Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The boats from Hidden Vale to Novia need tolls.

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Grave Dragon, Feb 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

A quick note to Moderators and Players: Whether anyone "likes" the idea of regional economies or not is outside the scope of this thread's topic so please don't post to voice your opinion on fast travel or regional economies. Those posts are off-topic. Regional Economy is in fact an intentional mechanic implemented by the devs and this post is only and specifically to point out a few specifc implemented features which are counterproductive to the devs intent.

Moderators, please delete those posts as you feel appropriate.

@DarkStarr

The boats between Ardoris and Hidden Vale, both on the overland map and within the towns, provide instant transportation/access between two independent economic regions without a control point.

This provides an advantage over living in all other regions since they do not have a control point seperating them, they need to be subject to the same toll you're forced to pay if you want to instantly bypass the control point that is between all the other economic regions.

Also, all boats and lunar rifts need to be checked to ensure they prevent travel in the same way runes and recall/Teleports do, by refusing travel to overweight characters.

Finally, the control points (and I've only seen extensive testing in east reach gap) seem to simply spawn continously waves of mobs instead of allowing a guild to "take" a control point allowing free unrestricted trade for a predetermined duration afterward. Eastreach Gap was held by approx 1-2 dozen players for at least 30 minutes and there was never an end to the mob spawns. Does the CP require constant occupation to allow transport of goods or is a switch still missing where the guild "wins" and the CP opens up with zero mob spawn to allow unrestricted trade for a set duration afterward? In other words are CPs currently working as inteded?

If it's a constant battle to hold a CP, I think it will be abused by having a few players aggro the first wave of low level mobs and keep them alive/tank them while people transport goods safely. This would prevent the increased difficulty mobs from spawning and mitigate risks which again is not the intended functionality of the CP. I'd recommend increasing the difficulty of wave 1 mobs and removing the aggro table of all ranged mobs in these zones to prevent that abuse. Also please set a timer for all new waves of mobs instead of requiring the first wave be killed off before the next spawns.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

Does the Hidden Vale have access to or an abundance of some resource other control areas do not? This of course being one of the major reasons to divide and have control points, and possibly making this a more pressing concern.

And if so, a flat toll would not work because unlike every other control point there wouldn't be a non pay option to pass through. What you would need is a nautical control point scene that you can fight/walk through just like the others that also includes a fast pass pay option.

3. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Both regions seperated by the boats have level 1-100 leveling zones and major cities with the opportunity for heavy player population. That's enough reason to seperate them from becoming a single centralized commercial go-to for worldwide travelers which is exactly what owls head is now.

Mekong, Sawtooth and SeleneNoctua like this.
  4. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I so disagree with this perception. A control point is that, simply to control the flow of traffic. I don't like to be controlled in RL , why would I beg to be subjected to additional control points in my game play. I don't mind a toll at all, it is a given for usually all waterway traffic. However, if you start to control every finite area of foot traffic with control points, no one will budge. You can go over board with restrictive elements to game play. You have to be reasonable to a large playing field not just one element of it.

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Why would a boat let you take passage without a fee?
    They wouldn't and shouldn't.

Why would a lord let you use a bridge without a toll?
    They wouldn't and shouldn't.

Mordakai, Mekong, Moonshadow and 7 others like this.
  6. Selene

Selene Avatar

I think a toll makes a lot of sense for the boat on the overland map. However, control points can be "run through" by low level players with limited gold. So I would suggest that if someone runs through the ajoining cities (Kingsport and Ardoris, in this case) there should be no toll for the boats inside the scene. This will also increase foot traffic to Kingsport, which is often completely overlooked.

7. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I agree with the intent, but there isn't risk of death associated with the travel as there is through control points. Bandits maybe?

I also liked @Retlaw 's suggestion of an alternate water scene that forces you to physically travel.

I'd like to see people trying to lead themselves or a pack animal across a river infested with aligators and corpions.

Either way, travel across the ocean without toll would be a death sentence in medieval times.

Jivalax Azon and Sawtooth like this.
  8. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

I think there are two topics of discussion here. Should the boat have a fee, and should it be a control point.

As @Spoon suggested I'd have no complaint with a nominal fee for the sake of travel alone. But if this was to be an actual control point as @SeleneNoctua suggested and I stated there should also be an no cost alternative as there are in all other control points.

@Grave GodsHammer I don't know about a river but in this particular case maybe a large cargo ship you would have to travel across defending from pirates.

9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I would advise again implement this feature until we have player boat feature implemented first.

10. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

I read it as "trolls" .. lol

I think that the boat should take 5-10 mins and have a schedule. If you took the boat you go into a scene with everyone that took it and where mobs and bandits can attack the ship along the way :)

FFXI did this really well with its ships and airships that had schedules to take you to other regions, made the world feel real and alive in a way, and the chance at killing some rare mobs, one boat trip had a chance at a boss spawning :p

11. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Why is the boat still at Ardoris when the Hidden Vale is apparently located North of Novia? Where is the boat in the North that can take you to the Hidden Vale?

12. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

I thought it was south?

Leelu and Grave GodsHammer like this.
  13. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Port Graff and just north of Beran's Reach I'd hope. You're right though it's depicted differently depending on the map you're looking at.

Sawtooth likes this.
  14. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

yea without /stuck and a limited /zone curious what will happen to owls head.

But I feel that the hidden Vale almost needs a full overhaul of its level scaling. I mean why should it have such a range of mobs in such a small area?
    I know it was the original "world" before they added Novia so its built as an entire world set up. But in a story aspect, where does it fall in line?
    If it isn't a starter srea anymore why should it have starter leveled areas? if I find it at level 40+ all the low level areas there are pointless pretty much. idk..

Mordakai, Leelu and Grave GodsHammer like this.
  15. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Im hoping all regions hold a wide range of leveling areas like that and we are eventually given an option on where we want to start the game seperate from our principal (love, truth, courage) selection. It strengthens the value of each region as an independent entity and the desire to live and play there. (And enforces the need for consistent CPs.)

I want to be "born and raised" in Drachvald.

Solazur, Mekong and Sawtooth like this.
  16. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

yea after I wrote that I thought about it a little, I guess I can dig that

Solazur, Leelu and Grave GodsHammer like this.
  17. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

According to sotamap.com it travels from Ardoris but your right you would think there would be a dock nearer.

I have said before we should get charged for boat travel . It is a good point though that you can run through control points for free. Maybe you could have to pay for the boat travel or try to stow away on board for nothing and run the risk of being caught and sent back to your original location to start again. Another idea could be if you dont pay you sail on a cheaper ship and it could have a risk of sinking killing your character and returning you that way as there would be no ank at sea :).The same should happen with control points there should only be an ank at the point you entered the scene to prevent ghosting through them.

just some ideas.:)

Grave GodsHammer likes this.
  18. Noric

Noric Avatar

The housing situation in Hidden Valley makes this unacceptable in my mind. There are what, all of 6 row lots outside of PoTs on the entire island? Even if homes aren't used for zone points as they are now, they are about the only way to store large quantities of items. It takes me 2.5 trips of farming to fill my entire bank full of scrap and I spent over 100k expanding it.

Leelu likes this.
  19. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

True enough but sotamap is just showing what Port has done and does not dictate the map. Port needed a link between the two land masses and I think this boat is just leftovers of convenience as opposed to a planned process. If Aerie had been the first town in Novia I'm sure the boat would have been placed there.

This boat at Ardoris is plausible if there is something special about the Hidden Vale that a major city would want a shipping lane to it. Is Hidden Vale special?

More likely would be a boat near Brittany.

Grave GodsHammer likes this.
  20. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Its a good point but HV isnt a starter zone, so row lots arent as necessary.

On the other hand, Hidden Vale has the leveling and mob availability to support a toll even for players if they happened to start there at level 1.

If you can fill your bank with loot with only two and a half trips to a leveling zone, you shouldn't be concerned with a toll. An hour in Greymark Forest can net a decent player 6k gold.

Sawtooth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.