deCani Date Correlator and Predictor (Earth/New Britannia)

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Balec Fares deCani, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Planning a New Britannia new year's party, but don't know when the new year is? ...or how about a new Milennia party?

Want to know what New Britannia date it will be when you return from your Earthly vacation?

Check out the deCani Date Correlator and Predictor
    (Dates/Times are in CST.)

This calculates the current New Britannia time and date based on the current Earth time and date, predicts the Earth time and date of the next new New Britannia day, month, year, century and millennia.

For example...
    Next new year (479): 1/11/2016 (09:00 CST)
    Next new century (500): 10/31/2016 (17:00 CST)
    Next new millenia (1000): ...check the sheet!

Save a copy and change the date in cell B3 to see the NB date for any Earth date/time.

Compliments of:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    Aeryk, fonsvitae, Hazard and 24 others like this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'll check this out when I get home; Google docs are blocked from work. Were you able to get it to start matching from midnight 1/1/2013 SD to midnight 1/1/400 PC, and calculate out to match the in-game date? My wiki Calendar is off by one day.

Elgarion De Kahli likes this.
  3. Balec Fares deCani

I was off by one day from your Wiki calendar - you were one day lower than me.

When I went ingame, i was offset by six days so I fudged the start date (400) to 1/7/2013.

4. Browncoat Jayson

Yeah, I'm one day lower to get the in-game date to match the actual math. I need to check the date cycle out this weekend, to see if its still calculating the same. I havn't gotten to log into R25 yet. :( I did report this a couple releases ago, and got a message saying it was submitted as a bug, so I'm hoping it gets fixed. Until then, at best we can guess for in-game dates. (Plus, the Britannian day and month names have been AWOL for a while...)

I was tempted to do this, but Richard said that 1/1/2013 was the start date, so I didn't want to mess with that. I just couldn't make it work out to calculate the same date showing in-game. I settled for the one-day offset and just noting that those dates are incorrect, at least until a Dev can help resolve this.

I'd really like to create a @DarkStarr Moondial or Orrery app, but I can't do that until the skybox and date issues are resolved.

5. Balec Fares deCani

It seems your current date calculation is fudging something because it does not appear consistent with the historical dates:
    Release 25 (December 17, 2015 @10:30am) Marse 2, 477 P.C. Tiwesdai Marse 2, Wentru 477 P.C. Morning Waxing Crescent Moon
    Today (December 29, 2015 @1:27pm) Janus 18, 478 P.C. Thuresdai Janus 18, Wentru 478 P.C. Morning Waxing Crescent Moon

12 days 3 hours difference (Earth)
    = 288+3 = 291 earth hours or NB days = 10 NB months and 11 NB days

Marse 2, 477 P.C. + 10 Months, 11 days = Jan 13 NOT Jan 18 as you have on the site.

6. Browncoat Jayson

I'll check the maths again; i had to use Unix time conversions due to some errors in converting dates, which is a little funky. It was matching the in-game calendar when I last tested it back in R20.

7. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

welp, I got it to work in my database yet it will not autorefresh -- something I'll have to work on in the future :) Funny, my Julian dates look completely different yet the math at the end all works out the same. Also, the spreadsheet seems to utilize time from your current timezone, so that's something to account for ( the NOW function) likely pulls from your computers clock. So perhaps a little note to remind folks to + or - the applicable number of hours from their timezone and Austin's in the Earth Hours Difference field. I actually had to add 6 since my database seems to live somewhere other than I do and doesn't utilize my computers clock NOR the dang timezone I set for it. It's stubborn... probably developing some sort of AI. Probably, before too long -- it'll be SkyNet time :p

Balec, this was amazing -- if I could simply give you 1000 likes, I would :) You laid it out and broke it down in a such an easy fashion, the forumlas were exceptionally easy to follow!

Balec Fares deCani likes this.
  8. Balec Fares deCani

Thanks! I'm glad you were able to follow the logic!

Actually it's not a true Julian date in the spreadsheet, just an Excel version of a number-based date. I just labeled it that way so that others could build their own (Julian is more universal) without using the proprietary spreadsheet logic. Regarding NOW(), actually it's pretty cool, Google Sheets allows you to specify a timezone for the sheet as well as some options on the refresh of NOW()...so If you were to save a copy to your google sheets, you could adjust the timezone (File->Spreadsheet Settings)

9. Elgarion

Just noticed last night at the year changeover oddly, my calcs were showing it was April -11, and currently yours shows as March 32. Mine balanced back out after the next update (I push hourly updates) but yours seems to be still showing a bit off. I'm diving in to see why might glitched... weirdness.

10. Balec Fares deCani

Ah yeah, I meant to come back and fix that. When I added the 6 day "fudge factor" (setting start date to 1/7/400 instead of 1/1/400) I added it in a bad place (after the days/months were sorted out). I moved the "J1+" from cell J13 to H4 instead and it's rolling the months properly at the end of month now.

11. Elgarion

Hmmmm.... Excellent, and that also helped me clear up an issue I was having. Thanks Balec!

12. Elgarion

Welp, the timeline page at RPOTA now shows the current NB Date (it glitches here and there, sometimes during the hourly update the formulas get stuck and don't fully calculate, so it's correct 90% of the time. And when its wrong, either it missed an hour and is off by a day OR its very wrong, such as last night when it was Apru -11 hahaha.

Timeline Page Showing New Date Feature

AND, I've even created embed codes for 2 versions of the date. One short one and one long one.

NB Date Embed Code Page

Thanks Balec -- I couldn't have done it without your keep math skills!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Spoon and Balec Fares deCani like this.
  13. Balec Fares deCani

Updated with countdown timers for upcoming events!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    smack, Beaumaris, Mata and 1 other person like this.
  14. Browncoat Jayson

It appears that they corrected the date, as it no longer shows a zero day in-game, and the dates are one day forward of what I was calculating before. I rebuilt my calculation to match the new behavior, and the earlier dates come out correctly.

The five hour/NB day difference seems to be due to calculations for timezone. This I will need to fix, but I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to go about doing that yet. I might just force everything into Zulu time and do the offset manually, so folks can't get it wrong when entering dates.

15. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

16. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.