Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Disapointed in how bright night is now

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by fireflygirl, Feb 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

+infinity

Too dark is an issue that cannot be overcome. People cannot turn up brightness more when it is too dark to see. We can turn down brightness when it seems too light and lose all the detail we want. Better to error on too bright than too dark.

Quenton and agra like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

For the love of the Oracle, please:

/bug your issue since it will contain your specs and /loc (and time of day) in the game, but also provide:
    monitor brightness %
    monitor contrast %
    monitor gamma value
    in-game brightness slider %

Also a screenshot if possible.

And one day, the devs will include a gamma-corrected "if you can see this text it's too bright" type image in-game along with better brightness and gamma controls and scale/range.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  3. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

@smack, screenshots don't reflect the brightness of the screen. They only reflect what was in vRAM when you hit the keys. It looks the same when viewed on the same monitor, but as soon as you display it on another monitor - completely different. Sadly to show what people are seeing they would need to take a picture which presents a complete other set of issues with glare, flash, exposure length and on and on.

Can't hurt to provide the other items you suggested in addition to make/model.

Your final suggestion is great, but then how many average people do you imagine actually use that and then adjust their monitors when they work just fine for everything else they are doing? About the same number of people that actually run the THX diagnostics before playing a DVD....I reckon.

Quenton, stratigos and smack like this.
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I've turned off some of the video settings like shadows and camera effects to reduce lag and as a side effect I can now see at night unless I crank down the overall brightness.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  5. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

For those of you who are still debating on if you can or cannot see in the dark in real life, here is something interesting for you to watch.

I don't think you can get more tree cover and less moonlight/starlight/planetoids/fireflies/ect than testing inside of a concrete building... Maybe for the guys who can't see when they go out in the night time an eye patch should be invested.

/sarcasm

All in good fun. On topic, like I stated before, everything is configuration based.. if you can't see right now adjust your your monitor, computer, and game settings a little. Prior to this patch I personally made my screen as bright as I could, adjusted computer settings, changed what I could in game, messed with gamma and all it achieved was white washing my screen. This has been a MAJOR improvement.

~Wodin

6. agra

agra Avatar

As has been mentioned by others, I don't have to make adjustments to gamma, brightness, profile settings, or anything like that for any other game I play. None. Not one. In every other game, I just play, and it's bright enough, and everything is great.
    As Shroud is the only game where I have these problems, I conclude the problem is with Shroud, not with my monitor, drivers, settings, or operating system.
    To re-iterate, in my opinion, if the intent is that everyone uses night vision, that's great, let us put it on items, or make long duration potions, or increase the base duration of the buff by 2-10 times.
    Then at least there's a viable non-annoying option or alternative to logging out or simply not playing at all, which I must admit, I too have done because the annoyance factor is too high, at night sometimes.

Bluefire and Xandra7 like this.
  7. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

Are you saying in this current state it's still too dark? While I do hear what you're saying on how you do not have to change setting on other games, it's clearly shrouds fault, and I understand what you mean. The main problem with this logic is that other games are not necessarily the same environment; art assets, engine, technology, mechanics when compared to shroud. Sure some of these may be similar but no other game has the exact mix of shroud so certain things will be represented differently. To put this another way; If we are standing next to each other, and you're cold, but I'm warm, that doesn't make it the weathers fault for being too cold. Just because you've never had to wear a jacket in all the places you've traveled does not mean you can withstand the cold of the north.

The one thing that truly makes this a client problem is the wide variable range of peoples problems. One person cannot see at all, the next says it's too bright, another says it's perfect; This is all happening in the same environment. Perhaps the techniques of that Port are using to handle lighting are just so volatile that it creates this huge discrepancy between clients, I don't know.

Honestly as long as they give us the appropriate settings to be able to change the brightness to a reasonable degree I would be happy. I really couldn't care any less on how bright or dark you make your game as long as I can play without having to /afk as soon as the sun goes down. Bottom line is I cannot use a torch or sun spells or night vision when I'm dead. The game is not fun trying to stumble back to a rez point in a dark dungeon if the games pitch black.

~Wodin

Fister Magee and Moonshadow like this.
  8. agra

agra Avatar

I've seen responses like this over the past three years, and they do exactly one thing, from my perspective. They validate or excuse poor design choices and poor implementations.
    Portalarium could make night time a bit brighter. They could make the night vision buff/light buff last longer. They could increase the radius of the light buff. They could put long duration night vision potions into the game. They could allow night vision to be imbued into crafted jewelry as a permanent effect.

That they continue to choose not to, to me, offers two possible explanations. a) it's working as intended or b) it's not a priority to fix.
    If it's a) then they don't care (or care less/little) about attracting a larger demographic. If it's b) then it's a resourcing concern and might be fixed eventually. Of those two, I really hope it's b). :) Otherwise, we're just looking at yet another demonstration of pointless hubris.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  9. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

Honestly I think this is a grey area where the developers cannot win. You can call it poor design or implementation, but no two people will agree on what the perfect lighting is. Someone want functionality, some want a dark medieval feel, others want realism. The only solution to make the majority happy is to open up what the settings encompass so we can change it how we like.

~Wodin

10. smack

smack Avatar

Given the extreme reactions from both ends of the spectrum, it's safe to say that nobody knows what the game should look like -- it's all just guesses. I'll bet that if they ever implement the "if you can see this text it's too bright" type in-game rendered image for brightness/gamma correction, there will be many players who thought the game was "perfect" in terms of darkness might realize that their settings were too bright. Likewise, there will be many others who will find out there's nothing they can do with their monitor, display properties, or (current) in-game settings that will ever allow them to make it bright/dark enough as intended, let alone personal preference.

That's where we're at right now, and the devs need more data points (/bugs, perhaps) to fix the lighting issues and to extend the in-game settings to allow for greater flexibility so it looks not only as intended, but above or below that -- to a certain degree -- for personal preference. I think the debates are being muddled about design when some of it, or perhaps most of it, is due to technical issues.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  11. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

whats really lacking is a way to use the darkness to your advantage, current mechanics nullify using the darkness as your ally, you can't hide in it but you sure can get lost in it .....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.