Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Flagged PVP - Ganked by PVE-ers!

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Fister Magee, Apr 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I understand that it didn't really happen, but the fact that it could theoretically happen makes you unflag yourself.

What I would like to know is, does this really happen? If so, does it happen often? I think I asked this same question in a different thread but never got an answer.

Fister Magee likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

While this isn't really an answer. I have no doubt at all, that if it can happen.. it will. And once the game is 'live' it will happen a lot. If the 'PKers' can't freely attack non-combatants.. they'll find their easy markers another way. (Assuming the game allows it).. and they'll justify it by saying 'the game allows it' and 'they're flagged so they want to fight'.

3. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

4. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

So on the town guards thing, somewhere there is text stating that the town guards don't care what happens between outlander v. outlander violence.

That being said, depending on what type of weapons they are using, a tactic might be to run near a townsperson to make it worth the guard's while. ;)

What if the PVP flag could only be toggled in overworld maps e.g. Novia/Hidden Vale? Thus, one couldn't sneak attack from a PvE guise.

5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Imagined or not, who's to say it works that way or not? If you've never tried it, it may not be allowed... If you've never tried it and only "imagined" it, then you don't know if it's allowed or not... I would think if your not flagged, then you can't attack another player (first strike) because they would be defenseless, unless as stated above, you become flagged yourself, so they can take retaliation... Once flagged, I would think that one would need to go to the Oracle and beg forgiveness and pay a hefty fine (1/2 your bank balance) for your transgression, maybe even loose half your skills and need to tour the realm making penance to all you have offended... Go to every city square and stand on a soap box, humbling yourself, everyone near would have a bag of roten fruit to throw at you...

Imagination is a funny thing, you can imagine anything you want...

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Yes, so what are you imagining? And what is your stance on this PVP and do you understand or care that the PVP crowd is very small, and soon to be nonexistant? Are you flagged, or do you just have a big chat voice?

In any case, thanks for your feedback :) And I'm sure the devs will take everything into consideration. That's what we are here for! :)

7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

To me it's common sense. If a pvp flagged player is attacked and killed by a non flagged player, the non flagged player(and helpers) would remain flagged to "only" the player they killed until they themselves were killed by that same player. Therefore gaining revenge and shutting off the flag. No need to recreate the wheel on this one, it works and also makes the game much more fun. Everyone likes revenge.

8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I can imagine that you started this post to stir up the pot, and when it didn't go well, you started calling it "imaginary", which isn't how you stated it in the OP, you stated it as if it had happened to you... I think my stand is clear, harsh penalties for players who aren't flagged, attacking (first strike) on a flagged player... In both inconvenience and monatery, the more I think about it, the more I think it unlikely a bunch of PvE would bother with a PvP buying reagents, so your scenerio would most likely never happen, and the Dev's have already discounted any modifications to the code to protect against it...

In other words there's no real problem the way it is, so...

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Again, thanks for your opinion, it is very clear. Maybe another post to make it crystal clear?? :)

10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

What can I say, easily fooled?

Maybe you were part of that PVE gang that ganked me then? Maybe you are enjoying this broken system in order to further your ganker agenda? Who are your buddies? :)

11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

What makes me laugh on these boards is when someone say its fine the way it is then you realise it was just a placeholder waiting for its replacement in line :)

Just a matter of time before the devs realise that flagging pvp is not equal joining order or chaos. Or perhaps as I said, its already in the plans...

Fister Magee likes this.
  12. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Thanks Ahu! Exactly why I posted this, the Dev's are hopefully aware that we are aware.. and that this thread's replies really help this matter come around to getting some solutions worked out, at least on our side, up to the Devs what they do.. but at least they know our concerns with the current system.

Even those that oppose change do add valuable insight to the game.

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

In fact since we are working with Sims like mechanics, we should have a script that prevents more than 4 players from attacking another in pvp.

Its really fun when you can get them all, but at one point it stops being fun.

What really worries me is that for a long time during early pvp releases, it was said this game was going to have great pvp and we made it a kind of priority because supposedly huge pvp guilds were joining.

And we didn't even think about limiting ganks ? I dunno who's job it was... but *waves* hello...

Not a complaint however I never get attacked or meet other pvp flagged players anyways, I mean its alot of things to think about but yea I'd push those priorities back @ the top.

Fister Magee likes this.
  14. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Easy Fix, remove the ability to attack anyone unless YOU are flagged PVP. Pvp players cant attack non flagged players. Pve players should NOT be allowed to attack flagged pvp players. End of story. This nonsence about wanting impromptu pvp is horse butt.. if you want to PVP flag or hunt in a shardfall.

blaquerogue, Xail, Rinaldi and 4 others like this.
  15. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

100% easiest and that is also the solution I'd go with, or have started with in the first place.

blaquerogue, Xail and stratigos like this.
  16. Womby

Womby Avatar

I think Portalarium is harbouring some fantasy that PVE-only players can be lured into trying PVP by making it very easy to do so spontaneously. Speaking as one of those PVE-only players, that won't happen. Really. It won't. It's like offering a vegetarian a big rare steak.

What will happen is that unflagged PVP players will use this mechanism as a way to ambush those who openly flag PVP. Is that the desired outcome? If so, it seems seriously unbalanced, especially since the ambusher(s) can quickly unflag by leaving the scene.

Sure, it will cause some people to temporarily flag PVP - until they can reach the nearest exit, anyway. Unfortunately as currently implemented the unflagged ambushes will cause some others to stop flagging PVP altogether.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Leelu, blaquerogue, Xail and 5 others like this.
  17. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

It started that way indeed. But as usual, just because something has problems it doesn't justify being removed entirely. There are problems with current implementation indeed, but that doesn't mean there's no way to fix it. From my point of view, the main problems with this feature are how quickly an attacker can leave and the lack of protection from the guards, leaving you completely unprotected even when you're at town. The last one is the one that bothers me the most; i want to fight while i'm adventuring not while i'm crafting (and yes that's a true story from before non flagged people could attack flagged people).

Assuming all that got fixed, i don't see any more problems with the feature; in fact it increases the chances of having a PVP encounter, since i'm a living target.
    Exactly! that's what happened in UO when groups of Blues hunted Pks, or more in line with the case, when som blues gathered enough karma to get away with a kill, then killed you and looted you dry. that is, IF he manages to kill you :D Great stories came from that situation back in the days.

PVP flagging is wanting so much pvp that you're willing to take the first hit. And being able to be attacked by everyone increase your chances to get PVP. Most people i've talked with about this feature told me "sounds cool, but unbalanced", and i think the same way. Why not try to balance it instead of just taking it down?

18. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Yes, I'm very much interested in all the other ideas and how other games have done this, or gone through their growing pains. Refinement of this mechanism is entirely likely in the future, and acceptable as well.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  19. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

Poor PvP'ers. Gankers ? Lets see... who does that sort of thing ? It's not fair ? They should have to pay a fine ? Hmmmm.
    Sounds like pay back to me. Deal with it!
    Just thought this thread was funny. Not putting anyone down. Just was having fun with it.

KuBaTRiZeS and Fister Magee like this.
  20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

A PvPer complaining that they were ganked by PvErs should:

1- Know better than to buy items in a busy town.
    2- Be so ashamed that they don't talk about it.
    3- If that disturbed by the situation, probably shouldn't be flagged PvP as it the outcome would be the same if a bunch of PvPers had attacked.....thus the whole argument of PvErs attacking you is null and void.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Leelu, smack, Duke Gréagóir and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.