Exp Pooled etc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michellia, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michellia

Michellia Avatar

Can someone actually on the dev team explain how this is gained and what it is used for. Both types of EXP bars on the screen.

I have read hundred of post and it still confusing because its not official any of it.

If there is a official post from Lord British or one of his lackey's then please point me to it.

thanks all.

2. Net

Net Avatar

Producer xp is gained on successful harvests, and lost every time you finish harvesting attempt if you are levelling any related skills.

Adventuring xp is gained by completing quests and killing monsters, it is lost everytime you level a skill (you can level some innates by using any skill).

There is no need for post from dev, you can test it ingame;)

3. Veggie Quarian

Veggie Quarian Avatar

@Net nailed it.

You gain PE by harvesting. You'll lose it on harvesting failures, or when you use ANY skill in that production line. For example, I gain a buncha Producer XP from harvesting ore, then when I go home and either smelt, or do some smithing it'll use the EXP out of my producer pool, but never gain doing those two activities.

ADV exp, is basically the same. You gain it by killing, you never really 'lose' the XP out of your pool. Its going into whatever skill you happen to be training. So if I go kill a bunch of wolves with EVERYTHING turned off my pool will just grow and grow. As a skill gets higher in levels it'll pull more out of your EXP bar each time. A level 1 skill might pull 5xp points per use, where as a level 90 skill might pull 200.

BUT WAIT...theres more. :) The skills will pull appox 18% outta your XP bar per use. 100k in your bar means that around 180pts per 'use' is being put into that skill. The more skills 'training' the more it spreads out that 180xp between them. Especially passives, most of em just suck points nearly all the time.

Feel free to mssg in-game, or add me. This stuff gets convoluted when trying to explain without any visuals. G'luck! :)

DAMNIT this is an ALT acct. didn't notice which I was logged in as! If ya wanna add it's Oba Evesor in game!! Sorry.

4. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Add this name. :) Sorry bout that again.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  5. Morika Web

Morika Web Avatar

I think I understand most of that, but I have a few questions:

1. Is there a limit on how many points you can keep in a pool?

2. Is there a limit on how many points you can distribute to skills? For example in UO you have a skill point limit of around 725 points which you can call the "pool" then you can distribute those points wherever you want but only up to the 725 point cap.

3. Do skills degrade over time? Can you unlearn a skill?

4. What exactly does it mean when you set a skill to "Maintaining for dependant skill"?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

1: seems not to have any limit
    2: no limit
    3: yes and no... there is skill decay but at the moment you wont actually lose a skill level, you will just go into negative exp requirement for the next advancement.
    4: it is still draining a small amount from your exp pool to avoid decay (i am not sure why).

7. Morika Web

Morika Web Avatar

Thanks Thermo Lock.

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The official stuff is in the "Player Instructions" which you can find in your inventory in game under "
    Character Progression"
    you can also find these by clicking the Help (?) icon in the top right corner, those are the official stuff you are given.

If you want a direct link to a more readable format on how the progress is on releases then you can find that in the Announcement section of the forums - which is where you should search for the latest info from the devs + the weekly updates.

Here is a link to the R25 instructions, in that post you will find again a link to the Player Instructions doc.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/release-25-instructions.42415/

...and I wouldn't call @Lum a lackey lest you want him to troll you.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    Themo Lock, Tahru, 4EverLost and 2 others like this.
  9. Michellia

Michellia Avatar

ok, So if I get this right. Turn off harvesting of cotton and tree and such and when mining it will go up faster. ????

Also right now I was mining for about 30 minutes and my pool adventure went down 85 points. Why because I am not fighting, only my 4 mining skills have been changing all going up, since I am only mining,.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  10. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

At a guess, maybe #4 from Themo's post above? Maintenance costs.

Ice Queen likes this.
  11. Vedrix

Vedrix Avatar

I noticed this too and realized it was going to weapon preservation. I assumed the durability changes in the pickaxe were levelling the skill.

But also skill maintenance would play a role as well.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That all depends on how patient you want to be. If you want to focus on specific skills so they go up faster and/or have others you don't care so much about.. then you might consider flipping some to maintenance. But in the end the XP use is still the same. You're just fiddling around to prioritize distribution to benefit some skills over others.

As a soloist most of the time.. I usually leave all skills on and I rarely ever die. However, I'm also a cautious fellow and always try to control the situation to minimize my risk. Survival for me is less about advancing skill than it is knowing when to back off.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  13. Vedrix

Vedrix Avatar

I leave all my adventuring skills I want as training and just use Themo's levelling guide. So far it works well as far as I know. The pace is acceptable. It's not powerhour at the bone wall/pits but it's enjoyable. I use abilities and combos for multiple mob pulls (more frequent PAE gains for the ability drain per use) and just auto-attack on the singles (more sustained and slower PAE drain) and it appears to be a nice mix.

Themo Lock and 4EverLost like this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm sure that's a bug and they probably know about it. I believe there's just something funky going on with the spawn timer. It's not limited to low level areas. I'm sure it will get fixed eventually.

15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Very helpful thread and this official stuff is well written.

Themo Lock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.