Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

a few major complaints R28 first impressions

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Damian Killingsworth, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

And it loks like Papua! :p

stratigos likes this.
  2. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Nothing really gets tracked in the bug forums because they get deleted every release.

I am reporting the exact same issues for R28 as I did for R27, a lot of these have to do with the in-game tools for reporting bugs being broken which is extra frustrating. There are also some things, like the Blood River Massacre exit bug, where there were several corroborating posts where we zeroed in on the exact issue in the R27 forum which are now gone forever and instead we have @Attenwood in the R28 thread asking for more information (which was in the R27 thread, so clearly it was never 'tracked'). Really all this is doing is making me wonder if it's worth bothering reporting bugs at all.

If you want to use the forum for tracking bugs my advice would be to stop deleting all the bug reports every month.

Ice Queen, agra and Fister Magee like this.
  3. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

They aren't deleted, they're just moved out of the active forum. We link to them in JIRAs (our bug tracking software) and those links persist beyond releases.

Attenwood asks for more/current information on older bugs frequently because the game is a moving target - something may have changed in the interim.

4. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

But we don't have access to your JIRA, all we have is the forum threads, and about half the issues I've reported so far for R28 are identical to ones reported in R27. Whether they get 'tracked' or not seems to be basically down to random chance, and as someone posting bugs I have no way to confirm either way.

When we tell you an issue was reported in the last release do you go through the non-active threads to look for the reports?

5. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

That's actually exactly what I do when I discover something was reported in a previous release. We have the power! :)

Unfortunately, when there's a great volume of reporting occurring, there's the opportunity for bugs to fall through the cracks. We try to be more attentive, but there it is. The vast majority of bugs that are rereported fall into the category of known issues if they were responded to and reported in previous releases, and waiting resolution of some kind on our end. That said, yes, there are a few that simply get missed as we triage for critical issues.

If you would like to add some extra emphasis to a post and make sure my eyes catch it for review, feel free to tag me in them, otherwise I'll be combing through them as best I can.

Thanks!

6. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Well the problem there is that if you ended up getting tagged all the time you're back where you started, and also the time when I know that something I reported in the last release should have been tagged for extra attention is after I can't access any of the posts for the last release. You have a relatively large volunteer army that could direct you to the exact post if we still had access to it. The key is to leverage that rather than drown in it. Is it possible to have the previous releases posts available in read only mode instead of hidden from us altogether?

7. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

I think this is going too far in the other direction currently. Using a greatsword, my common tactic is to chase them and paddle their behinds as they run long distances to find a "safe" shooting spot. At least at the moment, archers appear to be less effective since they spend more time moving and less time shooting. Course player dps is lowered because often times they have to trail the archer/caster and count on more regular attacks/less skillz.

Time Lord and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  8. Noric

Noric Avatar

I'm not sure that i think this is an issue. From a tactical perspective a lone archer is not particularly amazing, and in groups they still spend time sniping you in the back as you attack their friend. Multi-target attacks are largely ineffective against anything but melee's for the most part i am seeing, so I'm not sure if that should be a consideration.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Since some feedback about this "tactic" of archers is being discussed, i'll drop my piece. As an archer myself, is extremely convenient to have enemies running away from me while i shoot. I manage to kill ranged enemies without almost being touched, while if they just stand still and shoot they destroy me in no time. I think they should only "flee" when they're attacked with melee attacks, and even so i think that just fleeing make them less effective, as Jefe said above, since any player runs as much as the archer mobs.

Bluefire, Fister Magee and Time Lord like this.
  10. Noric

Noric Avatar

I'll definitely second this - bit silly that they run and make themselves open to archery backshots.

edit: Or maybe try running when receiving ranged damage from a target they are not firing at. Trying to find something with cover from the attacker while maintaining their own target might be a natural tendency.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    KuBaTRiZeS and Time Lord like this.
  11. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

For the most part, they simply break away from the herd 180 degrees of the angle of incident/attack. If you have multiple ranged opponents then even in a multi-archer situation you will have the archers running after you to get in range because the fights can involve long treks if the archers have decently sized hp pools.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Noric

Noric Avatar

That may depend on the location. I've been killing some groups in the Rise that have plenty of time for some backshots...

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

You have a point. We've been doing it this way since long before I came into the process. I'll bring it up with the team this week to see if there's anything actionable here, because I agree. Redundancy is best to be avoided on the part of both of us. ^_^

14. Noric

Noric Avatar

Would there be a way to mirror a simplified part of JIRA back as a known-issues diplay?

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops:~Archers vs Archers~
    I have no archery exp to draw from, yet it would make sense to me that archers vs archers would be a standing battle with possibly mor archers coming to the aide of one, thus creating a battle front, "yet for the solo archer, this would seem more daunting, the more that did show up to fire back". This would seem less likely to me for the player solo archer to be able to cut one out from the herd... but like I said, I have no exp within our archery...

:oops:~Archer vs Melee~
    It's difficult to combat a 4 foot long piece of steel, thus I do see where the archer should be running away from it, yet I would also say that, "becoming wounded, that they should slow down". Of course this would also mean that player archers and everything else within our game would also need to slow from damage"... which I don't think will ever change that way. Dying into the mob hoping to kill a few before I die or have a chance to run and returning seems my only tactic for dealing with them, or having a character skill level far above the archer mob in order to get more than a few...

:oops:~Lone Wolf vs The Fellowship~
    Standing off and drawing out is the other option for me, yet this seems a far less enjoyable choice, thus hunting archers with a character far above the mob's skill level is my preferred.
    I do enjoy the multiple archers and their actions, because they demonstrate how some things within our SOTA will take a collective bunch of players to overcome without death, some aspects of our game.
    Everything within our game should not be able to be killed or approached without a ~Fellowship~, because that has always been a legacy issue within all Ultima's past.

:oops:~Watch Yourself~:confused:
    Player Lone Wolf style hunting should not be the standard by which we judge or adjust all things within our game...
    ~Time Lord~
    :rolleyes:

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  16. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I have a solution for this, since the dawn of time.

Set the old bug report forums as read-only for the general users, and r/w for devs.

- We don't have to re-re-re-re-re-re-report bugs: we save TONS of time
    - You don't have to comb thru "known issues": you (as Attenwood and as general devs) save TONS of time
    - We see your lovely "bug entered" post added at the end of old report threads and know it's being considered: we live happy
    - When you're tagged in a new bug, it's probably an *ACTUALLY* new one: you live happy

17. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Proper tactics vary by the situation. Terrain being a factor in the decision making process. Didn't say that there is a possibility of backshots. Given enough running room, since there is no maximum bounds/tether, then it is possible to outstrip the other archers. In a dungeon, that is a bit less likely. But then, in a dungeon LoS blockers tend to be more available.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

This is one reason I'm extremely frustrated with trying to participate in the bug fixing process... I feel like I'm losing my time while we're in the age of cloud computing and open source.

Feels archaic, everyone has to reread everyone and we can't even have a direct flag for resolved issues ? More time with double reports for no reason...

About archers... at one point an archer understands that it cannot run. If the enemy cannot run faster and feel trapped, it should pull out a dagger or something and try to hand to hand.

EVERYONE knows that, and WHY am I feeling so angry thinking about all this again, its just a freakin GAME !

I am so completely annoyed with the archer behaviors that I just don't hunt archers... this is not fun. :(

Chatele, Aldo and Time Lord like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Thanks @Ahuaeynjgkxs , ~it's good to see that the golden age of wisdom isn't dead~ Yes to what AHuaeynjgkxs just said +1 :)!
    "Why didn't I think of that?"... must be the early stages of Alzheimer's :( I'm doomed... o_O
    ~Time Lord~:D

20. Noric

Noric Avatar

Once you get high enough level there aren't a lot of options to avoid them. Control points, the Rise(has tons in most places) upper level skele/elf spawns(etceter foothills), upper level cultists(spectral foothills and Sequanna Colossus). I think Obsidian animals are about the only nonboss/archerless mobs in the game that are still blue to me and i don't know many spawns with a lot of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.