Skill Gains, Experience Pools, Training . . . . Some explanations and Videos :-)

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Weins201, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

A recent change was made that basically made a balance between Experience Gained and Experience Points used in training to basically balance out those two to make it similar to what players will see upon launch when there is Normal Experience Point Gains and Points used for Training.

I have just gone out with a Mid Level Character and one Skill at the 80 Point level to show you all some simple skill control and Experience Point management.

Player who are Losing more then they are gaining are, Over Training, or they are fighting creature way to low for their skill level and therefore just not balancing out.

I have chose to fight the BEST monster for Experience Point gains , BY FAR.

True I used a out of balance pet but I am just trying to simply show you all about simple skill management and how it will affect your training, experience points.

If you fail to understand these simple mechanics you will at some point in your game play reach a point where you will work your pool down to 0 and then only be able to train a very limited number of skills.

Why because once you kill something, what little points you just gathered will be very VERY quickly spent on a lot of skills spread across a wide area.

If you focus those skills you can train a skill specifically and gain exp points and have more over time, and when you turn more skill set to train they will again eat up those points quickly.

ATM there is the ability to lock ALL your skills just to increase your pool, something they are working at preventing :) But as a result of that mechanics now players can gain exp then just run home and beat on a gust ball to train:-( (( This is another issue all together, One I am diametrically opposed to))

First one is my Skills / Deck / Etc.

Second one is first fight with a Net Gain of Exp - the level 80+ Skill in Bludgeons Locked . . . .

Third fight is a "Net Loss" ( you are not actually losing those points you are using them to train a skill, but in the end you have less Exp than you started with) of Exp - the 80+ skill in Bludgeons Unlocked . . . . .

All I did was change one (ONE) skill to gain which used a % of my pool. ONE Skill :)

In the end player are going to HAVE to learn how to Manage your Skills or your play will become very, VERY tedious and become none productive.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

You can leave your level 80 skill unlocked if you wish and your experience pool will not deplete. As your pool drops, it will use less and less experience per skill use and slow down your skill gain in all of your skills but your pool will not depelete and skill gain will not stop. It will simply level off at a lower value.

Another tip: If you use auto attack isntead of the charged attack, you will drain your experience pool quicker.

Good videos.

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@EMPstrike
    Not sure how you can say this -
    and begin the next sentence with this -
    I am guessing that when you say deplete - you mean completely exhaust or empty the pool.
    However, even that would be incorrect.

Now that part is true.

But then you go on, once again, to say -
    Any time you use a skill successfully and that skill is set to gain, you will put points into that skill. Those points can only come from one place - your xp pool.
    If you do not kill something to increase your pool, and you continue to use a skill that is set to gain - at some point you will use up (deplete completely) all of your pool. ;)

Fister Magee, Time Lord and Whonnock like this.
  4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

correct

Also correct. I was adding onto what wiens said so i assumed the fact that you had to keep killing stuff was understood.

If you keep killing things, with that levle 80 skills unlocked as shown in the videos weins posted, your experience pool will not deplete.

Net, Time Lord and Whonnock like this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You missed something in the video - A Net LOSS of skill points, I did NOT in the end, with that ONE skill difference, increase my skill points I actually LOST some. Yes ended up with less points than I started with so over time you will end up with zero experience points.

That was why one fight had a Net Gain - ended with more points than I started with

and

the other was a "Net Loss" ( you didn't really lose points you used more than you gained, and for the mathematically challenged that is a "Net Loss") - ended with LESS points than I started with.

Please do not try and confuse players.

I clearly showed how one (ONE) skill above 80 can result in overall "NET LOSS" (remember you used them did not actually Lose them but you are ending with less than you started) of experience points. If you manage y more skills and unlock ONLY that one skill sure you could offset the use BUT. . . . .

Fister Magee, Time Lord and Whonnock like this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Your skills will eat up less experience when it drops. I did the same thing and jsut let it roll down, i unlocke dmy 3 lvl 8- skilsl and let it roll. Your skills wont eat up as much experience when your pool drops lower and it will reach a new equilibrium.

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The further your pool drops, the less experience your skills eat per use. at 13k exp in your pool, all of your skills onlty eat about half of what they eat when you have 30k experience in your pool. Try it again and leave the skill on while you kill that thing a buncha times and you should see your experience maintain at a lower level, but not fully deplete

For example, my lvl 30ish sprint skill was usign 124 experience per use with 30k experience in my pool.

With 15k experience in my pool, it was using up 64 or 65 experience per use.

8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

To any who think that you will not nd up with zero experience that is your choice (it is technically true) but the FACT is when you are over 80 or at the point where skills start to use a percentage remember this.

At that point the skill (the one above 80 or using %) of poll will take an average of .15% of your pool - at 2.4 million that is roughly 4K exp pet use.

So at 10k exp - only 16 points so in the end EMP is right you will NEVER use all your points, BUT you are also not gaining anything worth your time since at level 80 it take 50k - 300k to gain a level depending on the skill. So you are probably better off just locking it as you will take 3125 uses to go up a level :)

Time Lord and Whonnock like this.
  9. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

~ bangs his head against a wall ~

~ bleeding on the ground he feebly whispers in between gasps ~

"You can't lose exp training skills... you can only lose exp from decay or untraining... otherwise you are just allocating exp to your skills... having a pool is not the point so draining the pool to your skills is not a loss..."

~ Having spent his pooled up mental exp he turns into a wisp and flitters away ~

To move exp.
    To allocate exp.
    To spend exp.
    To enjoy exp.
    To convert exp.

Using the word loss or lose will just make people think they are losing exp during a normally functioning process!

10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yas you guys ^^ yas.

11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

adjusted so as to not mislead :rolleyes:

Time Lord, Whonnock and Kvow Triumvir like this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Here is an explanation about skills above 80 - - -

understand that when the skill you are training hits the point where it starts taking a % of your pool that percentage was 1 / 10 th of a percent. Therefore with a pool of 2.4 million points that equated to 4k experience per use and with 10k pool, 16 (Sixteen) points a use. It is now 4x more .

Now for my taming skill which took a total of 100k exp to go from 99 - 100 that would be a total of 25 uses to gain a level with 2.4 million point in your pool and 6250 uses to gain the same level with only 10k points in your pool. Also remember if for some reason you don't use the skill it doesn't use points.

Basically you would NEVER gain a level with 10k experience points in your pool. You may succeed in leveling but . . . . .

Your pool will most likely not go to zero very fast but . . . (It can and does eventually go to 0, we have proven it, with 2 chars and only the high level skill being trained AND USED.)

Now with the 4x boost recently put in 4/10th of a percent that equate to 15k at 2.4 mil and only 64 points at 10k, it still take 100k to go from 99 - 100 but will take only 7 uses at 2.4 million points in your pool but still 1563 uses with only 10K points in your pool. This percentage is pretty consistent but does also get slightly smaller the smaller you pool gets.

Again you will most likely not deplete your pool very fast but your will also most likely not succeeded in leveling these skills in any practical time frame .

Knowledge is power and now you know you can keep a pool while training high level skills but . . . . .

Time Lord and Whonnock like this.
  13. wardgom

wardgom Avatar

Where is everyone getting 2.4 million xp points? It's hard to keep my pool above 20k.....

14. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I had close to 3 million xp in my adventurer pool at one point, it was due to XP being carried over from previous wipes - so if I put in a lot of effort into building my characters in previous releases, after a wipe my new character would get the 4x multiplier for a long time until the accumulated xp had been regained... new players aren't experiencing this because you've just started playing. I think the 4x multiplier will go away after R32/final wipe but not sure?

Rested xp multiplier is standard in WoW .. not sure how many other games have it. It's a method to help casual players catch up to more active players.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Going by recent posts, it almost sounds like managing learnt skills has become metagame... A not-very-fun metagame... Hopefully the final release will have more bells and whistles, or ui feedback, to help streamline that skill management at high levels imo.

16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes: What He Said +1

I need a college degree in gaming skills? o_O
    ~Time Lord~:confused:

Acred and mikeaw1101 like this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

C'mon guys, seriously?

Here's all you need to know:

Any/all skills that you want to raise, point them UP.
    Go out and kill stuff with those skills - which puts xp points in your pool.
    As long as you have xp's in your pool, and you use those skills - they will raise.

How hard is that?

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes: That's what I want to hear before buying a game *thumbs up* !:D!
    Thanks @FrostII ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Mata, FrostII and mikeaw1101 like this.
  19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

training information

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Almar

Almar Avatar

Excuse me folks, I'm trying to get my head around how skill leveling works having stalled a bit and while this thread has been very useful, I am being a bit dim because I can't seem to see where my experience pool is or how many points are in it.

In an earlier patch there was a bar across the bottom of the screen indicating xp pool, but it appears to be missing now.

Basically - can anyone tell me how to locate the darned thing!

Thank you - and apologies for the noob question!

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.