Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

linux launcher not launching

Discussion in 'Release 28 Bug Forum' started by Alley Oop, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

if there's an update, it downloads and patches it directly, but hitting the launch game when it's done does nothing. app starts properly from a direct shortcut.

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Is this still occurring? There is a known issue about Linux crashing at application launch. Does this sound similar to that case?

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yes, it is consistent.

no, this has been a rather non-crashy release.

4. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hrm. We'll make a point to take a closer look at Linux tomorrow to see if we can reproduce this. Thank you.

5. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I think I've seen something sorta like this. The launcher updates the game but then it sits there when you click on launch. Sometimes the launcher will just disappear from my desktop after starting it. I've been digging into what's going on. I noticed the prefs file under the following path get's updated when I exit the launcher

~/.config/unity3d/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher$

The Resolution Height goes to zero and sometimes the Width as well. The Screenmanager is Fullscreen mode changes from one to zero. Running the ps command shows the launcher is running. However I don't see it anymore. And the game doesn't start in either case.

I think I'm seeing two different problems here.

How I've been playing is by modifying the prefs file so fullscreen mode is 1, and I define some height and width. Run the launcher then the game will patch and launch properly. Usually :)

Sometimes I've still had to launch the game directly after the patching completed. Launcher has at times just sat there. Running the game directly with --use-opengl usually works.

Oh and after exiting the launcher, I usually have to modify the prefs file again as described above. I'm 'thinking' maybe a unity engine issue? I hope this helps.

1. Title: Launcher not launching
    2. Reproduction Rate: as described above nearly 100%. Sometimes it will launch just fine. But only if I modify the prefs file as described above.
    3. Blocker? Not really however it would frustrate someone not used to messing around a bit.
    4. User Specs: KUbuntu 14.04, Geforce GTX 960, AMD FX-8310 Eight Core Proc, 16 Gigs ram, Asus M5A97 R2.0

padreadamo and Alley Oop like this.
  6. padreadamo

padreadamo Avatar

7. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Hmmm... Dunno though it sounds like you are using Steam. I've been tempted to do that myself. However I've resisted tying into my steam account only to make sure I was testing it without any additional moving pieces. So far the work arounds mentioned have been successful for me at least. I'm curious if R29 may help correct it all.

8. padreadamo

padreadamo Avatar

I have tried with Steam and without.

9. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I don't know what to say there. I've been digging more and more into Unity for Linux. Trying to understand how it all works. Until R 27 things went well for me. Then the launcher started acting all wonky. But not consistently. Which is what caught me by surprise. I thought about submitting a bug but where to start? It's been a tough one to figure out.

I think I'm getting closer. And I'm pretty sure it's something freaky going on with Unity. I figure I should toss my hat into the ring here as it sounded close enough to what I'm seeing :)

Thinking of setting up another computer with Ubuntu 16 and see if I get different results from a fresh install. And I just happen to have one almost as nice as this computer to test on :D

10. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

R29 fails as well through Steam (didn't try standalone)...

I couldn't even make it work by changing the prefs file as suggested. That's 2 releases without being able to play on Linux :( Ubuntu 14.04 here

11. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

Update> it was my fault, my PC is not SotA compatible anymore... :oops: Maybe this happened some releases ago but i wasn't aware of it

This was the output running the x86_64 binary directly:
    Failed to set up master OpenGL context (OpenGL Core (any supported profile)).
    Your GPU/driver may not meet the minimum requirements ( <OpenGL 3.2>)

And my card seems to be too old for updates :oops::oops::oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.