Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Beaming into scenes?

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

+1 for this

CrazyPhil, Leelu and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  2. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I had the same impression. The animation is nice , but i also felt it does not fit to the game.
    The un-vulnerable animation could be something like a magic shield or so. I also would like to see a fast animation to run into the scene. Nice idea!

Leelu, Sara Dreygon and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

o_O~Our Steam Punk Reality of SOTA Zen~:confused:
    As bazaar as our SOTA world is, I take it as being in a dream about being in a video game, which causes me to make a bridge between the real and unreal, where I doubt and wonder about everything around me. "It's not the real world, or is it?"

Once there was a monk named Chou who dreamed he was a butterfly. He was happy as a butterfly flying wherever he wanted go. Then Chou suddenly awoke and found himself as Chou once more, but couldn't tell if he was Chou who had dreamed he was a butterfly, or as a butterfly, he was now dreaming he was Chou.
    Some 5000 years ago :rolleyes: this story was called, "The Transformation of Beings" in China...

I know I keep trying to stretch my mind into our gaming reality and see it as a reality, yet every time I am in a game where there's so much attempt by the creators to create a reality based world, "I always know that I'm in a video game, no matter how real to life any game is". That's why I find that after wrapping my head around this beaming into scene thing, I now find it better than any attempt after watching a loading screen to depict it as walking into a real scene, and now look at it as the next dream within my gaming dream.

There's nothing real about video games and that holds true for SOTA. Yet every attempt to make an orange taste like an orange inside a video game will always never be anything like eating an orange. "I can imagine and dream along with the video game that I am eating it", yet that's much like reading a book where some character inside the story is eating one also. SOTA doesn't seem to lie about being a dream world, because it is one. Steam Punk, or a magic box that wants to eat you? Get real?... No, step into the dream... because a dream world within video games is far better than any game attempting to be real.

It's always one thing to believe that we could ever make a video game real and quite another to make it seem like a dream...
    As for me, "I'll keep the dream because it provides a cool way of transitioning from a loading screen into any scene".

If you think we can stay close to reality, it's you that is dreaming outside the video game, because I believe that our SOTA will be stretching that dream world allot further into our future with bazaar things we in our real life ever have dreamed of.

It's unlike any other gaming world, it's unique...
    "Is it real? Is it a dream? or is this SOTA?"
    I think I just woke up :eek: and dreamed I was Chou :confused:
    ~Time Lord~o_O

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Bluefire, FrostII, Leelu and 2 others like this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Very nice story, but yea I hope its a placeholder, make it dreamy all you want but then make it artistic and not so easy :)

Leelu, smack and Time Lord like this.
  5. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Maybe an emote instead of a beam might make everyone happy.

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~The Truth?~:oops:
    :eek: It's the only way I can handle the truth :(
    ~Time Lord~
    :D

Leelu likes this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

If the stories weren't true, then we'd forget them :)

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  8. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Yeah i don't like the progressive appearance of my character upon entering a scene. I'd like something in the lines of Noric suggestion.

Time Lord, Leelu and Sara Dreygon like this.
  9. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

Visually I like the effect ... that said, it's a disaster waiting to happen in PvP scenes.
    I understand that you're invulnerable while you're materializing, but you're quite visible so a few PKs (as opposed to their honorable brethren) can sit on the entry area and as soon as you materialize they start root/stun/etc. before you can load your combat deck you're half dead.
    Not good

Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  10. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

For the PvP zones, there should be truce regions at the entrances. Or, if you want to make it a bit more hilarious, take a page from Red Dwarf and have the entrance regions implement the Justice Field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_(Red_Dwarf)

11. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Since it began with the falling of sporadic meteors, I am guilty of assuming it was a residual visual due to the impact on our atmosphere. I assumed this because we are still a relatively new world and it made sense to me that something like a meteor would impact our world some way or another. :D:oops:

Time Lord likes this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I commented on this in the other thread. The teleport in the scene definitely doesn't make sense; but I don't think it makes sense to see the wave of blue energy every time you enter a town or exit the map either.

If it is necessary to make people invulnerable, I think its something people will figure out even if there is no visual effect.

I'm not sure why mobs are at the entrance to the scene to begin with? They shouldn't be.

Unless we're talking about someone aggro'ing them there, but they're pretty good at leashing, and also usually aren't so clustered around you that you can escape back through the exit if you're overwhelmed.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I've logged into scenes before with mobs lurking near the entrance. Some fine tuning needed perhaps but I think the intention was that you couldn't just run to the exit and expect them to leesh back and you'd be safe..

I think what they've done now is that your character isn't even visible to anyone (including yourself) until your client has verified the scene is fully loaded..

Whether or not the visual is necessary I suppose depends on your school of thought.

FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I thought the visual effects were cool at first.

But from a lore perspective, I agree it is not apparent why one 'beams in.' Perhaps it also underscores that one is zoning into a scene, which is undesirable.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek:~The Distract Skill~:cool:
    I was able to take a skills trainer and take him out of a building all the way to the rear of the building, thus having his hidden from other player. I replaced him back after my experiment, yet the Distract Skill could be used to block an entrance with a mob.
    The NPCs are "zoned" where they will only go so far outside their normal placement, yet those zones near the entrances of combat places may be in need of some better zone restrictions.
    Distract is a nice skill to have in our game, yet there needs to be safeguards to prevent grief related issues such as blocking... or maybe not?
    I think entrance zone restrictions are needed.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

16. Cherico

Cherico Avatar

The effect looks nice, but inappropriate - it looks really like Scotty beams me up (or down) ;)

agra and Time Lord like this.
  17. Gix

Gix Avatar

While the visuals don't fit, what bothers me the most is that I can't control my character until the effect dissipates. Like: "Hey congrats, you finished loading... now wait some more!"

Quenton, agra, Kvow Triumvir and 2 others like this.
  18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I kind of like jumping effect when you use an ankh, sort of like you're jumping out of ghost-land, but I don't like the jumping/falling when you're walking between scenes. It just feels so anti-immersive.

19. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

I believe, based on @DarkStarr 's comments, that jumping/falling between scenes shouldn't be happening.

20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

There's lots of "magic" in this game.

Dragons that fly, trolls that throw boulders, avatars that cast fireballs, moon towers, etc.

I don't mind the "look" they added with this "momentary invulnerability" thing (hey, it's no better or worse than a fire spitting dragon or a moon tower), it's the addition of the momentary invulnerability itself that irks me the most.
    In spite of the official "word" on the subject, I believe that it was added purely as an "anti-gank" PvP control - and certainly not for being mobbed by NPC mobs when entering a scene (which is exceedingly rare, btw).
    That is why it irks me.

I don't care one diddly-squat about things PvP related, so naturally I cringe each and every time I notice PvP game additions/modifications that obviously took many dev manhours to complete.
    That's dev's time away from the rest of the game, and it's the rest of the game that interests me.

Now and moving forward the dev's have so much left to do - to get us to a game at release that we all enjoy, without all the current hiccups.

I hope they don't spend any serious amount of time on this "momentary invulnerability" animation issue - and just move forward......

All my opinion, of course.........;)

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.