Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Flagged PVP - Ganked by PVE-ers!

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Fister Magee, Apr 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Ahh... these are sad times indeed when passing PvE'ers say Ni at will to PvP'ers. These are also bad times for people who arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.

2. Womby

Womby Avatar

It isn't PVP that stops SotA from being a Medieval Sims Online. It's the story line and associated quests. SotA is a Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (with optional offline mode) - i.e., a MORPG. (It is not an MMORPG because, due to instancing, it lacks the "Massive" part.) Sure, you can use it to pretty much do whatever you like (play gustball, make a movie, build a maze, hold a quiz show... it is after all more sandbox than theme park), but at its heart it is a role playing game, and has a story line to follow. Three, in fact.

3. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

If players are not flagged as PVP, there is no way they should be able to attack flagged players. There should also be a delay after changing flagged status, with some sort of visible indicator.

4. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Caesar would've liked that when he walked into the Roman Senate. ;)

Fister Magee likes this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

You know what makes me sad ? There is no Underworld and no Giant Mushroom for me to crack open a book under, as per your sig. :(

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Actually there is, some PoTs have this template :)

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

Where ?

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Many, many of us Womby I'm sure loved the book, love Ultima lore and dragonlance books (Tracy Hickman) but are completely unable to "role-play" in a social setting if noone cares who you are and your actions have very limited repercussion on anything really.

You could say WoW has a storyline... but everyone is following the same storyline... so the most you can be is "another of those outlanders".

It's what bothers me most... I see this GREAT potential and amazing community we have but I just know oh a little too well that when I present myself. Hello I'm Royal knight *mystery* how may I help you Milady.

Most if not all the time I will get "sorry I don't need your help uhm, whatever." "I don't care who you are" "I don't roleplay"

Like I always do, in pretty much all games that offer this kind of "flag" and arena type PvP.

I get the WoW feels when I play our SotA, not a ultima feel.

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I was around shardfalls when I found one, I can't recall the name sorry man, but I'm sure there is a list of PoTs somewhere ?

It was an IMMENSE cave with mushrooms all over ! in fact it was so huge I got lost

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  10. Womby

Womby Avatar

Neath (on the shore near PaxLair - looks like a rock on the world map) is an underground biome with giant mushrooms.

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Neath is pretty cool. OK, I stand corrected :) Hard to see it's even a town :)

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

People calling it "ironic" (PvE'ers with no PvP experience, I would assume) have it all wrong. There is nothing ironic about it. Its not only unfair, its just simply broken, that a non-PVP-flagged player can attack a PVP player at will. It makes far more sense that no-flag simply does 0 damage to PvP-flag (and cant target, cant cast on them, etc). It makes the best sense that if a no-flag attacks a PvP-flag, it becomes painful to unflag. Zoning out to un-flag is rediculous and an exploit.

I kind of like the idea suggested a few pages back, that if you have no-flag, and attack a PvP player, you have to go to the Oracle and do a miniquest of some sort to get your no-flag status back. Either that, or the flag should last a very long time. I also like the idea of the PvP'er that was attacked remaining invulnerable for a few seconds too. Whatever happens to balance it out, a no-flag has to be penalized for flagging in that way.

I also agree that it would be better to balance this out rather than return to 2 separate in-game communities entirely. More should be done to blend PvP with PvE. Naturally I am in full support of UO mechanics, and think everyone should be able to attack anything at any time (with appropriate consequences via game mechanics). Either way, I dont think the best solution is to return to being unable to flag PvP by attacking someone. I just think no-flag attacks on PvP should come with some sort of penalty that assures the attacker/aggressor will be "forsaken" by the PvE world for a considerable chunk of time.

This situation is completely unlike getting ganked as a "blue" in UO, and completely unlike getting ganked in sanctioned PvP scenarios (be it faction, guild, or PKing). Its just an exploit that guarantees a cheap shot. And, as stated, deters more people from joining the smoker's section that is PvP in SoTA.

13. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree that players should have to flag before attacking. It just seems ... virtuous.

But what is the practical difference of someone striking then auto-flagging, vs. flagging and quickly striking one second later while the poor victim in looking in their bank?

If the concern is sudden ganking, it would seem that some time is also needed for PVP flag activation, else it all ends up being about the same, no?

Chatele, stratigos and Fister Magee like this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thats the thing... the only reason I flagged pvp is because I'm against the medieval sims online thing, its symbolic and I know for many others it is as well, I personally never met a pvp flagged person exept in a few testing tournaments and never could thus attack someone.

For me those "rules" make not even one bit of ultima sucessor sense and it insults me just to think about it and it made me really dislike pvp, for the same reasons I stopped pvping in UO for the last 10 years...

Furthermore, the hatred people have for pvpers in this dark forum has seeped into my heart, making me hateful again (towards the anti siege perilous/anti-roleplay mob) and the real irony is that raw violence and ganking I've become totally numbed to. I could get gankedd 10 times and I'd feel nothing, no rush, no adrenaline, nothing.

In fact I probably won't even pvp and let myself be killed if someone wants to get me. It's that bad and I'm getting in that bad of a state of mind.

Ima repeat for the 100th time but wanting to participate in pvp does not mean I want to be perma flagged and people to bother me at the bank or while I craft, this is when you join a chaos or order guild.

The fact nobody seems to understand this simple concept is mind-locking me to no end. I'm supposed to be a royal knight fcs.. and now not only my title means nothing but it also can be made totally ridiculous by letting people the freedom to kill me without any type of penalty.

I've become a total joke, in all planes of reality... and a bad joke at that.

15. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

So with that kind of system "genuine" PK will stay unflagged for PvP and will gank PvP flagged player without any penalty... Until there is not any player flagged PvP to prey on. Then PK will leave this game.

Perhaps is it intended...

16. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

The difference is huge, and it is this:

You can't just flag PvP anywhere, you have to go to the Oracle. Then you have to approach your target flagged for PvP which means you are a potential target as you approach. And it also means that when you leave the scene you remain flagged PvP and can be followed into the next scene (where you might try to unflag) and attacked.

17. sake888

sake888 Avatar

I don't have a horse in this race as I'm not flagged for PVP, nor will I jump into a PVP fight just because I can. It truly seems like a weasel-ish thing to do.

I don't know who decided the game needed this feature, but I feel it was a mistake. As a PVE player I can easily see how this would really tip the scales for PVP players to leave SOTA for another game. Not to mention the bad word of mouth results that accompany it.

From a purely game enriching standpoint, how does this current PVP feature enhance the game?

blaquerogue, Phydra, argyle and 3 others like this.
  18. Trome

Trome Avatar

Ganked by PVE-ers!

I find this completely stupid rule.

It is highly negative for the development of pvp.

19. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

My feedback as a PVEer:

My understanding is that ganking by unflagged players is not happening. I keep asking if it has really happened and no one has given a positive reply.

So the discussion is really about the failings of the current ruleset which, at some future time, could result in gankers unflagging themselves in order to get the drop on flagged PVPers and then escape, safe in their unflaggedness. (I think I coined a word there!)

I believe that PVPers have a valid reason to request that the ruleset be changed to prevent such dastardliness. But as long as it is not taking place, I think it is premature for PVPers to stop flagging themselves for this reason alone.

20. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Yes, one of the PvP leaders on Chris's recent post repeatedly attacks me while he's unflagged.

KuBaTRiZeS and Kara Brae like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.