What is going on?? A SotA Leveling Guide

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Themo Lock, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Odyssey2001 When you say "I think its due to the level being a bit to high for me", then I'm afraid you're are not understanding how XP's are earned or distributed.

In the example above, those Ferocious Spiders will award your XP pool with 3250 XP's when you are responsible for their death - IF - you are not sharing experience.
    If you are sharing experience, then they will give you less, because of the party sharing.

So, it doesn't matter what Adventurer Level you are, a Ferocious Spider gives 3250 XP's when you are responsible for their death - PERIOD. That's what they're worth.

So, when you kill one - those 3250 XP's are all be applied to your XP pool. PERIOD

Every time you hit with a skill that is set to Up or Raised (however you see it) - whenever you use it - it will pull a certain amount of XP's from your pool in order to raise itself. (If you fail in the attempt, it will still pull points from your pool in order to raise itself to a - typically less - degree, as a reward for the effort).

You would be surprised how many XP's are pulled from your pool by the Innates that you've got set to raise.

But then, that's OK - because Innates are important too, as they should be...

Lock stuff, watch your pool - and play with it....
    ;)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  2. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

No its because you mis-interpreted my meaning.. I was meaning that If you miss your target more than what it gives as an XP then you end up lossing XP in the end. That's why its better to stay in within your level and not To high or too low. ( unless you party up with others that are at that level and/or GM as users can learn faster teaming up with a users with same skill set that is at a GM level.)

In the case of the spiders in the cave well, I am just too weak at the moment..Even if I did succeed somehow to stay alive long enough to defeat one spider I would have spent more than 3250 XP due to misses and what not.

If you look at one of the Questions I posted to Themo lock and Sara...Below ( just an example )
    Kill = 2000XP /number of skills available for Leveling ( Of course each skill has its own math depending on level your at as the higher you are the more XP is needed to level you up ) I think I am correct about this ?
    Question 2: Is the Amount of XP given for a kill divided equally between the skills or is it "The higher the level is" the more XP goes towards it? I would assume the latter..But since I am not sure I though I would ask :)

So you say the spiders give us 3250Xp then it would be kill=3250XP/number if skills available ( Or turned on if you wish :) ) for leveling. then there is extra math for the individual skills division as some skills level faster that others..

EG. I Have noticed for instance that the Lich increased very slowly compared to lets say the Death Ray.. so it takes more XP for the Lich skill to go from level 10 to 11 that it does for the Death Ray from Level 10 to 11.. ( Although I have yet to do an actual test to be 100% for sure and also not so sure how to test it either without having access to some kind of XP pool log )

So the end result is .. Level is depended on Base skill Leveling , Type of skill and of source Level of actually skill being leveled too..
    1: Innate skills take Much XP to level up ( There is a good reason for though and it has something to do with the hit ratio from the lower tree skills using the innate in its calculation ) ( The devs mentioned this for R24 if I remember correctly )
    2: Level to Level has an almost exponential type of calculation. It take longer to go from Level 98 to 100 than it does to go from 0 to 98..
    3: Different Skills take longer to level up than others.. ( so it takes more XP for the Lich skill to go from level 10 to 11 that it does for the Death Ray from Level 10 to 11.. )

So what to do with this info..

1: Choose a main weapon ( Polearm, double sword, staff ETC.. ) and stick with Innate skill . Until GM or like some mentioned here about Level 110..
    2: Choose about 2 or 3 skills with in that tree and once you get to that skill then turn off all others but what you wish to build up to GM.. ( Not more than 2 or 3 at a time till 70 then 1 or 2 till 100 )
    3: If you wish to choose Magic then try to choose only 2 -3 to work on but turn off the other skills mentioned in ( 2: ) except Innate combat weapon skill. ( Or your progression with be too slow )
    4: You can choose 4 or 5 in the strategy but after level 50 in that category I would turn off all ( depends on what your present character is though you may want to keep 1 or 2 ) to power push your skills of choice to level GM..
    5: Once you get 2 or 3 GM you can turn back on some of the strategy to further enhance your other skills, ( dexterity, strength, health, etc... )
    6: Start in a easy area until you can kill more than 3 or 4 at a time then move on to a harder area. ( do not stay in a too easy or too hard area ) Your XP bar should be growing and not diminishing.
    7: Crafting your own or buying from another user he crafted is best.. you can start with an Epic Suit from the store at first but gather materials fast then craft you own is best, especially a critical success item.
    8: Partying up with a player that has a GM Level in the same skill as you increases the speed of which you learn.
    9: Try to Fight Actually enemies.. Training on Gustballs for hours, or repeating a spell over and over in Owls Head is not the most efficient way of leveling up, it will actually take LONGER...
    10: Try Fighting with different players every so often, Everyone has tricks, way of doing things that may differ from the way that your party or friends use..
    11: Do all Quest as this will Level you up to about Level 40..
    12: Fighting skills are cool but Crafting skills are cool too. When you kill something skin it, Harvested it. Do not just continuously pass by things, ( especially in the beginning ).
    13: Finding loop holes and Farming tricks may be effective now but if those holes get plugged then you may find youself without a strategy to level up quickly. A 1 Innate weapon GM level can be obtained in less than a week.. 2-3 more in a month of casual playing and this is without cheating or farming with loopholes/bugs or what not that will just eventually get fixed anyways..
    14: Most important rule of all. HAVE FUN..If you are not having fun then you are not playing it right :)

Please feel free of course to correct me if I am wrong in any of the above or if I have forgotten something.. I did this fast but would like to expand on it perhaps for the future :)

3. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I found another trick ( sort of obvious actually ) Trigger and lure technique..

When you have weapon that can hit multiple targets its best to actual hit multiple targets. In some case you may be best to trigger the enemies then get them to follow you.. I am presently doing this in Deep Revenwood with the spiders.. at my present level 2 regular red spiders does not seem to advance my pool with only 3 skills turned on. I have Spinning attack at 80, Leg sweep 71, and Deflection at 93. so what I am doing is going around and triggering extra spiders and getting them to follow me then I stop and fight.. I use then the Spinning attack to hit multiple targets and leg sweep because I want to level that one up as well. When there is only one left then I just use the leg sweep and pole arm to finish off the last one..

If I was in a level four area then I would just move on to a level 5 area but since there is no level 6 ( although Forest Cave could be considered Level 6 or 7 ) I am doing this instead. ( Yes There is control points and a maybe a few other places but wanted to try this technique for now before moving on ).

Its always better to try to hit multiple targets as each target killed gives you XP points, So if you can hit more targets with the same amount of XP cost per strike then you will come our further ahead than if you only hit one target with a skill capable of hitting multiple targets. ( Another reason why its best not to use a Gustball for leveling up skills :) )

**** One thing though*** Do the strikes damage get divided among the targets? At the moment I do not thinks so but if so OR if this changes in the future then this may be something else to consider and perhaps rethink this as strategy..

If someone knows the answer to this question ( 100% ) plz post it here as it would be nice to know :) .

4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

AoE deals full damage to everything it hits, but each spell and weapon has a maximum number of targets it can affect.

5. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

But for the spell and weapon does it get divided amount the targets or does it do Full damage like AoE?
    Is the Maximum number or targets Known?

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Full damage, max number varies.

7. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Did the Devs release the Max number varies part? or is this sort of experimental at the moment :)

8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Just watch as you fight, also if you press "C" and look at your weapon it tells you how many things it can hit at once.

Tahru likes this.
  9. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Cool, I did not know about pressing "C". I will try that tomorrow. Not sure what you mean "watch as you fight", as I have never noticed anything that would indicating to me about how many things I am hitting just by watching.
    ( Although my wife always tells me I never noticed anything but that's a whole other issue entirely :) )

FrostII and Themo Lock like this.
  10. Noric

Noric Avatar

If you have the floating damage text turned on you can easily see the maximum (provided your attacks can hit more targets than that).

Themo Lock likes this.
  11. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

Just noticed this thread has it has been bumped again . Very usefull guide Themo . It will certainly help me . I assume some things have changed but usefull all the same and allways better to understand with pictures .I will have to have a proper read through these forums one day.:)

FrostII and Themo Lock like this.
  12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

This one is only a month old, i make new guides as old ones become outdated ^.^

Mordakai, margaritte, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  13. Vedrix

Vedrix Avatar

Themo thanks for the write up! Just decided to start playing now to see how it is (somewhat addicted to the game now, hope I don't burn out) and this has helped a bunch!

Mata, Tahru, Moiseyev Trueden and 5 others like this.
  14. Sir Gamy

Sir Gamy Avatar

thank you very much for the guide, helped me a lot.
    A greeting

15. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Sir Gamy, Vedrix, Themo Lock and 5 others like this.
  16. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Vedrix and Sir Gamy!

17. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    This is a fantastic guide. Now I know why I die a hundred and one times. Thank you :D

18. Vedrix

Vedrix Avatar

Hey guys I have a few questions related to levelling and training:

1) How is your gear supposed to progress as you train? I noticed on vendors I always see chainmail or plate (I'm heavy armour) but don't really see anything other than those two options. I've been wearing chain since I made my character and found a set for several hundred gold on some merchant. Should I just switch to plate now?
    2) How do stats play a roll? I assume a healthy balance between skills and stats is needed but am unsure of what that balance is. I'm moving into a 3 skull area with 27 str, 10 dex/int and realized I probably need to work on my stats a bit more. Does dex effect hit chance/accuracy?
    3) For min/maxing is it more efficient or faster to do the innate skills first, followed by the activated skills? Offensive or defensive first? What's a good working strategy. So far I've just left everything turned up but lately am realizing that the XP I get from a 3 skull area can no longer satisfy all my skills at once. I usually am empty about when I get the mob to 75% which isn't very helpful :/

Thanks!

19. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Greetings and welcome:

1. There are a couple different versions of gear available. Standard, Epic, Augmented, and Crafted. And quality goes in that order as well, with crafted being the best. From chain to plate is a personal preference. Chain has a lower fizzle rate, where as plate offers more protection. Make sure to wear all of the same style (chain or plate) to receive the set bonus.
    2. Not 100% sure but from what I can tell..
    Strength is HP/Damage
    Dexterity is Hit/Def
    Intellect is Focus/Spell Power
    3. Passives take more xp to raise. The higher the skill level the more xp to raise. I would suggest not having them all turned up at one, pick a couple that compliment your playstyle then raise them, swap to a couple more and turn off your first set. Personally I try and rotate all my skills daily with a max of 3-5 turned up at once depending the type (Regular or Passive) to avoid skill decay. And I also try and squeeze in an hour or so with all skills turned off to build up my pool, as the higher the adventure xp pool the faster you gain.

If you need anything in game let me know, I can buy you a set of augmented plate if you want to try it out, as I'm not a crafter.

Friend: Insinious Fizzlethorpe

Themo Lock, Tahru and Vedrix like this.
  20. Vedrix

Vedrix Avatar

Thanks Mordakai! Will definitely try out your rotation!

I don't think I'm in that much of a need for gear at the moment, so far the simple chain is holding up. It's also a good reason for me to continue training and not go grind mining as once I start crafting I probably wont stop ;) May have to try out plate though, once my chain breaks I'll grab a plate set, I find it's cheaper to just replace the low quality armour than repair it :p

Themo Lock and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.