat my town you're welcome to the spoils for a short window of time.

16. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

You missed a spot Jack!

Ronan likes this.
  17. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

I use a bespoke iterative process in my cotton agriculture loop. As with all things, it will be refined over time.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I am sorry but this is SOOO pathetic and a sad state of affairs.

This is plain out passive PvP and there is NO way a player should be able to harvest ANY other players resources. . . . . .

If you want it take the time and effort to grow it if not - YOU ARE SOL. Get over it, you are NOT entitled to it. And I would put a LOW fence around it with quicksand around the edged so any player NOT allowed in who jump the fence dies as they are plain out thieves (an many MANY more explicatives)

JohnL, Solazur and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

Meanwhile, hopefully the devs realize that housing has to have more of a purpose, otherwise the entire game will become farmville.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

You picked an excellent spot to plant your cotton in. Snowy Mountains.

Elwyn and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.