1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Final Wipe and Lot Selection

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I'm one of those on the lower rung so I've thought from the beginning that I'd most likely end up in a PRT any way given all the tiers above me:). Which is why it would be nice if they'd give the PRT a little more functionality. At least some of the things a NPC town has - like a crafting NPC or something. @smack I think had some PRT points in previous posting? Might generate some interest now.

Maybe already in the works but wouldn't hurt to ask for those who are going to be ending up in PRTs.;)

2. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

How much time will there be between final wipe and marketing?

Most of us will already be starting with big advantages, and I worry that no wipes at launch is a bit one sided, and unfairly giving no consideration to those who are waiting for the official launch.

cobran and argyle like this.
  3. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

There will always be people ahead.
    Unless everyone starts at the exact same time and has the exact same playtime.
    How bout a year after launch and new content comes in and new players? same thing
    Its the nature of online games.

4. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Woohoo! This is really great news! :-D Development is literally turning the corner (even though I think of it as more of a bend). I'm super excited for SotA, and specifically, for the offline play (since my internet connection is no longer allowing me to play feasibly online).

That said, I really think every player in the land rush is going to pick NPC town locations only, unless something is done to make PRT towns more favorable locations to live. I think everyone needs to hear the plans for these towns, (please tell me there are plans), which really feel like the 'trailer parks' of New Britannia at this time.. So let me finish with this one question: Is dozens of 'trailer parks' all over the map really better than instanced housing?

Svahn, SeleneNoctua, Tahru and 3 others like this.
  5. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

All I have is my personal opinion, and I was talking about launch, not one year after launch.

amaasing, cobran and 4EverLost like this.
  6. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I think the difficult part for many of us to understand is that with this type of development, what we have come to understand as "Launch" does not really exist. Since SotA is in a continual state of development with new content being released each month, it is in a continual state of being launched. Once the final wipe occurs, we no longer have to start fresh with each batch of newly launched content.

7. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

its the same concept..
    Whether it be the time frame from final wipe to launch or launch to next milestone.
    In an online game there will always be people that are ahead, doesn't matter when it starts, so the sooner the better.
    This is so the economy can be balanced for when they do the advertisement push.

8. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

Something they need to do to understand what is meant by Location, LOCATION, location.

And they can easily see it , go to the logs see who logged in and see how many have used the higher deeds for a lesser lot just to be in a prime location, then they need to go from there :)

strabo likes this.
  9. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if down the road what people concider "prime" may end up shifting somewhere else.

Leelu, Spoon, Duchess Fionwyn and 3 others like this.
  10. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Higher level pledges squatting to sell at a profit later is absolutely going to happen. Allowing higher level pledges to select lower tier housing during the rush was a specific choice made by the devs quite a while ago, despite the clamoring of many.

Ice Queen and 4EverLost like this.
  11. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

@DarkStarr how will incremental updates of Single Player Offline affect your save game slot? Will saves be compatible for the various updates?

docdoom77, Siriustar and Ronan like this.
  12. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Yep. Although some of the tiny number of current players are getting impatient with wipes I don't expect the masses to be happy about it. But hey think of the head start we'll get.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2016
    Ice Queen likes this.
  13. agra

agra Avatar

A few scenarios come to mind..

(a) They tell their customers they will be able to ( at some point, no matter how many months down the road) enter housing hexes from arbitrary transition points (selection on zone-in)
    OR
    (b) They don't tell them of the possibility, and add it later without any warning.
    OR
    (c) They never add that functionality, nor even hint it will be possible, ever.

That leads to some possible public/customer reactions:
    in case (a) people will spread out during the land rush. Less of greed ruling the day.
    in case (b) people won't spread out during the land rush, and will cry "bait and switch" as soon as the feature is added. (both bad)
    in case (c) that's what we have now. That's what people are presuming. People will not spread out during the land rush, and greed rules the day.

The other wildcard in the game is teleportation. If the mysterious "craftable teleport items" have the same functionality as mark and recall stones, then once people find a vendor, and can recall there at any time, to the exact location inside the hex, directly, without any additional travel time, then much of this becomes moot. Why? Because then it doesn't matter where your vendor is, at all, even a little bit. Then people will just want to be in the fastest loading hexes. Of course this presumes it's (the teleportation mechanic) something everyone can use, repeatedly without temporal limits, and is cheap. If not, it's effect will be less/none.
    But as of yet, no details, so we're still stuck with (c)

14. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Are there any other differences than this planned? UI, or dialogue, or anything?

Ice Queen, gtesser, 4EverLost and 2 others like this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Good question as we shouldn't assume anything I suppose. But how could this be different than any other game that is played on Steam? Seems like this is a very VERY common feature, that saved games will not be interrupted by updates.

16. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

that went wrong way.

what I mean is, like the old schoolers are gonna rush to what, owls head? ok cool
    but what if down the line... no one really goes to owls head that much.
    thus what they thought was gonna be a really awesome vendor spot, falls flat.

suddenly some economic shift comes along and has pop flow go else where.

17. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Yes

docdoom77, Heradite, Ancev and 8 others like this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

For the sake of the regional economy, I'm hoping that any fast travel teleportation is extremely limited. It would be nice to hear more about this soon.

Ronan, 4EverLost and Miracle Dragon like this.
  19. agra

agra Avatar

That's exactly what I was referring to. It only plays out a few ways, given with teleportation, travel times is meaningless.
    Even without teleportation, the ability to cross the entire map in under 15 minutes, and more than half of it in under 5 minutes, either way it's going to be more about where in the hex you are (lot placement), rather than what NPC/PRT hex you're in.
    Ironically, optimization/performance tuning, if successful (I have my doubts) will exacerbate these issues, not make them better. :)

20. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Can someone spell out PRT please? This had been baffling me for a while. Thank you in advance. My guess is some of the smaller villages that are still npc near the cities (like kingswood near kingsport), but the acronym confounds me. Bamboozled I say... ok, just having fun with words now.

4EverLost likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.