RPOTA.COM -- Role-Players of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Elgarion, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Howdy howdy folks! I just wanted to spread a little word about RPOTA.COM for role-players interested in a venue for story telling and sharing with the overall goal to enhance in-game RP. If its been a while since you visited RPOTA, you might wanna check it out again -- you'll find many many changes and updates. Nearly every day I spend hours on the site either expanding features or creating content! And many of these changes were requested or influenced by the community!
    So, as a little tour, I'll take the time below to talk about all the offerings of the site. BUT, I wanted to make this abundantly clear. The site has no paid advertisements and is completely non-profit. Any donations accepted go entirely to funding contests and paying administrative costs. If any "extra" donations are received, it will merely increase the size of the add-on store credit prizes awarded for creativity. Also, there is no effort to grab your personal info or share it with the world -- even your logins can utilize fake names and emails if you so choose (though that will not allow auto-notifications to work properly and makes it extremely difficult to distribute monthly prizes, but if you're concerned over privacy but still wish to create content? Simply put in fake personal data.)

[​IMG]
    Features at RPOTA:
    • Embedded Content: You'll find that the primary modules at RPOTA.COM can be fully embedded into websites elsewhere on the internet. Do you have a fan or guild site and want to display a particular module on your site? Simply use the provided embed codes, each readily available to all users of RPOTA. BUT, please... do not use these modules on for-profit sites. I wish to maintain a very free-for-use atmosphere at RPOTA, and this would violate this intent. And just think, if folks take advantage of this, your RPOTA content will be visible across a much wider audience!

• Characters: The first step at RPOTA is to create a character. Not only will this allow for you to share your character biography, but you'll be able to link this character to all your subsequently created items! Adding your character also allows for other writers to link their content towards your character. So if your friend just shared an RP adventure with you, and wishes to write a story about it, they can link your character to the story so both items will cross-reference.

• Factions: Now that you've created your character, it's time to consider creating a faction. Do you have a role-playing guild (or accept role-players to your guild) and wish to add your guild to the RPOTA site? Feel free! Adding your guild to the site allows all players to link content such as stories or standings towards your faction. Why not add it in to ensure its available for folks to promote through story and interaction!

• Locations: What? You have a player-owned town of your very own? If you load the POT and its story into RPOTA, you've just unlocked the ability for all journals, stories, origins etc to be linked to your city so your location's lore can expand and grow over the years ahead through the work of others!

• Standings: Absolutely one of my favorite modules. Here, characters and factions can express their in-character standings towards other characters and factions. Is your character a nemesis to another character? Is your character hunted by a particular faction or adored by another?? Well this module is the place to express these standings. And guess what? As you accumulate these standings, your character detail view will express your average standings. Is your character admired or hated? Inspires fear or awe in others? Do people forsake or devote themselves to you? Do you inspire them or deter them from action? Do you bore them or intrigue them? Are you shunned or respected? Are you doubted or trusted? All these factors come into play, and each person may express specifically why each choice was made and provide a 10pt scale for each standing trait!

• Role-Playing Actions: Role-players can perform a multitude of RP actions to include issuing a bounty, declaring war, whispering a rumor or even making an announcement. This is a fantastic way to share a simple action with the community in 1000 characters or less whilst still being able to link it to other RPOTA.COM content. Most certainly, the Bounty Hunting possibilities intrigue me the most. Expect additional functionality for RP actions in the future as this module integrates itself into RPOTA's structure more and more with each passing month.

• Journals: Ahhhhh, here we are. The bread and butter of writing. The Journals module is a broad scoped module that embraces many types of writing, so not all are technically journal/diary type entries. Here are some of the content types available, and more can be added upon request: Article, Correspondence, Diplomacy, Dream, Event, Flashback, Lore, Map, Memoir, Mission Log, Poem, Prophecy, Report, Rumor, Trade Agreement, Transcript, and many others! And as you write these pieces, link other content items so they all interconnect. Is the journal related to several characters? Link them! Are factions involved or perhaps it took place in a particular POT that's loaded in the database, link them too! After many years of content creation we'll have a wonderful web of story and content to explore, all related to our favorite game, Shroud of the Avatar!

• Storylines: For the more ambitious writers, the storylines module allows for the creation of content that is broken up into chapters. Link these stories to all other content items to ensure the readers have access to a wide variety of additional content to read related to your storyline!

• Timeline: Also one of my favorites, the Timeline module brings things all together into a wonderful way of sharing content in chronological order! Equipped with a functional New Britannian Calendar for reference, the Timeline Module module allows you to express timeline entires related to your characters, factions, player-owned towns etc so others can view your timeline, and click over to your other content in a more logical, time-based fashion! Also, I've already loaded many actual lore entries for folks to use as a guide when deciding when to place their events into the timeline. There are also advanced search tools for this module to help you narrow down your entry searches!

• Quests: Do you like to create player-made quests? Well why not post these quests for all to see and enjoy and archive ones you've used in the past to reactivate at a later date! Currently, each quest allows for a maximum of 10 objectives, but by using each objectives interface, you can load in maps and diagrams or other pictures to enhance each objective for the quester!
    • Themes: Stuck on coming up with a story idea or adventure plan for in-game role-play? Check out the Themes Module and you'll find a very robust list of role-playing and adventure themes to utilize or receive ideas from! And if you have theme ideas of your own? Jump right in and add themes for others to use and enjoy!

• Vids: Perhaps you like to create in-game video stories or tutorials? Did you make a video which guides people though your player-owned-town? Have you documented on video the features for your guild? Why not post your video here for others to enjoy!

• ABCs: Hmmm, have you been looking for a location to upload ABCs in a fashion which shares more information about the song than a simple file-name? Perhaps your music file has meaning towards a story or character bio? Perhaps you'd like to give credit to the composer or transcriber? Either way, the ABC module is there for hosting all of your quality ABC and MML files!

• Events: RPOTA features a calendar that all can use to advertise their in-game events. Whether they be RP, PvP or simply a gathering/crafting foray, simply create your event here to let folks know what's up! Also, you'll notice I've embedded the official SOTA calendar at Avatars Circle right below it! Also, you can link these events to any other RPOTA content items to provide more information about your event, and if folks embed the calendar into their websites, this will increase the exposure to your events automatically!

• Collaboration Interfaces: So, lately I've been working very hard to provide interfaces for other community project owners to collaborate on creative writing. Not only have I created an interface for you, the creator, to communicate with these project owners, but I've also created admin interfaces for them to process any requests they might receive from the community. AND, in some cases, I've even created special embedded content on their actual websites so they can process these requests right from their own homes :p So please, whether you take advantage of these great services at RPOTA or simply by going directly to their websites, please be sure to give them a visit! The work they have provided to the SOTA community has been phenomenal, and I'm deeply honored they would consider collaborating with RPOTA!

• Discord Channels for RPOTA.COM: Please make use of the various role-playing Discord Channels provided by RPOTA for the Shroud of the Avatar Community. Here are permanent links to many of them, but once there, you'll realize many more are available to include private channels for more secretive or personal RP sessions or event planning meetings.
    • Coming Soon! RP Actions Module: Are there diplomatic actions you wish to publicize? Perhaps a rumor you would like to spread. Is it time to issue a bounty on your most hated foe? Well my friends, RP Actions are coming soon to a role-playing database nearest you!

• Coming Soon! Mobile Version for RPOTA.COM: Albeit a prototype for the mobile version is already hidden in the background, I'll soon be restarting efforts to get this finished. Once complete, the interface will automatically detect the resolution you are viewing from (mobile devices utilize smaller resolutions) then change your view to a more streamlined, low resolution view. Mobile reading is almost here!

• Coming Soon! Artwork Module: Finally, Elgarion plans to support art submissions in a new art module and also include them in all contests and spotlights. So artists, ready your brushes! Your Shroud of the Avatar related artwork is about to have a home!
    So folks, there are just some of the features at RPOTA! I really hope this garners the interest of many of the writers out there :) I look forward to helping everyone enhance their RP experience in SOTA and please... PLEASE let me know how I can improve the site to increase your interest levels! Take care, and safe journeys!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  2. Elgarion

Reserved​

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

You are a busy man and put me to shame! Thank you for sharing this news :)

4. Elgarion

Hahaha hey there Fionwyn, good to hear from you! I hope all is well :) Any thoughts yet to what your first production will be? Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

5. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Man you just jerked my tears. It is safe to say RP didn't die. It was just waiting for SOTA.

All this looks AWESOME. I love it big big kudos for the effort, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I read the part of Factions:

I wonder what factions there are out there. For example our guild is ANTI-PK and we were thinking about making our guild Order. I am curious to see as how other guilds are handling factions.

6. SinDee

SinDee Avatar

Like the reply's above I wish to also saying what a great job you did with this!

Mata, Time Lord and Elgarion like this.
  7. Elgarion

My friend, you honor me with your kind words! Feedback such as this motivates me highly, and I must say -- you've made my month. Thank you Duke William of Serenite :)

As for factions, from a role-playing perspective, you perhaps can create a faction for your entire guild, or create many factions that make up your guild if there are segments within your guild which logically do not correlate within story. In fact, there is a way at RPOTA to combine smaller factions into a single collective of factions as well. So if you find, story wise, your guild is more logically split into separate actual smaller factions, this could offer additional descriptive depth and detail in the political structures and power bases within said guild. :)

SinDee -- thank you so much! I very much hope RPOTA can serve useful to any role-players within the Drakenhof Templars! :)

William, SinDee, if you guys ever have any ideas for the site, don't hesitate to bring them up :)

Mata and Time Lord like this.
  8. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I am going to add my character and town when I get home tonight. I cant add my town until my GM gets setup.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Mata, Time Lord and Elgarion like this.
  9. Elgarion

Sounds great -- I see you added up your POT -- fantastic! I got the map made up and put in a temporary RP description of the town based on the content you loaded and the geography of the surrounding areas. Please feel free to change it at any time or ask me to alter it, I'd be happy to:

From the Spectral Peaks, the mighty and raging Atra river once descended as a torrent through the once lush Grunvald plains. Now, only barrens remain and the river runs no more for it and the surrounding lands are but dust and sand, forever changed by cataclysmic events many centuries ago. Only the most stalwart remained, a region of those with hardened souls yet bright spirits. The Order of Vengeance is dominant here, and the citizens of Serenite stand with them, strong and proud. Fear not friends, for Virtue is not lost to these people. The Order of Vengeance ushers Virtue into these lands, and the city of Serenite embodies the Virtue of Love. All who visit are welcomed at the gates with the open arms of friendship. And if thou seek refuge from the barrens, oh brave one, speak with His Grace, Duke William of Serenite, and he will surely guide thee.

If you need any assistance loading your character or faction or if you simply have ideas for the site, William, please do not hesitate to mention it!

10. Elgarion

The Themes Module is complete at RPOTA.COM :) Please keep in mind, of the 455 themes loaded, most must be revisited to make more robust, but I'll have those all elaborated upon in the coming weeks. My goal is to have a very descriptive paragraph done up for each and every one very shortly!

Also, you'll notice there is a random daily, weekly and monthly theme for us all to incorporate into our story and role-play! And in good RPOTA fashion, two versions of the Themes module can be embedded elsewhere -- the entire module or just the random themes section!

I hope you all enjoy, take care, and long live Shroud of the Avatar!

11. Elgarion

(News Update for March)

ONE OF THE LARGEST WORRIES
    I've harbored since initiating design of RPOTA.COM was a fear that efforts here would somehow hinder efforts in-game for publishing in-game books using Portalarium's amazing book system. Finally, I have thought of a new module which could encourage a wonderful cross-over between both efforts, called Collections.

Imagine that every RPOTA content creator can flag their content with a tag, "Published in New Britannia". This would indicate that somewhere deep within the realm of New Britannia, there lies a book version of the RPOTA content. Not only will RPOTA members be able to catalogue which of these works they've discovered which have been added to their own in-game libraries, they'll be able to track which ones they've yet to discover in-game. And if they find a book which isn't at RPOTA yet but wish to include it in their collection? They'll even be able to add temporary placeholders so they can truly catalogue their entire book collections in New Britannia! And if the book gets added to RPOTA later? The player will then be able to convert that placeholder entry over to the proper entry with a click of a button.

Also, as the content owner, not only will you be able to identify that your work is published deep within the fantastical world in-game, you'll even be able to leave a clue or hint as to where it might be. It could be a riddle or merely a reference to a character which might know of its location (to be revealed through RP hopefully), or perhaps its simply a message that states which vendor sells the volume and for how much. And as the collector, you'll be able to attach a note to your collectible which could include a great number of things, such as a reminder of how you obtained it or perhaps notes related to your current efforts to find the volume.

But hopefully, this system will inspire everyone to publish their RPOTA works in-game and to leave a crumb trail as to where the libram can be discovered so all can add the book to their library of collectable in-game works! The ultimate goal will allow each player to catalogue every book they collect and ensure that you don't miss out on even the tiniest bit of lore as your collections expand.

And lastly, my favorite comment I tend to receive from those also sharing similar worries of how RPOTA impacts in-game publications... "But if I publish my work at RPOTA, won't that spoil the fun for reading it in-game? Isn't it less immersive?" My friends, this is also a huge worry of my own, hence my immense joy to have thought of this module. AND, if that is a concern of yours, I ask that you simply leave the start of a crumb trail at RPOTA--a little teaser which entices the reader to search for your book. Perhaps the first paragraph... perhaps a summary... AND, on that note, I'M VERY HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE that if you ensure Elgarion De'Kahli (that's me) receives a copy of the book in-game, I'll be sure to read the start of your story here at RPOTA and finish it up in-game to ensure you are FULLY eligible for all RPOTA contests! That's right, if you can point me and other RPOTA users to your work in-game, you are fully eligible for the monthly contests!

Thanks so much for your support so far. I'm super excited about this new module. I hope it brings the player created SOTA books and RPOTA much closer together! And as always, if this inspires some ideas -- please let me know! I haven't started design of the module yet, so now's a great time to provide some input.

Take care, friends!
    Rick/Duke Elgarion De'Kahli
    Dedicated SOTA Fan #1,257,532

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  12. Elgarion

(removed, no longer applicable -- RPOTA now utilizes the SotAHelp.org Web Resource Page)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  13. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Elgarion, you continue to amaze me with your dedication and innovative ideas! This is a great initiative for the whole community - bravo!!!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  14. Elgarion

Very kind, thanks Asclepius!

Time Lord and Mata like this.
  15. Elgarion

Hello folks -- thought I'd share each month's grand prize (art commission) since the start of the contests in October of 2015, can you guess who they are or what the logo is for?

(By the way, they're all art commissions provided by Tortoise & Hare Creations, creators of the Shroud of the Avatar Comic book... the artist is Indi Martin).

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  16. Mata

Mata Avatar

Congratulations to all winners! :)

Great artwork/picture!

I will try. ;)

1) Ulfberht
    2) Gabriel Nightshadow
    3) Ender Andrew
    4) Amber Raine
    5) Womby

17. Elgarion

Wowzers -- perfect 4.99/5

(That's Ender's character, Erik O'Connor. Also, the logo was requested by Womby but made for TheCaverns.net -- but close enough!)

Hehhee, thanks for playing! You rock, Mata! You get to play again next month! :p

18. Mata

Mata Avatar

Thank you, Elgarion! :)

Sure! ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Elgarion

Apru 2016 in Retrospect...
    Welcome to this month's RPOTA news update! With another monthly contest upon us, please take the time to enjoy the entries, new and old, which were inspired by this month's contest theme, "The Immortality of the Avatar!" Contest deadlines are always on the last hour and minute and day of the month, so get them in quick or miss out on a chance for some wonderful prizes! If you have ideas for the site or wish to read through all the updates which have ensued since last month, be sure to read about them at our Suggestions & Updates forum!

Something that was a little new for good ol' Elgarion is that I got to partake in a live stream over with the folks at LegionofMyth.com! LoM is a wonderful gamers community for anything tabletop to video game. Quite the exciting opportunity for me, and their host, Al "Garthon" Marsh, who'll likely be joining us here in the SotA Community sometime in the coming months if not sooner, posed a wonderful array of questions and topics for me to answer. Check it out! The live stream is linked right in the Vids Module at RPOTA!

One last little reminder to check out the interviews at Wake Up New Britannia. I am in no way the most significant interviewee there, but Woftam was so very kind to offer a chance for me (Rick / Elgarion) to conduct an interview so the community might get to know me a little better. If you're interested in hearing a little more about the admin for this site or many other community members or developers, head on over to their fanTASTIC website and enjoy the enlightening conversations!

SO... I've recently become involved with another project. It's not going to be announed officially for a few days, but I don't think it'll matter if I announce it slightly early here at RPOTA :) It's a collaborative project between many active community leaders and helpers called the Hospitaller program. You may or many not have already noticed that Hospitaller is available as a new title in the game. The purpose of this title? To highlight who's currently flagging themselves as a new player helper. And how are we going to stay organized and all on top of our efforts? SotaHelp.org. That's where I come in -- I'm currently developing this site for the project. So... as I was about to lead with but instead decided to follow with... improvements to this sight will slow down for the month of April. I PROMISE I will be back in full force making sweeping changes and adding functionality as soon as I'm able. Each and every night is devoted to SOTA at my end. Well... except the nights the girl friend demands of me :p BUT in any case... RPOTA projects will be coming soon. And if you're curious what the next project just might be? Scroll down and read the Marse News... Collections!!!

APRU CREATION CONTEST! Here ye! Here ye! Biographers, Historians, Diplomats, Journalists, Story Writers, Quest Designers, Videographers and Musicians! RPOTA is in dire need of your amazing talents! Role-Players of the Avatar is hosting a monthly contest to award those most famous with their quill, camera, piano or lute!

[​IMG]

APRU CREATION CONTEST WINNERS have been selected! Please take some time to congratulate our winners below and show some appreciation for their fine work and creativity!

Congratulations to the winners for Apru! I look forward to seeing more exciting content in the months to come!

Well my friends, please please sit back and enjoy the new content at RPOTA! I very much look forward to your submissions, and I hope much happiness comes your way in the month of Apru! I'll have the contest winners announced likely around Maia 10th or thereabouts.

Take care, friends!
    Rick/Duke Elgarion De'Kahli
    Dedicated SOTA Fan #1,257,532

20. Elgarion

Hey folks -- just finished a project that was put aside for SotAHelp.org work -- and finally I'm back to finishing it!

RPOTA.COM now has SotAMap integration for the Locations module. @Jakub White really helped out a ton by providing us an ad-free view of SotAMap as well as a list of POI#'s for all the embed codes! Many thanks good sir, and I hope SotAMap is always here for the community to use and cherish. It is by far the best map website for a video game I've ever experienced!

And not only did I create links to the embedded content in a location's detail view, but right in list view you can access the applicable SotAMap.com content :)

Many more locations are coming, and RPOTA will be one again getting more frequent love as I alternate between SotAHelp.org and RPOTA.COM projects. After another single update to SotAHelp, I'll be right back to RPOTA for a large project -- Collections!!! So after Collections, when I return again to RPOTA after another SotAHelp update, I'll be touring the world to do another wave of locations to add to the database.

Don't forget to add your POT's to help in this endeavor!

Thank you and see you soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.